Tube amplified below $500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Diptom, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diptom

Diptom New Member Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

Please suggest a Tube amplifier below $500.

I have been enamored by Sophia Electric S.E.T. Music™ Baby Amplifier, however the price is steep. Anything with similar performance range but half the price would be great.

Thanks for your help.

regards,
    Diptom

2. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

I don't want to come off the wrong way but...

There are some Chinese made tube amps on eBay in that price range. Your target price is so low, I would be highly skeptical of almost any offering.

dnuggett likes this.
  3. Mortsnets

Mortsnets Forum Resident

4. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I'll add... even if someone were to suggest such an amp, it would be irresponsible and incomplete without knowing the speakers/components surrounding it.

Doug_B likes this.
  5. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

The only acceptable tube amps in that price range are guitar amps or headphone amps.

6. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

What's the minimuim wattage/power amplification that your speakers require?

There are good used deals on Decware Super Zen amps that spring up every once in a while that cost only around $600, which IMO is a great price for an amp that is hand made in the USA and built like a tank. But since they are only 2 watts they can only drive very efficient speakers starting at around 94dB and up.

rob303 likes this.
  7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

8. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I owned a Sophia Baby 10 years ago or so. It's hard to remember details, but I sold it rather quickly, if that means anything. It probably doesn't mean anything, because I've sold a lot of good stuff, but I can't really remember anything great that stuck out on the "Baby".

9. oh Hal

oh Hal New Member

Hifiman is known for its headphones, but they have a new $500 tube integrated and also carry Qinpu. That Musical Paradise seems well regarded. The Miniwatt that was a bit of a sensation a few years back is still being made, but buying it would be a little more of an adventure. There are likely some DIY choices as well. Regardless, you'd have to choose speakers carefully and still might not get a lot of volume.

I've contemplated a Qinpu or Miniwatt for my basement workshop. It would be sort of a fun indulgence.

10. Tyler Eaves

I am suspicious of cheap low wattage tube amps for hi fi purposes. Unless dealing with extraordinarily efficient speakers (e.g. 98db+ sensitivity) you're going to be running the amp at or near wide open just to get normal listening volume, and that's only going to show out any weaknesses in the design and construction - both areas where corners have likely been cut to meet a price point. Not that it can't be done, but it ain't easy.

rob303 likes this.
  11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

What about expensive low wattage amps? I have found my low wattage amps run my Usher 520s very well. I rarely turn up past 50%. Also smallish rooms.

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Basically my thoughts. My experience with cheap(er) Chinese tube gear is you can't skimp on the transformers. They can actually sound good, but very noisy, YMMV etc.

13. Mortsnets

Mortsnets Forum Resident

14. Tyler Eaves

I am skeptical. The Usher's are speced at 86db sensetivity, which is well below what is generally recommended for low power amps. Can't imagine you'd have much headroom or dynamics.

rob303 likes this.
  15. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I rarely listen at cranking levels.

I am using that single ended EL84 amp on my Opera-Consonance M15's right now, but they are 98db. Right now the Ushers are connected to my 18 watt Almarro 318A 6C33c amp, which has enough grunt to power 86db decently. I am not into great detail as much as I am into musicality.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  16. Tyler Eaves

18watt is not what I'd consider low power. I'm thinking like 10w or less.

17. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Word to the wise..."Cheap" and "Tube Amp" are a recipe for disaster. It just does not work out well. Don't shoot the messenger.

18. Tyler Eaves

Also beware what you're actually buying. For instance there is that Bellari "Tube" phono pre-amp that is really a transistor circuit with a 12ax7 inserted into the circuit...but most of the gain is coming for chips.

rob303 likes this.
  19. ServingTheMusic

Yep. Throw in a tube that costs 5-10 bucks and call it a "tube" preamp. Have it glow nicely and charge a nice premium.

20. inperson

inperson Senior Member

But most cheap amp manufacturers aren't doing this.

21. ServingTheMusic

True..but I was addressing the fact that some tubed components are only that in name.

22. Diptom

Diptom New Member Thread Starter

Thank you all.

I am planning to use the tube amps with my epos epic 2 speakers - 90 dB, 4 ohms.

I guess my wait will be a little longer.

23. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Generally speaking, I would say save up in order to have more to spend. There are Chinese amps on the market that are cheap and perform well for the price, but, not in the under $500 range. There may be old used amps available in that price range, but, you would need quite a bit of expertise (or luck) when shopping for something used. I have personally not heard any of the supposedly miraculous bargain amps that lived up to the hype--heard two Decware amps that were, in my opinion spectacularly bad sounding (totally lifeless), heard both Project and Bellari phonostages that sounded like crap, etc. There is a Class D switching amp sold at Target for something like $79 that is quite decent sounding which should serve you well until you have the $1,500 or so that will need to meaningfully beat out this amp.

24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The problem with inexpensive tube amps is that the heart and soul of the device, the things that, more than anything else, are going to define, it's sound, performance, ability to mate with spekars, are the output transformers....and decent output transformers are expensive at wholesale, making it tough to produce a high quality stereo tube amp with real-world-useful power for a super budget price.

Tedster and jupiterboy like this.
  25. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

OP, do yourself a favor and heed the advice being given. As has been said, save your money, do your research and get proper tube amplification. I'd even suggest you check in on this thread along your journey so those who've commented above can keep you on course. It will be sooooooooo worth it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.