True Detective Season Two*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You should see it anyway. It was that good(although if you've seen MM in his Lincoln commercials kinda spoofing his TD character then all bets are off for you).

2. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Thanks for that. It does make look the writing look fairly inept in my opinion (to my knowledge you can't organize teams and bust down doors without something to substantiate the "rumor" you might have heard), but on the other hand I might have missed some other details. It does clear up the matter for me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Is that what he's doing in that commercial? Between that and his performance in "Interstellar" he should call himself "mumbles" for short. I'll pass, thanks. :)

4. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Haha. Yeah, but at least he comes off as someone who wouldn't care if it got him in trouble.

5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I really thought that kid was going to get a mouthful of brass knuckles.

vince likes this.
  6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I considered McConaughey a decent actor before TD, but between it and Dallas Buyers Club, he hit it out of the park. Woody was great too, but much less showy.

W. Earl Brown is the second Deadwood actor on the series. Michael Harney was Geraci in season one.

It will be interesting to see what Nic Pizzolatto and his script will bring out of the actors.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Likable doesn't necessarily have to mean Disney princess likable (at least to me), but can also mean intriguing, fascinating, charismatic, enigmatic, etc. I didn't find, in the first outing, any of the principal characters to posses any of those attributes.

For example, in the short lived crime show, Boss, dealing with similar themes of corruption, Kelsey Grammer's character was despicable, but you couldn't take your eyes of him as he portrayed this character, much like McConaughey.

rogertheshrubber and bopdd like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You should also see Mud, if you haven't already. It's another jewel in his crown.

9. I think it's an example of form over content. It's a meta-noir. There's no there there so to speak. I enjoyed it until I realized the substance wasn't equal to the style.

The first season sure was stylish but it's like they didn't know where to go with the story.

bopdd likes this.
  10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Well they certainly didn't know how to end it properly. That was my only real complaint with season 1.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree with that. It was said at the time that the focus of the show wasn't on the solving of the crime itself, but the relationship between the two main characters. The actual cop procedural aspect was secondary. And it shows.

Having great, deeply layered characters is absolutely to be applauded, but at the end of the day, they're servicing a plot. If the plot denouement turns out to be underwhelming, it brings the whole season down a notch or two. Everything after the time jump was a bit disappointing.

bopdd and wayneklein like this.
  12. As I said, it was more about style over content and they didn't develop the content enough. Yes, the characters were well developed but I have to feel that part of that success belonged to the actors. The plot and execution of the plot was strictly the writer/creator's and I agree with you--he didn't do enough.

bopdd likes this.
  13. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Ass-Pen :biglaugh:
    (Kind of reminded me of Jim Carrey (Hank) in 'Me Myself and Irene'

vince likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

"do it again kid, and i'll b______k your father with your mother's headless corpse right here on this front lawn"

that, is some heavy stuff.

mdm08033, Tex_Writer and vince like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm sure someone is gonna put that scene up on YouTube, and then flash the "The More You Know" logo, with that saxophone jingle at the end!

mdm08033 and LEONPROFF like this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

OK.....last night ended with a true WTF moment. comments.....without spoilers, which i know will be tough.

a little more character backgrounds, and more excellent acting, especially from rachel mcadams......i see award shows in her future after this one.

zobalob likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Things are getting more interesting, though I still don't really care for any of the characters or their circumstances. I'm not sure that I'd single out Rachel's acting, as such. I mean it's fine, but monotone, as are pretty much all of the characters. There's a spark that's missing in this show (so far).

18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Regarding S2E2: Well...didn't see that coming.

zobalob and RK2249 like this.
  19. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Lolita Davidovitvh: incestuously sleazy
    Rick Springfield: oozy proprietor.
    Good cameos.

20. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Far better than I expected when I heard who was in it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

But did it?...the ep3 trailers belie that, unless as someone earlier intimated, occult forces are coming in.

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wow. See, still think if season 1 had never happened people would be looking at this in a very different way.

23. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

The last minutes of last nights episode were too soon. I didn't have the time to really care what happened. Sorta like a false start. Vince's character will be interesting as it gets darker.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Patience grasshopper. Patience.

25. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Ooooo...I didn't see the ep3 trailer. Intriguing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.