Trust: The Getty Family Saga on FX (produced by Danny Boyle)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by notesofachord, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe Thread Starter

Has anyone been watching this? Admittedly, I didn't see the film All the Money in the World yet, but IMO, this FX "long-form" film has been excellent. The acting, writing and directing is great and I feel like it picks up the dramatic mantle from last year's Feud: Bette and Joan quite well. Danny Boyle is the executive producer (as well as director of the early episodes), so there is fantastic feel/editing and the music has been superb. Looking at the ratings on wikipedia, it hasn't done too great. Maybe it's because folks already saw the aforementioned film and so already know the plot/resolution? That's a shame. It's not about the final result/facts, it's about the journey of getting there. Hell, even I looked up the historical, factual events after seeing the first couple of episodes - so I know what happens at the end. So what? It's been well worth watching.

Donald Sutherland plays the billionaire John Paul Getty.
    Hilary Swank plays his daughter-in-law, Gail Getty.
    Brendon Fraser plays Fletcher Chase - Getty's go-to man/fixer.

The lesser-know actors have been excellent, including the Italian cast (a significant portion of the script is in Italian).

It's perhaps a little late to jump in at this point as there are only a few episodes left. I was just curious to see if anyone else had been watching.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I forgot it started already.

3. notesofachord

Darn, maybe I should've made a thread about it earlier to remind folks.

Of course, it does go up against Sunday night fare such as The Walking Dead (Fear... now) and HBO things like Westworld. Perhaps people have been watching that (or basketball) instead.

It's another excellent FX series, IMO.

4. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

I have been watching and it has been wildly inconsistent. Let's just say that it has had too much "visual flair". Good soundtrack though and Donald Sutherland has been solid as old man Getty. One member of the cast has been bloody awful but in his slight defense the character is more than a little cartoonish. I cringe now whenever I see his name in the credits.

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Half way through. Very solid series.

6. notesofachord

Yes, very good. Shame the ratings were so low.

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m surprised the ratings were so low and it didn’t get the accolades the other FX shows this year got.

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I would respectfully disagree. I thought the show was slow and not terribly compelling. Could have easily been handled in a two hour made for TV movie.

9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Which character?

10. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

Whoever Brendan Fraser was attempting to play.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.