Tube Amplifers and Electronic Music

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SubtiltyCypress, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Can't speak for your Focals but hard-hitting electronic music hits hard and deep with Cornwalls...of course they have 15" drivers. Distance, Basic Channel/Rhythm & Sound, Dub music like Creation Rebel/On-U Sound, Tommy Four Seven, Skinny Puppy, Detroit Techno, Autechre, Underground Resistance, etc. are all handled with ease.

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum 2 amp has plenty of power for them and stays clean. Their Sphinx is almost half the price though and has a more transparent sound with tighter bass. The Cronus is smoother and has a deeper soundstage. The dealer in Philly should have at least one of those on demo. Not sure what speakers he has.

Low powered tube amps or even SS won't be your thing, I'm afraid. The 926 is capable of very good bass when fed the proper diet. The music that you listen to has it and the amp will need to be able to deliver that speed and transparency. That's where the smaller tube amps fall short. They can have a huge soundstage and sound warm and intimate at lower levels but the bass gets muddy and other colors of the sound happen at peaks as well. So while it can sound nice, it definitely has "a sound".
    -Bill

Norco74 likes this.
  3. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I think the OP should just pick a well-reviewed tube amp that matches his speakers and give it a go. If he doesn't like the results, it can always be returned or sold--good tube amps seem to hold much of their value.

SubtiltyCypress likes this.
  4. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I have a PrimaLuna Prologue Premium with NOS 12AU7s/EL34 into Tekton Pendragons.

Stuff like Aphex Twin, Mouse On Mars and Squarepusher through this set-up is astounding. Best I've ever heard. Organic and big. You might get faster/grippier bass through SS, but it will never sound this holographic and organic.

Tubes LOVE electronic, jazz, rock, prog, classical, etc.

With the right speakers...

5. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

i have a cm2, I listen to everything. You really just need to go demo stuff before purchasing blindly. Call ahead and tell them your hauling in your speakers.

KT88, SubtiltyCypress and Norco74 like this.
  6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

This says it all.

SubtiltyCypress and KT88 like this.
  7. SubtiltyCypress

SubtiltyCypress Forum Resident Thread Starter

The speakers I have now before I purchase the focals are the Klipsch r26fs. I like the bass they have and the forward presentation, but have you had any issues with vinyl records? When demoing records on other setups, like the Focals, the mistakes, extra surface noise translates as part of the picture, while with my speakers, its bigger pops, and I have heard other people having that same issue. Just wonering if you have noticed that...

8. SubtiltyCypress

I see a dealer in Bensalem, Quest for Sound, but I still cant find the exact dealer in Philly

Would a bigger Class D Amplifier be better then?

9. SubtiltyCypress

I have been listening to more older electronic music, and this sounds like it fits more with rave music than modern electronic, I am very intrigued. Any idea how it does with hardcore or eurobeat?

10. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

That’s my vinyl collection for the most part.
    :edthumbs:

Synthfreek likes this.
  11. SubtiltyCypress

I love these attitudes! I will definetly use these advices when I am finally ready to buy :righton:

rischa likes this.
  12. Norco74

That would probably be a 180 degree shift to the tube amp sweet sound. I found them usually cold/dry but matched with a warm frontend it could work. Again, have a try, it may be suitable for you. Don’t get intimidated by the spec values, your ears are the final judge.

I will definitely use a tube preamp and SS amp in the very near future. Best of both worlds.

13. SubtiltyCypress

I have considered that too, to make my records sound more calming, but how would the SS amplification handle a more tubey sound?

14. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I run a SS phono=pre into a line on the CM2. No worlds collided.

Go to a dealer (not a box), demo stuff, tell them what your trying to do. They may even have a line on used stuff or trade ins. I bought mine used and the phono pre as well.

15. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I don't know if it's up your alley, but I just put on the album Upstairs at Eric's by Yaz from '82, and I have to say it sounds amazing to my ears. Like T'mershi Duween, my speakers are high-sensitivity Tektons (Lores), which pair really well with tubes.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  16. Norco74

Prologue (no pun intended). Last year I acquired, after a few hours of in store comparison, a combination of headphones + hp tubeamp. Really liked the warm sound and overall sound enveloppe I was getting from this kit hence trying to uplifted my current preamp+amp+speaker setup to a new level.

In one of my first reply to this thread, I mentioned having tried 4 tube preamps with my actual SS modest amp. I found my amp neutral, transparent, sometimes on the dark side but suitable to drive my Maggies 1.6. It has no issue with the tube preamps however out of the 4 trials, only one was a nice match to my actual kit. I borrowed all of them, week after week, leaving the full list price credit card deposit. It really worths the time you invest in carefully choosing these hifi components. I usually keep them for very long period of time.

I also heard the Rogue Cronos Magnum II in store paired with the Harbeth HL5 +. I stop here... You just imagine how that sounded... :eek:

timind, G B Kuipers and JNTEX like this.
  17. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Borrowing (if necessary on deposit) is definitely my advise to the OP, because it seems that you have a specific idea about the end result you are trying to obtain, but the chances of succes if you just buy one item that is convincingly recommended in this forum are slim. People cannot look into your head.

An alternative (which is something I have done with some success) is to buy used: buy amps that you know you will be able te re-sell later on for about the same price. That gives you an opportunity to try out a piece for a couple of months (or even years), and you learn a lot along the way.

timind likes this.
  18. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Perhaps you could consider a combination of tube pre-amp and SS power amp?
    This in theory could address the bass ‘deficiency’ of 'all tube' amp, while retaining the presence and ‘3d-ality’ of tubes.

Regards

19. Jim13

Jim13 Forum Resident

I listen to loads of electronic music, I run an Oto signature, sounds fantastic.

20. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I listen to all types of music, and plenty of electronic.

I have a ss pre and a tube amp. Love the combo. McIntosh c47 with an Mc275.

JNTEX likes this.
  21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I believe high power Class D would perform well on electronic music.

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Call Rogue Audio. They know who their dealers are.
    -Bill

23. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I actually do it the other way around most times. Tube preamp and SS power amp. The Rogue Audio Sphinx that I am recommending this fellow is such a design in a single chassis. It uses a pair of 12AU7 tubes to drive a pair of Class D output stages, all supplied by custom linear power supplies. That sounds amazing with techno IME.
    -Bill

24. SubtiltyCypress

Hello Everyone! I wanted to update today as I came back from a shop called World Wide Stereo and I went there to listen to the Primaluna. When I walked in, I asked to see that amp, but they stopped having that in-store because they had a new Tube-hybrid in that he showed me, and it was the brand new McIntosh MA252, but with the Klipsch Forte, and the bass and sound wowed me instantly! Using electronic music! The man there said he has the Focals, but that he thinks I'd prefer the Klipsch, since they are a beast with bass too. The MA252 was very clear and enjoyable. With financing, that is what I am very interested at, but I will go to Quest for Sound and listen to the Rogue Audio setup they have either today or Wednesday. Hell, they even played it with the audio from a tv and it was magical :)

Norco74 likes this.
  25. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I have done my home theater and my listening room with WorldWide Stereo.

Their service is unbeatable.

I am talking significant projects including installing a Sony 4K projector, screen, 7.1.6 Dolby Atmos in Wall/in ceiling array, furniture, light carpentry work, acoustic panel installs and more.

In my listening room, we installed the gear you see in my profile, as well as acoustic panels and soundproofing curtains, and more.

If you’re just buying gear, you can do that anywhere.

If you want install help, and especially if you plan to buy McIntosh (Ken is a Mac Pro; look him up!), then I highly recommend them.

Good luck on your journey. WorldWide has been really great over the last two years with all of my projects...

SubtiltyCypress and Eigenvector like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.