Tube Amp for Klipsch Cornwalls - Fisher receiver or something else?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chiliarches, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It's a X-100B. I'm getting the X100 next week.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Are you planning to keep 'em both, or wait to figure out which one you like best and then move out the other?

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It's a little up in the air. If the guy who I'm getting these from accepts my Dynaco MKIII's in trade(which tentatively he is) then I'll probably take both. But if he decides against the trade, then I'll probably only take the 100 since I don't need 3 Fisher pieces in my collection, and I want a 6BQ5 amp in addition to the 500C. In the meantime, the 101B sounds incredible. Silky smooth. Very nice through the 2ax's, it really shines through the Cornwalls. Bigger difference then with the 500C, which sounds equally good with both, and I actually prefer it with the 2ax's. I presume the 100 will also be a better match with the Cornwalls. B

action pact likes this.
  4. action pact

I've taken a closer look at what's back there, and it's a quad of 1984-88 Reflektor 6P14P's.

From this post, it would appear that they have an expected lifespan of only 30o0 hours, so I guess I should start thinking about getting some replacements lined up.

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The kx-200 blew a fuse but I’ve run it for about 20 hours after replacing it without any problem. The extra power is really nice, seems to have much more bottom end and head room than the 400.

I have an app on my phone that measures db’s. With the 400 I couldn’t hit too far above 80db before it started to get grainy. The 200 will measure 90db and stay clean.

The 400 might have a sweeter tone or I’m just accustomed to it and that feels more normal to my ears.

action pact likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I can see from the photos that you are one of those "audiophile" interconnect kind of guy. :)

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

If you're referring to me, that's funny. Yeah, I long ago stopped buying expensive cables. Nothing against people who do, and I'm certain when you own and enjoy the type of system that our host does, that they can make a difference. But in my simple system with a bunch of components that are 50+ years old, I'm good with the Radio Shack specials.

rebellovw and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I thought that they looked familiar. :)

rebellovw likes this.
  9. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

For a long time I had Cornwalls and ran an Eico HF-81 with them. I believe it was about 15 WPC or something close to that. I lent the Eico out to a guy who promptly stole it and fell off the face of the earth. But it sure was a sweet setup while it lasted.

10. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're not only in my neck of the woods, you're the only other cross-poster on this thread between here and AK. Howdy! You have some nice gear.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Thanks! I noticed on AK that you're in Naperville. I've got a couple of old Bogen tube monoblocks that I've paired up with a set of Altec Valencia speakers. All that's left of my sojourn into tubes.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. action pact

Check out that meter on the back! Is that for setting the bias?

Ahem. My AK handle is "beatcomber."

Dennis0675 and EddieMann like this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yep, bias and balance

Panama Hotel likes this.
  14. action pact

That's bitchen.

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

When you open up old cornwalls and a fisher to see the gauge of wire they are running, it makes it hard to want to connect them with expensive wire. It’s like connecting two pieces of garden hose with a road tile.

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It really is an exceptional amp. It takes me awhile warm up to new equipment but it’s happened. I think I’m ready to say it beats the 400 by a good bit.

I’d recommend everyone keep an eye out for them. They’re under the radar and sell for about half of what a 400 goes for.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    SandAndGlass and action pact like this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The KX200 has almost the exact same look as the X100-B, which by the way I find to have a sweeter sound then my 500C. The KX200 is sort of the integrated version of the 500C, while the X101-B is like the 400.

I think the Fisher integrated's, in general, because of the lack of tuner and therefore a simpler makeup, might tend to have this characteristic over the receivers.

18. action pact

I guess I'm not the only one who finds the tuner-less Fishers a bit sweeter.

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Agreed. I think the lack of the tuner and headphone out kind of opens it up a bit. It’s also much lighter than the 400. Perhaps fewer breaks in the signal path?

action pact likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I am so blown away by my 101-B that I'm about to return the 500C that I got from the supplier of all this terrific Fisher gear. He's getting a X100 together for me, and while a big part of me would be truly ok to live with just the 101-B, I am interested in owning a 7189 amp. But I really don't need/have room for a 3rd piece, and these smaller watt pieces are much more to my liking these days. The X101-B sounds great on my AR 2ax's, and Cornwalls, and I'm guessing the X100 will also(at the very least the Cornwalls). Also, the X101-B does have a nice headphone jack and for the rare times I use them it's useful. I'd also pick up a Fisher tube tuner, probably the KM60. I like having a tuner, but keeping them separate might be the best solution.

SandAndGlass and action pact like this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Fisher KX-200 tube Stereophonic Master control amplifier Mint! | eBay

Seriously, for $500 there not a better amp you could buy. It’s certainly less than ideal that it doesn’t say a thing about being serviced or what tubes it has but with the extra $500 you have in your budget you could get it sorted out if needed. And expect that to be needed. Like I said up thread, I’ve measured it at 90db running clean with plenty of bass.

22. Chiliarches

Thread resurrection...

So here I am, about to plunk down $1,100 on a PrimaLuna Prologue 5 (per the recommendation of SandAndGlass on this very thread - the idea of a warranty and self-adjusting bias sounds very logical to me!)...been waiting a while to get it...was planning to start using it with my existing Yamaha A-S2000 integrated as a preamp and lo and behold, I read this in the 6Moons review:

So, 6Moons explicitly recommends AGAINST using this with sensitive speakers, which my Cornwalls certainly are.

Nah humbug, now I am indecisive again! I detest hum, drone, etc., drives me crazy. Any thoughts?

23. Chiliarches

Am I worrying too much?

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I would call Kevin at Upscale and relay your concerns. My experience with the various tube gear I’ve used with Cornwall’s is that there usually is a little noise depending on the gear, the shape it’s in, the shape the tubes are in and other factors like power supply, IC’s, etc. Generally speaking I’m not very fussy when it comes to noise like this. But everybody is different. I would say that chances are if you’re looking for dead silence tube gear with highly efficient speakers may not be right for you. But you’ll never know unless you’re able to audition, and that’s where having a conversation with Kevin might be helpful.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If there is an issue, it’s not because 40 wpc is overkill for Cornwalls.

Let’s face it, the primaluna option is compelling in part because it’s the least expensive new tube amp. You can’t buy a civic and expect it to drive like a Lexus. So...can you buy a better amp? Yes. Can you buy a better one for less money? Probably not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.