True Detective Season Two*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

looks like it is going to be quite the ride.

very much looking forward to this season after tonights premiere, just incredible, everyone, just incredible.

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Nice to see David Morse. An uncharacteristic role for sure!

They didn't waste any time diving into the dark side!

LEONPROFF likes this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

rob303 likes this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

There was something very special about Season 1 that I don't think has been recaptured this time around. But I can see some potential, so I'll keep watching. Very different approach by introducing so many characters so quickly.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  5. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

I'm lost
    Already

6. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Looks good.
    I like Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn. I don't care for the comedy Vince but I like the dramatic one.

7. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I thought the premiere suffered a little from having to introduce so many characters and storylines. I'm hoping that it's like The Wire where the the first few episodes are slow going while it introduces you to everything before really taking off.

8. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Colin Farrell once again with a fantastic American accent.

9. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

In California they have a helmut law when riding a motorcycle.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't made up my mind yet but it's only one episode. I watch a few more episodes to see what happens.

11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

sort of a lackluster first episode with a few good moments. very hard to buy Rachel McAdams as whatever it is she's supposed to be. will definitely keep watching but wasn't too impressed.

there are 3 massive obstacles that this show may never be able to overcome:

1) the mammoth performances of McConaughey and Harrelson in season 1
    2) the departure of director Cary Fukunaga (Fukunaga, who was a virtual unknown before directing season 1, is still affiliated with the show but is now serving as an executive producer.)
    3) overcompensating for the brilliance of season 1 by overcasting season 2

BEAThoven likes this.
  12. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

So far, so good. Am glad it's not a clone of season 1.

13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I wasn't too impressed by the first episode. As mentioned, it suffered from a coredump of many characters and their respective circumstances to the point where I felt a little lost early on. However, by the end, it managed to do a fair job of pulling things together. This is where the Netflix all-at-once release might have worked better to cement the characters and the narrative through watching multiple back-to-back eps.

The other problem is that there isn't a single likable character among them, not even Rachel McAdams, which will make it a tough slog going forward.

SMcFarlane and bopdd like this.
  15. peter fuller

peter fuller Forum Resident

Not to mention no smoking in any bar or restaurant. WTF??

16. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Not impressed at all. Colin Farrell playing a tough cranky drunk. There's a stretch. Hope it gets better.

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Rachel sure looked good :cheers:

RK2249 likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, the haircut wasn't doing her any favors (as intended, I guess), but she did look good in her unmentionables! :)

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I agree. Last season the two main characters were seriously flawed but I found myself still liking them and pulling for them. So far, and I know that it has been only been one episode, the characters introduced last night are obnoxious. At least to me.

blind_melon1 and peter fuller like this.
  20. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I think the thing that automatically steps this season down a couple notches from season one is the overall story idea. Bizarre, ritual murders in backwater U.S.A. wins out over city corruption on the outskirts of L.A. every time - at least it does for me.

That said, if the characters and story turn out half as interesting as in season one, it should still be a good ride.

21. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I enjoyed the first episode and hope they can keep the story interesting. I especially liked the Lera Lynn song. Someone posted a 6 minute clip from the show containing the song.

RK2249 likes this.
  22. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

I just think it is way too early to tell much about how the entire season will play out after one episode. I'm happy to go along & discover what happens next.

23. I believe the disjointed storylines was very intentional, like a rapidfire series of Polaroids, which leaves the viewer with a sense of vertigo, only to be resolved when the snapshots are placed in order, at the end.

In that respect the first episode was a success. Of course, we're supposed to buy into the various player's little kinks. I'm not sure if I do. Nothing in life is that grim, except for maybe a suicide club. Still, if you want to set a certain tone, they did it in spades.

This is some David Lynch stuff right here. I'm glad they didn't try to replicate season 1. That said, from this moment forward that's my last comparison to season 1. I must be fair to myself, first and foremost, otherwise I might miss out on what this season has to offer.

24. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I would guess from the scene he isn't really concerned about helmet laws :)

25. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

You could say the same thing about season one, at least at the beginning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.