TT Tuning.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McIntosh, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got my new Clearaudio Solution, OL RB 250 w/Grado Sonata all hooked up and now it's tweak time......

Midrange, escpecially voices are outstanding, but the lows are little muddy, highs a little thin. It sounds good, but I am wondering if it is my albums or if I can get it to sound even better.

It runs through an old Carver pre that I loved the sound of prior to replacing it w/my McIntosh HT stuff. (would like to keep it as I have a second arm w/cheaper cart coming to play some of the older salted albums I still have and it has two phono inputs) Sits on a glass covered MDF cabinet that weighs about 200 lbs.....

Where would you go from here?

What tips and tweaks would you try next.......

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That SHOULD sound just beautiful. I don't know why you've got some undesirebale gremlins in there.

I guess the first thing you should do (although you may have already) is give it a good record flogging. Spend some time listening to quite 'a-many-sides! Get your head deeper into the tonality and where it likes to sit. Plus, are you using the Grado reference, or the regular woody? Were you using a Grado Sonata before?

I'll say it like Yosimitie sam: Iiiieee hates Grados. Can't stand the sound or the technical quirkiness of most of their stuff, but they ARE popular carts and SHOULD still sound great. What Carver Pre are you using?

Make sure you have your sound "memorised" now, so changes going forward (bad or good) will be more evident.

Enjoy!

3. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

Mac-Mann,
    You might try siting the TT on a platform to better isolate from that heavy cabinet. As a former Linn LP-12 owner, I still adhere to their philosophy of a light but rigid platform for the TT. Symposium Svelte Shelf would be highly recommended under your TT and available from my "quiet" friend, Peter Bizlewicz @ Symposium.

4. McIntosh

The Carver is a C-1, it is the reference Sonata, and this is my first hi end table, last one was a Technics I bought in Japan in '74 !!

I seemed to get the best sound w/a vegative VTA - then some one said that should not be the case yada yada, I've raised and lowered and measured things to death by now.

Your right, I've probably played with it too much and making it harder than it needs to be. Tonite I go back to the neg VTA and just listen for a few days.

I just want to make sure I don't damage anything as often as I'm throwin the stylus on alignment cards and tracking force guages and measuring from here to there and from that point to this point.....WHEW - It's supposed to be fun !

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Exactly. No sudden moves, cowboy. You'll be suprised on just HOW easilly your brain plays tricks on you, but your ears don't! You'll THINK you hear improvements or pitfalls, when it's the opposite. It's tough changing a phonostage.

6. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

The Glass covered MDF cabinet could be improved (I think). The solution is a non suspended TT and should have the best possible rack. Preferably a wall mounted rack, but this also depends on your floor (concrete or wood). In any case, the solution is only a good turntable if its base is as quit and resonance free as possible.....this is actually the reason why I didn't buy it. I have no possibility to mount it that way.

7. McIntosh

In any case, the solution is only a good turntable if its base is as quit and resonance free as possible.....this is actually the reason why I didn't buy it. I have no possibility to mount it that way. [/B][/QUOTE]

How about maple butcher block ? I have an old 2" thick hunk from an old Island in my kitchen.......

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Shouldn't mount a turntable on wood if you can help it. Not enough vibration control....

9. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

10. McIntosh

Didn't Tom suggest taking the spikes off and using wood?

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Trust me here.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I *believe* Tom Port said to NOT use spikes under the TT as feet. They keep the table vibrations IN the TT! He said try using simple blocks of wood instead of spikes. Do you hear a difference?

I don't think Tom intended for anyone to use wood feet on a permanent basis - it was just an example, an easy test.

Is that it, Steve?

I'm going to try my stock TT feet (took the spikes off - thank you Tom!), buy a flat piece of stone (slate? marble? patio stone?) to put the TT on and put the spikes under the stone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.