DCC Archive True mono mix of Yellow Submarine?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

As we are always told, the mono issue of the Yellow Submarine LP was made by just combining the two channels of the stereo mix.
    (I assume this is true but have never actually heard the original mono LP)

My question is why?!

There exist *true* mono mixes for all the tracks on side A. The tracks which had already been released in mono were even re-mixed in mono for the film soundtrack!
    Presumably, the only way to hear these mono mixes is to find a copy of the film on VHS - does anyone know if there was a tape released with the soundtrack in *true* mono?

I suppose the reason for the faux mono release was that either it was felt that mono LPs were a thing of the past by 1969 or that there were no mono mixes of the side B re-recordings made (they could have issued the mono soundtrack versions of these but I guess George Martin wanted his re-makes on the LP).

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The DVD was processed with one of the audio channels in the true original mono sound right from the optical track.

It sounds flat, old, mushed and shallow. Almost unlistenable, except it makes light of what the optical track sounded like originally. I like the directors comments instead, to be honest.

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Paging David Goodwin...he can point you to some boots with the true mono mixes.

4. Mal

So Apple will happily authorise remixing the tracks in stereo and multichannel but won't see fit to release the original mono mixes mastered directly from the master tapes?! If any of the other Beatles mono mixes are anything to go by, these would sound awesome (so long as No Noise was applied to Peter Mew and NOT the tapes :D).
    I can understand them putting the optical track on the DVD - releasing a film with the *original* soundtrack intact - that's what all DVD releases should be like! If Apple can apply this kind of reason to the film release, why can't they get the music releases sorted out?

(Before you think that I am applauding Apple for their handling of the Y.S. DVD release - I understand that they have managed to crop the original full frame in the transfer of the film reel! What have we, or the Beatles for that matter, done to deserve this never ending stream of ......)

[end of rant :rolleyes:]

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Malc S ]

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Huh?? Maybe I'm not getting you, but the YS DVD is in widescreen, in the original aspect ratio. It's only the original VHS and LD that was cropped. Am I missing something?

Apple has possibly the least in creative influence percentage, but the rights to carry the Beatles as a trademark, the music and the likenesses of the Beatles is one thing. The rest is King Features and MGM, which by percentage is huge, and also includes the Subafilms reference for the artists who drew and designed the film.

Don't forget; the Beatles creatively had little to do with YS. It was mostly a very ingenious German artist and a LOT of art students willing to paint frames and frames and...

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

6. Mal

From what I've heard (I haven't seen it myself), the DVD version manages to chop off the heads of those guys on stilts who drop the apples whereas their heads are intact on at least one of the VHS prints.

Seeing as I'm only regurgitating something I read, I'll leave it to those who have seen it to comment further....

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

The YS DVD is in the correct theatrical aspect ratio 1.66:1 (the VHS is not P&S but in full frame). There was a goof with the optional mono soundtrack (20-30 minutes is in Dolby Surround/then it pops back into mono). I think it was up to the producers of the film/DVD (not initially Apple) that wanted to include the original soundtrack (sadly, with the goof). It's a top-notch film...

Todd

8. Mal

For those interested in the cropping issue have a look at:
    http://www.dvdmg.com/yellowsubmarine.html

This isn't where I first read about this. It is obviously a known issue.....

Back to the subject of the mono mixes - are there any other examples of Beatles songs which have been mixed in mono and stereo but have only seen a stereo release?

(I'm not counting the mono YS LP or the optical soundtrack transfer in this - I'm talking about a mono release taken from the original mix tapes)

9. xios

xios Senior Member

Lewison lists a mono mix and acetate of "Two of Us" prepared for Paul to give to the group Mortimer....Best place to get the true mono mixes of YS tapes is the "Lost Pepperland Reel" boot on Vigotone. "It's All Too Much" sounds the most different and "Northern Song" sounds the best it's ever sounded.

10. feinstein

feinstein Member

If there's any interest, I can post the "Lost Pepperland Reel" bootleg CD on alt.binaries.music.shn (SHN is a lossless compression format). This CD contains the original mono stuff sent to the film's producers by EMI. The mono mixes are superb and beat out anything that I've heard of this material to date. Please E-Mail me if you're interested in having this posted.

Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.