Trouble getting Discogs sellers to answer questions ...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by steelydanguy, Jun 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't say I've made a ton of purchases on the Discogs website, but I've made my share. Generally speaking, I've been satisfied with the items -- vinyl records and CDs -- I've received through third-party sellers on the site.

However, it seems that I've had mediocre-to-poor luck in getting sellers to respond to questions I have about the condition of records. Worse luck than Amazon.com for sure, where I usually hear back from sellers. On Discogs, it seems like for every person who responds to my questions, there are three or four who don't -- at least lately.

My questions for Discogs sellers are generally the same ones I ask Amazon.com sellers, and I usually only deal with sellers with top ratings on either site. I typically have about four questions I ask to make sure the record and inserts are in good condition and that the disc I'm buying isn't a record-club or cutout version.

In any case, I was wondering whether anyone else has run into this issue. Or maybe I'm just having a run of bad luck lately.

2. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

I sell and buy in Discogs and it works well for me on both sides. When people ask questions I always answer, I send photos when requested and listen to the record to confirm the condition accurately. But guess what - 90% of those who ask questions don't buy, and most don't have the decency to say thank you for my spending time answering fully and accurately. If someone wants me to confirm that a record I sell is NM and I confirm it with photos and after a repeat listening, then what reason do they have for not buying?
    I personally don't mind doing that anyway, and I mean this genuinely, but it is tempting to think that most of those who ask questions are not serious. It almost feels like there is a group of people who have nothing better to do, so they actively search for records they know they are not going to buy.
    Having said that I love Discogs. Much better than ebay, and I even try to be helpful by adding to the database records and photos when I have time.

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Hit or miss on Discogs with sellers with info for me, but for general purchases I've had excellent service
    I think it depends on what type of 'store' they operate, some may be bulk sellers who haven't the slightest idea, and some collectors who actually know their product
    I gave up trying to find Thomas Dolby's 'The Golden Age' US JVC on discogs, all of the sellers were clueless on the different variations of the US press and length times...
    'Record Club' pressings don't necessarily mean a sub-standard product, but I know what you mean :)

4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

What is your name on Discogs then?

5. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I realize that -- whether it's on Amazon, eBay, Discogs or another site -- oftentimes a seller will answer questions and/or provide photos and a buyer will end up not purchasing the item. But from a buyer's perspective, it's better to ask specific questions so you know exactly what you're getting when buying used CDs and vinyl records.

And it's been my experience that Amazon.com third-party sellers are more likely to answer my buyer questions than the sellers on Discogs are, for whatever reason. I've had better luck getting responses on eBay as well, though Amazon has been the best.

6. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

i love when prospective customers ask questions. less chance of missunderstandings afterwards.

the reason less discog's sellers answer is because they, on the whole are more part time sellers and probably don't check their emails like ebay and amazon sellers do. amazon holds your feet to the grill to answer questions very quickly so you should get answers quicker there. i bet some discog sellers forget about items that are on there because they don't get near the hits or action that amazon and ebay get. doesn't hurt to resend the question.

spencer1812, c-eling and Simon A like this.
  7. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

Same name as here

bibijeebies likes this.
  8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

There is no protection on Discogs for buyers like myself from scam ripoff artists like there is on ebay, it's horrible.

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Horrible? I've never had any issues- in fact just the opposite. Every transaction has been great. What has happened to you?

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Everything purchased through Paypal protects you.

black sheriff, Dave and R. Totale like this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Not if you pay via paypal. One big difference though is that paypal won't force the seller to pay for return postage like ebay will if you ask for it.

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

They do now, at least within the US (other countries' Paypal may have different rules). Maybe different in Canada.

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I haven't actually had an issue in a while as most things get dealt with via ebay so things might have changed. I do know there's a program where Paypal will pay for the return shipping, but that's on them cost wise and not the sellers. When did they start asking sellers to pay for return shipping in the US?

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

More than a year ago - about the time they required anything bought through PP to be returnable for six months after the purchase.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind for paypal transactions outside of ebay. Thanks for that tip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.