Trying to track down vintage receiver ...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by madame george's boyfriend, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madame george's boyfriend

madame george's boyfriend Forum Resident Thread Starter

I didn't buy it at Sears. So maybe they didn't sell that brand. Or are you saying they sold ALL brands and it will definitely be in there?

2. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Have you looked at old Kenwoods? That was the first receiver I bought from Custom Hi Fi (the shopping mall version of Dixie Hi Fi) in the early 70s.

3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Oh, misunderstood. Perhaps view the huge lot of vintage stereo receivers on ebay. Completed items shows even more classis stereos.

4. harby

harby Forum Resident

Sears only carried a small number of brands, due to the stronger dealer networks at the time. They had house brands more obscure than the Kenmore sewing machine and washer, and if you wanted a camera, it might only be Minolta available.

[​IMG]

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I don't want to derail this, but Sears always, from the early 1900s until they discontinued catalogs, had an extensive selection of cameras and darkroom equipment, and good buyers who knew what they were doing. They put out specialty "Camera and Photographic Supplies" catalogs every year, for customers to order items and have them delivered to the store, or as pure mail order, and the individual store manager could carry almost anything from the catalog in store stock at his discretion. A few of those catalogs be downloaded from this page
    Antique photo catalogs, photo catalogs, classic camera catalogs, price lisings, Illustrated catalogue of Photo equipment and materials for amateus, antique photography, early photography equipment, instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals
    The 1981-1982 catalog is interesting, and the latest one available from that page (but incomplete) and shows all the popular brands of the time - Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, and their own Sears brand (made by Ricoh at that time) and in times past (1930s-1970s) Sears had their Tower brand which was made by major camera companies (US, UK, Germany, as well as Japan pre and post war) and others before they were well known by their own brands in the US. Sometimes (in the 1950s) they would have a "Tower" camera, and the virtually identical camera as its real brand, for $10 or $20 more, on the same or next page.
    I'm pretty sure Sears had a good selection of brands of audio equipment, and TVs, too, not merely or primarily their own brands.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

was it a sony? maybe a str 242 ?

[​IMG]

7. madame george's boyfriend

madame george's boyfriend Forum Resident Thread Starter

It wasn't a Sony, but like several of these, there are many features in common. I'm going to spend the weekend eliminating brands and models until something surfaces. Thanks.

8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Ok, last try from me. Any chance it was a Project/one receiver? I had one of these a while back and there were some that claimed it was made by Pioneer.

[​IMG]
    Here's a link to a Google image search for some of their line.
    project one receiver - Google Search :

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Sure does have that Pioneer look. Would love to bring my SX 980 back to life.

[​IMG]

Manimal and EddieMann like this.
  10. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

I worked on one for a buddy, had to set the idle current and bias because it sounded like shat. It looked a lot more like many of the Technics units from that era that I've been under the hood on.

EddieMann likes this.
  11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I bought my Project/one in a garage sale. I was falling all over myself cuz I really thought it was a Pioneer. It wasn't, but the owner only wanted a few bucks for it so I took it. I don't think I ever even used it.

12. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Project/one was a house brand for the Playback chain of stores.

13. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

was the kenwood kr710 already mentioned ?

[​IMG]

timind and MLutthans like this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

That's a clean looking recvr.

Manimal likes this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] If it was this receiver the OP might remember the “flat” arrangement of the connections. My Sx750 has this and I might add it’s incredibly useful when changing cables or wires while in a cabinet. Love that about these.

timind likes this.
  17. avanti1960

i had the 450, my first real hifi product which sounded really nice. it did not have the flat connections

18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I tell ya those flat connectors are super convenient.

19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

This is the back of the 450 you linked. I wonder why some did not have the flat connectors? Anyway cool receiver

20. avanti1960

my memory might be failing me, i can't find any info that says it doesn't have the flat connector shelf but i would almost swear mind didn't.

21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

My 750 does and the pic I posted was from another posters link photo online. Maybe it didn’t.

22. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Haha, sorry man, the pic on your link had a rear view and it was a flat layout. I’m beat down tired

23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Maybe an Optonica, such as the SA 5151, below?
    SA5151_zps9f0ce869.jpg

24. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Hey!! That's my current receiver! I'm also using it as a Pre-Amp to my Denon AVR-988. Love it!

beartrackrecords likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.