DCC Archive Troubleshooting problems in disc dubbing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pauljones, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef Thread Starter

I would appreciate anyone helping me with problems dubbing discs on my JVC XL-R5000 compact disc recorder. First, using synchronized dubbing, either 1x or 2x speeds, there will be a "jump" or portion of a second pause during track number change, where songs segue together. This problem does not exist during manual 1x recording. Another problem is that during dubbing, the first second or so of a track is clipped off of the copies in some instances. Are the two abovementioned problems indicative of a defective player, or just an unfortunate engineering design? The warranty is almost up; please help!

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Most consumer dubbing decks record using a "track-at-once" method, meaning that the laser turns off and then on again at a track transition. This is done for the convenience of the (usually) novice user so that tracks can be added one by one at convenience. The other reason, and less probable but possible, is to please the record industry worried about copying. That's also why the SCMS copy management system is there. Some burners will indeed make a clone under certain conditions.

Some companies, like Phillips, FORCE the recorder to copy everything analog and intentionally DEGRADE the sound by limiting the frequency response to around 15 or 16,000kHz to keep people from making perfect copies, another probable consession to the record companies paranoid of "unauthorized" mass duplication.

This all is why people opt for either pro CD recorders or computer-based CD-R systems.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Grant T. ]

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Grant T. ]

3. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef Thread Starter

Thanks, Grant! This confirms my decision (urged strongly by my wife) to purchase a new computer with CD burning capability and relegate the existing computer to the master bedroom. It is very frustrating to try to duplicate CDs that segue songs only to discover upon listening that the original listening experience is destroyed. I have also noticed that certain masters I make have random results; some may dub just fine, but some may skip--the copies, not the originals. Thanks for your input!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.