Trying to decide between two carts.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leggs91203, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here they are, for a marantz TT170...

The AT92ECD -
    AT92ECD Phonograph Cartridge || Audio-Technica US

The AT3482P -
    AT3482P Phonograph Cartridge || Audio-Technica US

I noticed the differences are that the AT92ECD has a 3.5 mV output as opposed to the AT3482P having 5 mV. How will this effect the volume playback? My receiver has a built-in preamp for phono. Will the AT92ECD play "quieter", requiring higher volumes? If my calculations are correct, would the AT3482P have roughly 3 db more output? (twice the power in watts, equating to a 3 db gain. Using the formula "volts squared over resistance")
    In plain English - are conical stylus typically "louder"?

The AT92ECD has an elliptical stylus, which as I understand, elliptical produces better sound and less IGD (which ).
    I also notice the cantilevers have different constructions.

Seems both of these will work. Just trying to pick the better one.
    For the record, I play only 33 RPM LP's, no 45's nor 78's. They are all used, from the 80's, most in decent shape ("very good" according to the gold mine standard, however subjective it may be).

So between these two, which would be a better gamble for better quality sound, even if it means sacrificing loudness (if that IS the case)? I am not looking to upgrade to a new TT right now, just trying to make the best of what i have right now.

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

AT92ECD.

3. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

The AT92ECD is the one. The other uses a less advanced conical stylus. The AT92ECD is said to be an incredible bargain at $20 or so. FWIW It also can accept stylus upgrades including one with a shibata tip.

4. Leggs91203

I went ahead with the AT92ECD. Cheapest i found was like $27 which yeah, quite a bargain for any audio technica. The conical one was like $23 so $4 more for a better tip, heck yeah.

I am looking forward to it's arrival. I am sure i need a new stylus either way.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

A lot quieter.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  6. Leggs91203

The AT92ECD came in today and I installed it.
    I did not notice a dramatic drop in volume. I recorded same part song using the old and new one to test things.

For IGD, it seems to be about 1/2 of what my old stylus (AT3482P) was. That is about what I was expecting. I was hoping for more but I knew realistically the IGD was not going to vanish.
    I have no clue how old my other stylus is but overall I am happy with the new one. Slightly better sound. Money well spent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.