True Blood Gets Eaten By That Shark, The One That is Invincible and Lives Forever etc

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jmrife, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music. Thread Starter

So, my wife and I have been fans, mostly of the first season, less so of the second, of this series.

Last night, after the episode, I turned to her and asked "Why are we still watching this?"

She said "I thought it as just me."

I know that HBO gets great numbers from the series, but it has become, IMO, somewhat silly. In order to be truly scary, the plot lines and characters have to be taken seriously.

Seems the only creatures in Bon Temps who are not vampires, werewolves, shape shifters or whatever supernatural beings are nincompoops.

We are done being treated like two of the nincompoops.

Daz and lbangs like this.
  2. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

have you tried the books? I always thought they were more fun than the TV Series, even if a little on the chick-litty side.

I didn't feel that it had to be scary from the books, just underlying threats but mostly loving Sookie. The TV series played up too much of the sex, IMO

3. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I thought it was the stupidity they were playing up.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My daughter and I said the same thing halfway through the 2nd season of "Lost."

I guess some people suffer from "curiosity killed the cat syndrome." They can't possibly tear themselves away from a series unless they know what finally happened to character 13b in subplot 42. Personally, I find the slings and arrows of real life enough to unravel.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Lost really worked for me. True Blood. . . I stuck through Season One just barely, gave up after that.

6. Ray K.

Ray K. New Member

I thought the show found more of its voice when it played out a tad more on the ridiculous side. I used to joke about a Drunk Andy & Jason spin-off last season… I’m kind of getting my wish. Personally I find when it tries to be too serious it slips into unintentionally silly territory. A little camp does the soul good.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  7. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music. Thread Starter

Guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.

8. What took you so long? :D

9. bw

bw Forum Resident

Try watching the new series of Entourage. It is so bad this season that I doubt it would survive on free tv.

HBO hit home runs with Treme and The Pacifc, but this summer their stuff sucks.

10. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

Anybody else hoping that crazy kidnapping vampire flies off the lid and kills Tara? She's incredibly annoying.

11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

12. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I don't know why but I got HBO again to watch this show. It's even more soap opera than ever. Well, at least I got to see all the Pacific episodes too which was totally worth it and I'll be watching that Jack Kevorkian thing too the next time it's on. I'll be able to cancel HBO just in time to pick up Showtime for Dexter and my wife can also watch all the old U.S. of Tara episodes too with their On Demand.

13. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Has anyone been watching the final season? I have and think it's a little over the top even by TB standards.

jlc76 likes this.
  14. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

It's also a lot more political that I remembered it being, I guess they have to get in all their jabs in the last season.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm still watching. But I'm also sill watching 'Glee', so my threshold for insane nonsense is not the same as the average bear.

Got a big laugh at how, in the season premiere, when Sookie was listening in on everyone's thoughts, all anyone was thinking about was how much they hate Sookie. Now, while drunk and partying, she again listened in to everyone's thoughts and now all anyone is thinking about is how much they love Sookie.

No wonder nothing ever gets done in Bon Temps - it's an entire town that does nothing but think about Sookie Stackhouse 24/7! I used to think she was pretty dim with an overinflated ego but, hey, maybe there's a good reason for that.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's been like that for a few seasons. It's always had some political/social commentary ("God Hates Fangs" for example), but its been more heavy handed the last few seasons. I think. Or maybe its just more noticable as the show has been so silly. I've watched it from the beginning. I think the first two seasons are fantastic, but after that it went a little and then a lot downhill. The last three seasons have been mostly crap. I'm finishing out the series just so I don't have to bother later if I get to wondering what happened, but I haven't looked forward to an episode in a long time.

17. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

:righton:

18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I tuned out for a couple seasons, came back last and saw that I hadn't missed much. Like you I'm just watching to be done with it, but there's no joy in it.

John k.

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

True Blood has always been campy to me but I still watch it. I've always been amazed how all the guys just flock to Sookie... I'd take Jessica Hamby any day over Sookie...

Only 5 episodes left...

Complier likes this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Except. . . Jessica is a vampire. :)

21. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

[​IMG]

googlymoogly likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How's Vikings?

23. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

GREAT !!!

alexpop likes this.
  24. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Still waiting for that elusive first Super Bowl ring.

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The season seven box art is up already at TVshowsondvd. It's either extremely misleading or intentionally giving away a HUGE spoiler for the end of the series. Either way; not cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.