Truth of Truths - Christian Rock double album rock opera on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

LPs are widely available on eBay, Amazon, Discogs, etc. for those who prefer having it on vinyl rather than CD. For those who want it on CD, go to the link in post #6.

2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Many Christians were OK with Superstar, but many were against it mainly because it omitted the resurrection, and there were some who interpreted it as implying that Jesus may have had an affair with Mary Magdalene. Webber and Rice explained that they omitted the resurrection because they felt like that would be "getting into subjectivity and myth." But what I don't get is that they resurrected Judas!

3. BradOlson

Truth of Truths does NOT omit the Resurrection which makes it a decent companion. I agree that it is crazy that JCS resurrected Judas

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Some historians believe Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married, or at least in a relationship.

JCS did not resurrect Judas. I think your, and a lot of people's misunderstanding of art is getting in the way here.

5. BradOlson

I am sorry for misinterpreting this as well. You are right that Webber and Rice did not resurrect Judas.

6. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

I find this concept quite interesting. I see no problem with people disagreeing with how JCS was presented and creating their own more sound take on it. More power to 'em!

For what it's worth, the Statler Brothers did a similar thing (no, not a rock opera) with a two-LP concept album set called The Holy Bible, basically a gospel run-through of the Bible. Really good too.

OneStepBeyond and Folknik like this.
  7. BradOlson

I agree that the Statler Brothers Holy Bible album is awesome as well.

Johnny Reb and Folknik like this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, with that, i'm ottta this thread.

9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Judas hangs himself and later, as Jesus is about to be crucified, he returns to sing the song "Superstar", saying "Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." I'm sure the movie took a few liberties with the concept, and shows Judas coming back after his suicide, backed by what looks like a choir of angels. At the end, everyone gets back on the bus, including Judas but excluding Jesus who is still on the cross. Of course I know there was no bus in the original rock opera, but how does the post-mortem voice of Judas not at least imply a resurrection? Is Jesus just imagining what he might say? Were Webber and Rice playing around with chronology like Quentin Tarrentino and others have done with their movies? "Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know."

10. BradOlson

In other words, this is the resurrection of Judas in JCS.

Folknik likes this.
  11. BradOlson

Going back on topic, I hope some of you will discover Truth of Truths.

12. BradOlson

13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

14. BradOlson

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  15. BradOlson

Don J. Long told me that the CD reissue sales haven't been going as well as he thought they would and as such, he had to post it on CD Baby in hopes to increase sales.

16. BradOlson

17. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Not to threadcrap, but as for this disc not selling well -- when you go around declaring that Jesus Christ Superstar is "blasphemous" because it was made by "atheist Jews" (when in fact neither Tim Rice nor Andrew Lloyd Webber is Jewish), don't be surprised if people assume you're a crappy person and stay away from your reissue project.

Henryflowr, tmtomh, redflag and 3 others like this.
  18. BradOlson

This was the marketing for the album done back in the day.

19. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I'll just go out on a limb and say no it wasn't.

tmtomh and Maggie like this.
  20. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I've been recently getting into more music from the Jesus Movement (Larry Norman in particular).

I downloaded the spectacular Rock Revival various artist compilation from iTunes, which includes "Prophecies of the Coming of the End of the World" from Truth of Truths, which I actually think is one of the highlights of the compilation.

I hadn't realized it was from a concept rock opera covering Genesis to Revelation. I will definitely check this out! Funny that Jim Backus was the voice of God. I did find his voice a little out of place at the end of the song.

Retro Hound likes this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Are you claiming that "atheist Jews" did in fact create Jesus Christ Superstar, or are you claiming that you have no way of knowing whether or not that's true and so you're just going to leave that hanging out there in the breeze?

Henryflowr and Maggie like this.
  22. BradOlson

What I said was that it was how Truth of Truths was marketed, nothing more, nothing less

23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

What is the "it" there - what is how Truth of Truths was marketed?

Maggie likes this.
  24. BradOlson

The marketing that Jesus Christ Superstar was written by "atheist Jews" when they weren't Atheist Jews was how Truth of Truths was marketed to the CCM crowd at the time.

dbone828 likes this.
  25. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

Was going to add that Val Stoecklein from Kansas garage rock legends the Blue Things is all over this album. I don't think it's especially good rare or needing a reissue though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.