True Detective Season Two*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porpoise mouth

porpoise mouth Well-Known Member

Don't understand how some ppl say this season lacks humor. Just looking at Mcadams channeling her inner Horatio Caine with the head tilt cracks me up, everytime.

brew ziggins and Olompali like this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

must disagree, i still think "i'll buttf**k your mother with your father's headless corpse" is just genius.

3. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I'm sticking with this season, but I just don't find myself completely captivated as I do with some of the other cable series... something is missing for me.

That said, I feel Ani's sister will be killed during the next episode. Any character who boldly states "I'm turning my life around... things are looking up..." in a faux-noir drama like this is just "TV-talking" to set up their demise, no?

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm imagining that behind the scenes of this show is a classic tale of Hollywood F**kup-ery. It's got that stench of too many cooks in the kitchen. For me, with so little time left, it's beyond the point of being able to fix.

ex_mixer and forthlin like this.
  5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm throwing in the towel on this season, can't stay awake through it.

6. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

The current season not only lacks coherence, it lacks an involving mystery to be uncovered, with any concomitant sense of dread. Perhaps these actors are doing the best they can with the writing they're handed. It's too bad - there's a lot that could be done with the show's basic premise. However, I'll stick it out to the end. ;)

mikeyt and Gumboo like this.
  7. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I gave up and started watching the touch-up paint dry in the soon-to-be-kids' room. Slightly more exciting, at least something happened.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

In fact that isn't so in this case. It's entirely a Nic Pizzolatto project, so he deserves all the credit.

mikeyt likes this.
  9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Deesky likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Wow, I know that is meant as a helpful cheat-sheet, but there are so many listed characters and backstories in the 'sumnary' that if you didn't know that the series only had 8 eps, you'd think it was a three season arc! The summary (and the need for one) is a perfect illustration of what's wrong with this season.

wayneklein and mikeyt like this.
  11. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

And, again, while I found the article a fun read, I knew all of it already...

I am sorry, I just don't see all the problems with this show. I might not be looking for them, I might be looking past them, but I am enjoying this season. Is it season one, redux..? Nope. But i wasn't expecting it to be.

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just finished episode 2 and have really no idea what's going on but I have to say I'm enjoying the mood.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

most recent episode was probably the best of the season but that's not saying much

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

When she said that line I thought the same thing. I was just waiting for the next set up which came when she was asked to reconnect with her old connections for an invite to those parties.

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Only three episodes left. I'm enjoying this season very much.

16. littleugly

littleugly Well-Known Member

I think it's more a perfect illustration of what's wrong with the average television viewer nowadays. I really don't understand what the problem is. The narrative is completely straight forward. Is there not enough ridiculous expository dialogue? a bouncing ball, complete with coles notes perhaps? This season is pure pulp, pure and simple but told through some nuanced tones and moods. A poor man's "Chinatown" and "Twin Peaks".

enro99 and macdaddysinfo like this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

What would that be?
    The problems have been made abundantly clear in this thread already. Most critical reviews are in broad agreement. Why do you pretend not to understand what everyone's objections are? If everything is perfect in your mind, fine, but there is no need to disparage those that don't see it your way.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Not nearly as good as the first season. Some of my family that watched it, threw in the towel and are not going to carry on with it. I will give it a couple more weeks.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My comments about ep6, just as soon as I put that somewhere...

So finally we get a great episode! Lots of tense drama & action, characters working together, some emotional spark and Rachel gets to use her toys. This is the first episode of season 2 that I can honestly say that I enjoyed.

20. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We thought the same thing. It was the first episode of the 2nd season that had us interested right from the start, and that held our interest throughout.

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm out. Just too much stupidity to handle any more. My faith has gone. I'll watch the last two episodes, just because, but there's no way I'm buying the discs of this one.

That might have been the dumbest orgy scene I've ever seen. Mollie makes cops act like they're roofied now? (But no one else?) When did that start happening? And what's the point of making yourself throw up when the drugs are already in your system?

Actually snorted out loud at the "these contracts have signatures all over them!!" line. And I'm pretty sure my eyes still haven't stopped rolling from the bad guys talking about the contracts at the orgy (?) while the cops were right at the window listening in. I'm willing to buy into some ridiculous contrivances in my noir, that that was above and beyond.

ex_mixer and Tom Campbell like this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

i have to be honest....i was kind of hoping that rachel mcadams would get involved in the proceedings surrounding....admit, you did too!

after the lead-in with her boyfriend in episode one it seemed like it was right up her alley (not an intended euphemism)

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Honestly, I thought that she went in there undercover expecting to get naked and possibly to have sex even, but would be surprised that something else was going on. What did she go there FOR?? And what was she expecting?

Certainly Nic must have been assuming that large swatches of the viewers must have been expecting McAdams to be, if not naked and active, then at least acting out sexually. Expecting them to subvert the audience expectation would have been par for the course, but having the whole thing be a drug-addled confused mess that she just wandered through was neither titilating nor engaging, it was just depressing, like we'd been transported to some ABC After School Special. I can understanding them pandering to the male gaze and I can understand them frustrating the male gaze but just pretending it doesn't exist was downright disingenuous.

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I find reading the comments about the show to actually be more interesting than the show itself at this point!;) I'm totally apathetic at this point, I don't care about the story and even less about the players. You know it's bad when you're bored watching an orgy! With 2 hours left, I'll watch 'cause I'm curious who's gonna make it out alive.

stumpy likes this.
  25. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I've seen this mentioned a couple places and don't understand the snark. It was obvious he was saying that "these contracts have signatures [of all the people we've been hoping to nail] all over them."

I'm reserving judgment on the season until it's over. It hasn't hooked me like the first one but I'm not going to let that color my view of this season. They're two completely different shows. It has it's faults but I'm still enjoying each episode and looking forward to the next one. My cranky old man response to many of the complaints is "lighten up."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.