TT Dynamic Range Meter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrew Smith, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I've only now noticed that v.1.0.0 of fb2k plug-in has expired. Oh well, will have to start using v.1.1.0b3...

2. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

There's a difference between scanning, and producing one sheet with all of the songs data included on it.
    The newer versions than the first v1.0.0 do scan all of the songs, in any folders and of any file type, but they create the log for each on in it's own origin folder. The newer versions refuse to just give me a one log file with all of the playlist in it.
    I have messy playlists, especially when checking between two of the same song from different CD's, and it's where, in the past with v1.0.0, I'd select the files, scan them, open notepad and past the report for the two files. All the later versions produced separate logs containing only the data of the files in their own folder, but scanning all the files. No one log for a jumble of stuff.

3. When log file writing is disabled from the preferences, a temporary log file is created in the Windows TEMP directory. Apparently this didn't function on systems with Vista and Windows 7. I've uploaded version beta 4 which should have corrected this. This will also create a single log file, even when the items in the playlist are from different directories. For any problems or feedback, please use the form on the download page: http://jokhan.home.xs4all.nl/DynamicRange/index.htm.

4. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Interesting quote there:
    We already work on an RTAS and AU version of the plug-in and a MAC version of the TT DR Offline Meter and expect that for May 2009.

I have the Mac AU (not sure where I got it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't from www.pleasurizemusic.com), which I use religiously while mixing in Logic, but as far as I know there still is no offline version for Mac. So much for May 2009... how long does it take to port the code for such a small app?

5. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Thanks for the update! :righton:

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

http://www.dynamicrange.de/sites/default/files/DR-Offline-Meter-for-MAC.zip (I got this link at http://dr.loudness-war.info)

7. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

8. JonasR

JonasR Forum Resident

Any more forum members using this software? If so, your opinion?

The results can be exported as a webpage :)
    As example I uploaded two albums that have very different results.

RCHP - Californication
    http://web.comhem.se/~u39600651/shmf/masvis/Californication/index.html

Steve's remaster of Phil Collins - Face Value
    http://web.comhem.se/~u39600651/shmf/masvis/FaceValue/index.html

What does the graphs mean?
    http://www.lts.a.se/lts/manual

9. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^ maybe a bit too detailed for a casual audiophile IMO. But a lot of useful info nevertheless ;)

10. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Yeah that was my opinion of MasVis. Lots and lots of data, but how to make useful concise and easy sense of it all in the way of comparison between two masterings can take a fair few words, nonetheless, it provides arguably enough statistical data to argue a point.

I still have it on my system, but haven't really used it much as there is just a case of information overload.

Nice to see the latest beta v6 TT DR Meter for Foobar release up there. Works real nice, good options so there should be enough for everyone.

11. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

12. BradOlson

You're welcome

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have been playing around with this on my Mac. In the thread and on the TT screen it mentions "offline check for wave 44.1kHz/16Bit only". I have used it with AIFF files of 44.1kHz/16Bit and 48/88.2/96kHz/24and with 'Logfile' box checked it seems to work fine. The readings seem accurate to me and it generates a text file report and places it within the appropriate album folder. Some of the readings I have match the readings I have seen others post online for the same titles. Am I missing something or doing something wrong by using these files?

EDIT: I should describe my process which is pretty simple. I search the album folder using Finder and simple drag the folder to the top gray bar on the TT DR Meter which automatically loads and reads each song file and as stated generates a text file of the report.

14. dachada

dachada Senior Member

15. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I've recently installed this for Foobar2000 but can't find any version over 1.0.0. Does anyone have a direct link?

16. BradOlson

17. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

I have a few questions about this.

1. Does "acceptable" DR depend on the TYPE of music?
    For example I listen to a lot of electronic music. The Pet Shop Boys album "Please" from 1986, original CD release gets a 15 using the foobar plugin. Its remaster from 2001 gets a 9. The 2009 Kraftwerk remasters get excellent results. My point is that should an album comprising of no real instruments be cut some degree of slack when measuring DR? My thinking is that because space MAY not be as big an issue in this type of music, a rating of 8 or 9 may not be acceptable? I'm still a novice with this stuff. I bought EVERYTHING in remastered versions until I learned about this stuff.

2. What IS considered an acceptable level in general terms? Going by http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/ would this be anything in the Transition section? Obviously the "bad section" is to be avoided.

18. mwheelerk

The bottom line to me is that this is simply a reference tool and the determination about what is good or acceptable dynamic range is purely in the "ear" of the beholder

19. Dukes Travels

I knew someone was going to say that.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sure...in the same way one could argue everyone is entitled to their opinion. But are all opinions equal if some are based on erroneous/incomplete information or an under-informed reference point?

Dukes Travels likes this.
  21. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

I tend to not think too much about the dynamic range tool anymore. I tended at first, when on my fast audio learning curve, to lean heavily on the dynamic range stats when comparing two mastering. I'd take the more dynamic rather than listening intently. Sure, it's a likely indication of how much compression has been used in the mastering process, but it isn't a tool that gives definite answers.

The problem lies with this kind of example scenario:

Master A: Original 80's CD with a bit thin bottom and a bit too much air.
    Master B: Audiophile remaster, something like from our hosts catalogue.
    Master C: later 90's remaster, compressed a bit, and mildly inflated bottom and top end.

Master A will have the largest DR score, B will have something less, and C will likely be less still. Is A the best because it has the biggest DR score? Nope. The thing is that the DR score is affected by tonality. If you get a great mastering really faithful and direct from the master tapes, it's going to have a great sound with no stupid EQ. The DR score is going to be smaller and indicate that an audiophile master has less dynamic range than a relatively lousy thin and bright early mastering.

So, acceptable level is difficult to pin down. Couple different Genre - as you say like electronic styles - into the mix and the acceptable DR score becomes undefinable.
    If an artist makes a track with no dynamic movement, for effect - solid full and fleshed out electronic 'noises', with no kicking beat and no breathing space then it's going to have a low DR score - but it doesn't mean it was badly mastered, it's just that there is little dynamic content in the music.

Ian Shepherd founder of Dynamic Range Day, suggests a minimum of DR8. The thinking behind this minimum is that crushing dynamics of 'normal' styles of music any more tends to impact significantly on the sound quality. Of course it is accepted that crushing the dynamics in any way decreases sound quality. Ian accepts modern electronic styles have even less dynamic content before reaching mastering or a mix bus compressor - they are by their nature not very dynamic.

Me personally, I would have liked the music industry as whole to have picked a sensible loudness level and released everything at that. This way the end user could swap between CD's or whatever all night long without having to ride the volume control with every new item. I think the level should have been set for popular music to something like around the -20dB RMS / -20 LUFS ball parks.
    We've all got plenty of watts on our amplifiers, and a lot of the time they are barely above the point at which the pot logarithmic properties kick in - that cut off point at low volume when the sound goes from quiet but full to crapola with the tiniest tap on the dial.
    Digital has such low noise floors there was never an excuse for it when CD's came out.

maybe a bit too much waffle :)

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  22. Dukes Travels

Great post mate. Thanks a lot for the added info, makes things a bit clearer.
    Going to be a little tougher to find out what CD is the best version it seems. I was hoping I could just look up that database and pick the copy with the best DR. Looks like I will have to rely on sites like this to garner info on a particular release. I buy most stuff online, so previews are not possible.
    Nice to get a "sweet spot" number too. Gives something to go by.

23. mwheelerk

And who determines what is erroneous/incomplete information and who is under-informed? You?

I have used the DR tool on every single file in my library. It is a piece of information but in no way an ultimate determiner of sound quality or whether or not I enjoy a particular piece of music.

Thurenity likes this.
  24. mwheelerk

...and I agree

25. Deadwing

Deadwing Forum Resident

Good tool nothing else. I see to many people getting hung up on the number. The fact is if that where the case then why do we love Pink Floyd DSOTM which has DR10 I believe. Stop letting DR # be the end all and be all. SQ rules...Let your ears and system do the math not the DR meter.

d3adf1sh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.