Trumpet Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronflugelguy, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Gee that sounds awesome.

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Hi Gardo

Could you post the title of the DVD - this sounds like a gem :D

Mant thanks - Andrew

3. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Where are the Condoli brothers, Conte and Pete? :(

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I went with Miles, maybe not the best technically, but I love the way he played. Dizzy is probably my second favorite.

5. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

Man. my apologies.:( :( :( :(

6. Ronflugelguy

Again, my aploogies. Ther are so many that I shoud have honed the list down on paper before I started the thread.:( :( :( :(

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

I'm not Gardo, but here's the link to it at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...r=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-5705351-5736003?v=glance

There're (so far) four of these "Walt Disney Treasures" volumes, including one of Mickey Mouse's 1930's color cartoons! Good archival stuff.

They also come with lots of bonus stuff such as footage of Walt and his studio in the very early days. His first studio was on Hyperion in Silver Lake. It's just down the street from my house, though now it's a Mayfair market. Also, Walt's first house in Los Angeles (or the first one he had built at least) is on my block! They recently featured its restoration on a Tv documentary.

Ray

8. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Thanks a million RDK :righton:

My usual supplier has 3 of the 4 "Treasures" - guess which one is missing :rolleyes:

All the best - Andrew

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

What about Herb Alpert? Not "jazz" enough? ;)

10. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Pops all the way.

11. Ronflugelguy

In that case, I also forgot Doc Sevensen, and Harry James.:(

12. Ronflugelguy

Interesting, no one has mentioned or voted for Wynton Marsailis. Hmn..................:sigh:

13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

That is a good clip...I was impressed as to how long the thing ran. Great video!

14. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Wait...I haven't voted yet...here it goes for Wynton.................not! :D

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

It 'Disneyland USA' and it is 3:48 of the history of Disnyland through the eyes of historical TV broadcasts. Very good stuff! It's one of the 4 limited edition titles that they released around Christmas last year. I think they made 150, 000 copies of each title and they're numbered. I have seen them at some WalMarts.

Be sure to get the 4 hour (aprrox) edition of Mickey Mouse and also the Silly Symphonies title. 'Symphonies' is my favorite. Lots of old Disney classics restored from the early days!

They are not hard to miss...they come packaged in special tin cases!

16. Ronflugelguy

You crack me up!!!!...............:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

OK, I'll be the one guy that votes for Booker Little. His self titled release on the Time label, is hands down one of my favorites EVER. Great support from Scott LaFaro and Wynton Kelly and VERY strong & well written tunes. I'll just never grow tired of this one. Amazing stuff for a guy who didn't live past 22.

Oh yeah, that Miles guy ain't too shabby either !

Best, Ed

18. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Great choice...he get's left behind more often than not. What a talent!

19. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Ron...I was the one who voted for Morgan. There are lots of greats here...no contest. Lee Morgan is the only one who"consistently" has brightened my listening experience. I can't think of anything he did that I don't dig in one way or another.

Here's a session that Lee plays on that gets overlooked often...a real funk grinder...

[​IMG]

And here's another that a bit avant-garde....

20. Ronflugelguy

He's got a lot of soul in his playing ...and what a sound!!!!!!!!!

21. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Thanks to all the non-Gardos for chiming in with info about the Disneyland video. I didn't mean to be rude--just buried in an avalanche of work. (Plus, one of the great things about this forum is that if something's good or interesting, probably five or fifty other folks are into it too.)

I rented this disc (disc TWO of the set) from Netflix a couple of weeks ago. After thinking about it again, I'm about ready to buy the darn thing--the Armstrong segment really is that good.

Plus, I'm a sucker for Walt's corny jokes. What a strange and interesting and wonderful (and sometimes creepy) fellow HE was. Sometimes I think he affected the 20th century as much as Freud, Einstein, or (name your favorite dictator) did.

22. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Oh, just thought of another session player I love: Lewie Soloff. I don't know all of his work, but for his amazing BS&T solo in "God Bless the Child" he will forever have a place in my heart. The things you can do with ONE BREATH. (I don't think there was circular breathing involved, was there?)

23. Ronflugelguy

Gardo, and what about his solo on "SPINNING WHEEL," Killer!!!!
    I heard that Randy Brecker kicks himself in the ass for leaving BS&T after the first album!

24. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

I think I can turn your frown into a smile

click here and read http://www.yazoorecords.com/514.htm

25. Hey Ron, it's all good. There are many, many jazz trumpet players out there as you will see at this Web site.
    http://www.trumpetjazz.com/
    They have bios on over 230 players. Every trumpet player you've ever heard and more is featured here, from Miles to Mike Metheny. From Bix to Jim Rotondi.

I voted for fellow Canadian Maynard Ferguson, the only player in the list that I've ever seen live. Saw him in the mid 1980s. It was amazing to see him hit those high notes.

I know Nat Adderley primarily played cornet during his career but he did start out on the trumpet. This excerpt from the Nat Adderley bio says it all. "Although he is often overlooked, Nat's soulful work on the cornet is essential listening for any trumpeter."
    Here's a cool pic of Nat.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.