True Detective HBO Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tlake6659, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Finished it last night. Great show !!!

2. That's an issue with the locations outing/shooting. I personally can forgive issues with geography if the writing is tight enough I think that you would have to be familiar with the geography a bit and also with the local population for these to be issues for most folks. The writing I think everyone can relate to.

3. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

Actually thought the ending was one of the season highlights, along with the 6-minute tracking shot in episode 4. I think my mouth was open the whole time.

The only thing that really bothered me was the snuff VHS that made grown men scream and grab the nearest bottle of whiskey. It was either the acting or that I couldn't believe these hardened men would react so dramatically. I laughed a little each time they showed that cassette to someone.

4. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

It's not just location, it's setting and culture. New Orleans people may like to joke that the rest of the state is really Texas, but that is far from the truth. It's set in Cajun country but the writing seems to have missed that pretty much. It's like setting a story in Texas and treating the locals like they're from Chicago. We know enough about Texas and Chicago to know better. And most people know enough about Cajuns to know better too. That's such a distinctive culture and accent. It's not like mistaking one southern Mississippi county for another.

5. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

There were a lot of side characters with Cajun accents. For example, that sheriff that they took out on the boat. And also the killer. I'm glad Matthew and Woody didn't attempt to do Cajun accents, as it probably would have seemed too contrived.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cast for next season?

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

act...

8. PonceDeLeroy

The sheriff did a good Cajun accent, and the welder who first talked about the guy who creeped him out, but not the killer himself. That's not a lot, to me.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don;t really think that many people could tell the difference. You're giving people too much credit which is very kind of you.

You just need to approximate what it might be like to get by IMO. Not many people were actually thinking "Why is the Mississippi River in that shot if this takes place in a different part of the state?" because most people likely didn't know. I certainly didn't.

I think they were trying to invoke a certain atmosphere and I think they did it well. I don't like to get caught up in the details too much myself, although I admit when you spot something that shouldn't be, it can be hard to forget about it. :)

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished ...

outstanding !!!

mikeyt likes this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Vince Vaughn rumored to be in next season..

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

and colin farrel & elisabeth moss.

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

love Colin and Lizzy.... Turning in her martini for crime eh!!

14. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

i hate colin farrel, terrible actor imo, so i hope this is not happening...anybody saying yes to starring in remakes of classics like total recall and fright night is a (moneyloving) fool

15. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

The accent thing. I was born and raised in Central Florida, and my 'kinfolks' have a very thick 'Southern' Georgia-Florida accent, yet I don't. Why, I don't really know. Point is, just because someone is from a certain area, doesn't mean that 'everyone' is gonna automatically speak with the *exact* same accent. So, cut Woody and Matthew some slack for not being 'authentic' (or stereotypical)!

agentalbert likes this.
  16. PonceDeLeroy

If you're replying to me, my point was that just about NOBODY had the accent. Of course there are Texas accents in the area, but there are more Cajun. What TD featured was just not possible for the setting. And the author from New Orleans should have known better. It's not a matter of cutting Matthew and Woody some slack. It's about the author trying not to be sloppy or lazy.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  17. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

^You're making a good point that I did overlook, in that even if Woody and Matthew didn't speak with that regional accent (which it is possible to grow up in an area, and not have the accent rub-off on you), however there should have been more of an attempt to have most of the other actors speaking with a more authentic accent.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i hated mcconaughey too. until he was in this.

19. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I attended the TCA Awards last month. Matthew's acceptance speech for True Detective was heartfelt and generous in contrast to my impression of his arguably self-centered Oscar acceptance speech earlier this year. My point is that it's clear he and Woody were really passionate about this work and the freedom the television medium provided.

20. The Accent thing didn't bother me at all. Wonderful performances trumped everything else. Besides, they (Producers/Director) may have decided it was not worth it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

If you do it with great accents, people will either say:
    a) Too hard to understand
    b) You're being stereotypical

If you do it with crappy accents, you're doing it with crappy accents.

If you do the wrong accents, you screwed up.

Anyway, great performances with a very intense story. Hope they don't screw up season 2 with crappy acting or storyline.

Tex_Writer likes this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Anyone know why the Emmys had True Detective (8 episodes) as a drama series, and Fargo (10 episodes) was up as a miniseries? I'd say that with Breaking Bad in a phenomenal final season, True Detective and the actors would've cleaned up in the miniseries dept like Fargo did

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

That's how HBO submitted it for competition. In hindsight a bad idea, probably would have cleaned up as a miniseries.

23. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Probably because True Detective is a continuing series (with different characters/stories) and Fargo concluded in ten episodes.

24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Fargo like TD will have a second season with all new characters and storyline

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

nope. "american horror story" is considered a miniseries too, i believe. they have multiple seasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.