True Detective HBO Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tlake6659, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Just noticed that the DVD/Blu Ray release isn't happening till June 10! I've dropped HBO a few days ago so really have no way to re-watch this until then. I wish they'd do like PBS and release the show right after the airing of the final episode. Seems like it makes more sense from a marketing view too - release it while it's hot and on everyone's minds. I don't understand the 3 month delay.

humanbeing likes this.
  2. You haven't really heard this song until you hear Joan Osborne sing it.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe so people don't drop HBO?

4. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I just started watching this, so far through ep 5. I really like it. I feel it bears some similarities to the Red Riding Series from the UK. I wish more shows were like this.

woody likes this.
  5. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

I haven't seen RR series, I'll give that a look next week.

I don't know how or what people compare one show with another, but (soundtrack aside) there are at least a few which i'd compare to TD with, in quality, intensity, plot and innovation. Like Prime Suspect 1 (England) and Spiral (France),

6. News on the second season
    More details have emerged about the cast and setting of “True Detective” season two, which will have three new leads, according to creator Nic Pizzolatto.

TV PILOTS/DEVELOPMENT SCORECARD: Follow the action during upfront season

In a recent interview with public radio program “To the Best of Our Knowledge,” Pizzolatto revealed that in the new season’s current form, “we’re working with three leads. It takes place in California — not Los Angeles, but some of the much lesser known venues of California — and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambiance of the place, much like we did in season one.”

He added, “The characters are all new, but I’m deeply in love with each of them. We’ve got the entire series broken out with a couple of scripts, and we’ll probably start casting in earnest in the coming months.”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/tru...st-three-leads-california-setting-1201193624/

Full story,at Variety.com

agentalbert, Deuce66 and marblesmike like this.
  7. woody

woody Forum Resident

Yes. That Red Riding series was great.

johnnyyen and macdaddysinfo like this.
  8. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Received my Blu Ray set today. Very disappointing that it doesn't have resume-where-left-off capability. Thanks a lot HBO. Seems like that feature should be pretty much standard by now.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

They want to make sure you are aware that views expressed in a commentary do not represent the view of HBO blah blah blah, and they want you to know this EVERY SINGLE TIME you fire up the disc. This is important.

10. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Yep. The assumption is customers are all either idiots or prospective criminals who must be incessantly warned not to distribute copies. In the meantime, lack of this resume feature diminishes the set's value and reduces the likelihood of me buying future HBO releases. This is only 8 episodes - I can live with this, but what about the upcoming Sopranos blu ray set and similar large sets? What a nightmare.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, it was annoying, but it's a minor issue really, considering how brilliant the series was.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Killer HBO series! looking forward to the next season...

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Whoa nelly. My wife and I watched the first three eps. First show we've enjoyed since breaking bad. Creepy and a nice slow burn, great writing and acting. MM is amazing so far especially in the interview room, but woody is doing phenomenal work too. Very layered subtle performances

ssmith3046 likes this.
  14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Great show - watched it on Blu-ray.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one can't go wrong with 2 great actors in a series...I was blown away by their performances, but MM was incredible! and has the edge.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  16. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Avoid spoiler below:

Terrific, tight series until it got to the last episode. Green ears->green paint->house painted green->house painter's name remembered 20 years later by old lady in nursing home?

Way, way too big a deductive stretch to reach the end. I had to rewatch that logic sequence several times in disbelief, after all the great writing that had come before it.

jon9091 likes this.
  17. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I watched this series via iTunes this week, finishing last night. I thought it was well-made, well-acted and otherwise forgettable. Now I'm reading this thread, realizing I totally missed the point (wish I'd had the King In Yellow background), and have to go through it again...

...as soon as I get through all the Fargo that's occupying my iPad. (First two eps of that were pretty great, but that's another thread I'm not reading yet).

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Exactly the same thing I said as it went down. That took some of the steam out of an otherwise excellent series.

vegafleet likes this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Similar to my recent thoughts about this season of 24, I thought there were too few episodes -- and by the time they had set everything up, they ran out of time to bring it to conclusion at a pace that fit with rest of the season

20. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Great series IMHO. The green paint was just the sort of OMG awakening to explain the inexplicable part of the story that they had been investigating for years. It's like the lights went on - a great moment for me.

21. I liked the show quite a bit but some of the detecting was a bit of a leap to say the least. I still feel the conclusion was rushed and a bit unbelievable but, on the whole, I enjoyed the show more for the characters and less for the mystery aspect of it which was the weakest element IMHO.

22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

finished this last night. ending didn't bother me like it has with other fans. thought the series was the first thing Ive watched since Breaking Bad that really got me excited about TV. Don't really care about any underlying mythology about Carcosa, just felt it was very well done and smart.

"scented meat?" :laugh:

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  23. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

No,no,no. "explain the inexplicable"? Explain why the guy had green ears. Explain why the girl who painted the picture happened to use the same hue of green as the house, as opposed to whatever generic green crayon or marker she may had had. Explain why there was a picture of the house up on the board. It didn't seem to be related to anything.
    And the lady remembers who painted her house 20 years ago?

The only explanation (to explain the inexplicable) is that they ran out of show time to have one more investigative outing on the field and connect more plausibly and logically the dots. There was enough chasing of red herrings, to test the audience patience with more footwork, maybe?

Otherwise perfect series.

jon9091 likes this.
  24. I felt it was a bit of lazy writing myself and it strained credibility but, given, the focus on mythology and the undercurrent of a supernatural element, maybe it's not so bad. Still, I would have liked to see a bit more brilliant detecting rather than the leap of faith we got in that scene.

vegafleet likes this.
  25. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Set in Vermilion parish in the western part of the state, yet there are clearly some scenes where you see the Mississippi River levee looming overhead. And THIS is the first error people found? It was geographically impossible from the beginning.

Set in Cajun country. No Cajun accents, and they refer to Cajuns as hillbillies. Culturally wrong feeling, considering the author was from New Orleans. And people thought it all hung together until the final episode? I don't get it.

I enjoyed it a whole lot but had to suspend disbelief and criticism from the very beginning. Definitely NOT just the final episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.