Trying Uni-Din tangential curve.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KWJ, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KWJ

KWJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was thinking of trying this Uni-Din setup on my turntable and was wondering
    what others here that have used or have any thoughts about uni din geometry
    I'm asking cause the Acoustical Systems SMARTracker quite expensive $799.00 Canadian
    acoustical systems - SMARTractor / P.A.S.
    My cartridge is a Goldring 2500 and I only play lp's

Any thoughts or opinions welcome

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Not worth it, IMO, as all alignment is a compromise of where on an LP side you want the most distortion while playing. I think the Conrad Hoffman free program is more than adequate. Buy more LPs.

John K.

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Since you have a Technics 1210 I recommend the Mint "Best Tractor" alignment from Yip in China. I used this on my Technics table after reading reviews and to my ears it makes the LPs sound perfect from start to finish where the stock alignment tended to sound better at the end of the side. The gauge is made from mirrored glass and is high quality and lets you line up the cantilever much more accurately than the technics alignment jig. The overhang is not radically different than the stock gauge but just enough to make a difference.

Best Tractor / Arc Protractor / Mint Tractor / tonearm alignment / Yip Mint Protractor / Mintlp Protractor

4. KWJ

First let me thank everyone for their replies and suggestions
    I like the smart tracker for the Uni-Din alignment geometry and the
    flexibility of having all the other geometries and it's a universal tool
    so that makes this a one time purchase and should last for the rest of
    my life.

I got home about an hour ago with my new acoustical systems smartractor
    Very nice build quality and very high quality parts and materials were used
    in the construction of these units. It took about ½ an hour to change from Baerwald
    to Uni-Din tangential curve l had my table setup with a Mobile Fidelity Geo-Disc
    and when I checked it on the new smart tracker it was close but not as accurate
    as I would like in my work life I deal with tolerances in hundred thousands of an inch
    so I am very happy with the accuracy and detail of the smart tracker and it is so easy to use.

Going to check out the sound of the Uni Din geometry now.

J.Uotila likes this.
  5. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I own a Uni-DIN and I am currently using their custom alignment. I haven't really done any kind of comparison, so at best, I can say that alignment sounds fine. It is a VERY easy tool to use and they go to extraordinary measures to make it very precise in its measurements. The one challenging aspect is that one must be able to locate the precise center of the horizontal bearing (the pivot point); to take advantage of its accuracy, that means within a tiny fraction of a millimeter.

You need to keep the platter from moving when using this protractor, so find or make some kind of wedge to put under the latter and lock it into place. Painter's tape might also hold the platter in place, but, if it allows for even tiny movement, the alignment could be compromised.

The Uni-DIN is a universal protractor which can be used on a wide range of tables, so it is more like a professional tool. With one table, particularly one with a built in arm where the precise spindle to pivot distance is known, like your Technics table, the mint protractor is probably the way to go. It is easy to use as well, and it allows for very precise alignment. All you need with the mint is a good magnifier (like the one supplied with the Uni-DIN), and you are set.

6. KWJ

Hi
    If you notice above I bought the smart tracker I played with it a bit
    yesterday and think it is a very accurate and easy to use I will also
    be picking up the AnalogMagik software and test lps tomorrow evening
    with the smart tracker I should have all aspects of cartridge set up
    miserable and repeatable all the time.

7. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Assuming you can easily find the pivot point of your tonearm, the Smart Tracker, and the like, are the easiest alignment tools to get a very precise setting. It is easier to use something that that makes you do the alignment at only one point, without having to move the arm and/or the alignment tool to another position.

I personally don't mind spending more for a tool that works better than other tools, and this is the case stuff like the Smart Tracker, Fozgometer (azimuth tool), and decent digital scales. The only one tools that I have my doubts about are the USB microscopes for setting VTA--it makes much more sense to set the arm parallel to the record surface and then make tiny adjustments up and down to establish by ear what is the ideal setting.

8. KWJ

Being a custom bike builder and mechanic I don't have any issues with buying specialty tools
    I have many tools that I may use once every year or two and I could use other tools to do the job
    that would make the job harder and take longer I much prefer having the specialty tool sitting
    in my tool box ready to use when needed. Job done right , Job done fast ,Job done easy.

As for VTA and SRA thats where the AnalogMagik software comes into play
    With the Smartraker and AnalogMagik software I will be able to set almost all
    tone arm cartridge combinations with a Scientific & Repeatable Method To Calibrate:
    Speed, Wow & Flutter, Azimuth, VTA, VTF, SRA Anti-skating, Loading, Gain, Vibrations & Resonance Frequencies.
    the software is being installed on my computer this afternoon I can hardly wait.
    Links below for both tools.

acoustical systems - SMARTractor / P.A.S.
    https://www.analogmagik.com

9. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

KWJ,

I agree with you totally about tools, and certainly the Smartraker is a great tool. I like how easy it is to use too. As for setting azimuth using a test record and measuring device, I have only one word of caution. Not all cartridges are made with perfect alignment of the stylus, cantilever and generating element (magnet or coil). What may measure as being electrically ideal alignment, might put the alignment of the stylus itself off from perfect perpendicularity to the record surface. If the deviation from perpendicular is extreme, this could result in mistracking and excessive wear to the stylus and records. I first try for perpendicularity of the stylus first and then I use measurement to make small adjustments. If I have to compromise, I go with perpendicularity over better measurement. Fortunately, with my current cartridge, I had to make the tiniest change when using the Fozgometer to optimize azimuth setting (so small it was not at all visually obvious).

10. KWJ

Larry
    Well from everything I've seen read and talked to people about this system is extremely accurate
    and time consuming to optimize all aspects of the cartridge, tone arm , and phono stage a guy I know
    has used the software to set up about 20 tables and he said it would take between 2 to 4 hrs. of
    Very very small adjustments like fractions of a degree to achieve optimal settings.
    I just got an email from AnalogMagik and my laptop is all loaded and ready to go
    so I'll pick it up tomorrow and see how it goes

Thanks for your replys

J.Uotila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.