TT through a theater receiver/amp.. w/ phono inputs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by landonspop, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. landonspop

landonspop New Member Thread Starter

I just purchased a certified Rega RP6 and planned to play in stereo direct mode through my home theater system.

I have a Denon 3808 now, but am replacing with a Pioneer SC-97 for the new 4K format and Atmos/DTS-X sound through 5.1.4 system. (4 ceiling or height speakers) Both units have phono inputs. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite Receivers/SC-97

I was planning on adding a 2 channel amp, with more power, to the main pre outs for stereo listening. Using direct input/output and a stereo amp, would I get better audio for TT play?

My mains are towers with powered subs. http://www.audioreview.com/cat/spea...eakers/eosone/rsf1000/prd_120934_1594crx.aspx

I am sure plenty of purists probably use stereo amps with their TTs, but how many of you use surround amps and still like the sound?

Are there better ways to improve the sound using theater rec/amp?

Licorice pizza likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Pioneer and Onkyo are both owned by Gibson now. In terms of using a receiver for vinyl I don't think you need have too many worries as long as you chose well. My Onkyo TX-NR818 has a great little phono stage onboard and I've never missed having an offboard one.

Much used to be written (and sometimes still is) about how poor AV amps used to be for music. I have to say it's been one of the best audio moves I've made in ditching traditional stereo integrated amps and moving first to AV amps and now active speakers with a passive pre for music and the Onkyo for movies and music. It's nice to have the choice and flexibility in the one system.

krisbee and RubenH like this.
  3. I haven't met an A/V Receiver who's phono input does a TT justice. The phono input on these are added as a convenience without real regard to performance.

Jim in Houston and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. landonspop

So is a decent phono pre-amp all that would be missing to give a good sound?
    I could compare with and without I guess, if so.
    I know there is a $500 difference between the 95 without phono input and the 97 with, plus about 5 watts per channel in stereo.

The specs on the pre-amp built in the Pioneer are .5mV @ 47Kohms

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. I would go with a dedicated phono preamp and use the savings of $500 between the 95 and 97 for such a purchase.

Dennis0675 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  6. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I have a Rega TT that passes through a nice AVR but into a more esoteric phono pre-amp so I can't comment on how it would sound w/ just the AVR running the show.

Thought I'd chime in here anyway to say congrats on the theater! :) I'm a video snob of the highest order and recently got a 70" 4k UHD set and every day I can't wait to get home and fire it up. The blacks, OMG, THE BLACKS!!! :) An image I never though possible in a home environment in my lifetime. Good time to be a movie junkie.

Enjoy!!

7. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Agreed, including my own.

My son recently added a Lounge LCR Mk. III to his setup and swears it's "...more than 100% improvement."

http://www.loungeaudio.com/#!lcr-mr-iii/c1vla

He was convinced when I re-routed my TT to my home theater pre-pro from my AI Modulus 3B tube preamp. He thought, and I agree, that the sound then went flat and lifeless.

8. I've heard wonderful things about the LOUNGE, so that might be a good option for the OP.

9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I ran my TT with 2M Bronze cartridge through my Pioneer sc86 and pre-outs to a Quad 909 for...three weeks. The sound was harsh/too hot and loud choral passages caused clipping. First cheap solution was to use a Rega fono mini phono amp into the CD input. Far better sound and no distortion at high volumes. Later for more flexibility of control and improved sound I connected the power amp to the zone2 output and to separate full frequency Wharfedale Jade 5 speakers. Now with a recent failure of the Pioneer's main motherboard (it's now on it's forth in four months) the AV amp is out of the stereo circuit replaced with the use of a Tisbury passive preamp and another jump in sound quality... deserving of a new phono preamp! (Lounge mkIII, this week).

That's my history of using a Pioneer AV amp. Its inbuilt phono section was trounced by an £80 Rega.

PS I am not related chili555 !

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Your TT should sound fine through the AV receiver. I don't know if adding a stereo amp would make much difference. The one area that could possibly make a big difference, which has already been mentioned in previous posts, is how the phono preamp in the AV receiver would compare to an external dedicated phono preamp. Try the lounge that everybody seems to love so much (I've never heard it) The most important synergy in vinyl playback is between cartridge and preamp. It's worthwhile to search online and see if you can find a preamp that's reported to be a good match for your cartridge. Good luck. :)

11. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I suggest you roll with your new HT receiver for a while and see how things sound.

I recently bought an Onkyo TX-NR838 with the intention of using it as a pre/pro with an Outlaw 5-challen power amp. But the Onkyo sounds just fine powering my Totem fronts and Polk surrounds, and I haven't gotten around to adding the Outlaw yet. You might find something similar with your new Pioneer.

As others have suggested, the biggest improvement will probably be using an external phono preamp into one of the receiver's AUX inputs. The Onkyo has a built-in pre with a decent reputation, but it doesn't have enough gain to match my TT w/a Denon DL-160 cartridge. I had a Clearaudio Nano lying around unused and am now quite happy with the results.

Licorice pizza and PhilBiker like this.
  12. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I've been using A/V receivers with my turntable for years. All the ones I've tried sound great to my ears but I'm not as picky as many on this site. Currently I'm using an old Sony STR-DA4ES and I think it's the bees knees.

keiron99, krisbee and Brother_Rael like this.
  13. landonspop

The specs on the pre-amp built in the Pioneer are .5mV @ 47Kohms if that means anything.

So is the pre-amp the main link to audio bliss? The A/V rec will be good enough if I get a decent pre-amp?

Right now my budget is tight, new TT, A/V Rec and TV. Santa Claus doesn't come for another year.

My thoughts were, if I get a pre-amp, it should also work on MC. Is the Rega RP6 worthy of a MC?

I also thought I would get a tube pre-amp. http://www.amazon.com/Bellari-VP130...=1453409245&sr=8-1&keywords=phono+preamp+tube

But, I also thought if I get one, get one with a USB out to record to cd. This is not mandatory, just a thought

I will try my new TT without one to start, and then I will be back to find the right pre in my budget then. Under $500 for sure.

14. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I have a Denon AVR 4311Ci that I use with my turntable, a Pro-ject 2Xperience Classic. (See my signature for the chain.) I always listen in Pure Direct mode, and I think it sounds great.

15. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

McIntosh (I have the mid-90's vintage MX-119) put excellent phono stages in their multi-channel home theatre controllers. I think my MX-119's phono stage sounds just as good as my Marantz 7C (1990's vintage repro by Marantz) and H-K Citation I phono stages.

16. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Sounds like my process. I think you'll find its rated at 5mV not 0.5 looks like it is probably the same as in my 86. The RP6 is well capable of supporting a MC cartridge. Note the Lounge phono amp we're all going for is MM only on its own.

17. Olias of Sunhill

Does your RP6 have the Exact 2 on it currently? I use this setup in my headphone rig and think it's a great combo. The table is "worthy" of an MC for sure but the Exact is no slouch and will absolutely work with your new receiver (might even be too hot).

18. landonspop

Yes, it has an Exact, not sure if #2. This is it http://www.soundstagedirect.com/reg...rtified-pre-owned-audio-equipment.shtml#41514

Supposedly 1 yr old.

I may never go MC, but I like to buy things once, when possible. Since it is used, I don't know when I might get another Cart. Cart is a whole other question... can you tell and I am back to vinyl after a long layoff?

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  19. Olias of Sunhill

Oh, so you jumped on that one! Nicely done. That's a great deal, and SSD are 100% trustworthy in my experience.

My advice to you: hook up the new TT to your new receiver via the phono input and listen to records for a while. Don't worry about external stages or power amps for a few weeks. You have some good gear coming your way and just might be happy with it as is. Happy listening!

20. landonspop

How do you shop for good quality vinyl? I thought to look for 180g or 200g, but then I read this doesn't mean good quality, just thick vinyl.

The FRiNgE and Licorice pizza like this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

The 'Music' forum of this site is excellent for finding out what records sound good and how to identify them if you're buying them used. For a sure thing, if you're a fan, you can start with the recent Beatles mono releases. Good luck. :)

chili555 and PhilBiker like this.
  22. landonspop

I played a live performance of Genesis from a vinyl back in 1981. It sounds great. The drum solos sound clean and crisp.

The only thing I added is the white reference belt. I do not even want to hear another turntable so I can be happy with what I have. The only other add on that I have heard could make a big difference is the subplatter.

The only issue I have going on, is that the needle is barely off the record when lifted and sometimes it touches the vinyl at the front edge, even when raised up. I don't want to have to go with spacer, but I was wondering if there was a way to add to the "lifter" to get it a little higher?

23. Olias of Sunhill

Glad you're enjoying your new table! I'm planning to add the white belt and aftermarket subplatter at some point, but I'm pretty happy with my stock RP6 at the moment.

I _think_ Rega lifters are adjustable via a tiny hex screw somewhere on the cueing lever, though I'm not at home and can't look at mine. Will confirm later if no one else chimes in.

24. landonspop

Thanks

25. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Listen with what you have first and if you like the sound stay with it for a while. I'm currently running my P25 through an NAD home theatre receiver which was supposed to be a very temporary move after my prior receiver quit, but it sounds rather nice and I'm suddenly in no hurry to replace it. Of course you can do much better with outboard phono stages as the sky is practically the limit, but you need a system capable enough to notice the difference.

And if that's your LaFerrari in your avatar, just get a proper phono stage already!

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.