Tube lovers: do you have a SS system for background listening/home theater?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by senseabove, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got my first tube amp up and running this weekend (hooray!). I spent most of Saturday either setting it up or just sitting on the couch listening to it. It's one of those "whole new record collection" upgrades, which is excellent. I'm in love, and can't wait to hear some other tubes in it. Then on Sunday night, I was in the kitchen for a few hours cooking, with the music on in the next room, and later a friend and I watched a movie. All told, I probably put about 24 hours of play on it in two days, and a good number of those on the second day were non-critical, non-musical, or when I wasn't even in the same room.

Which got me thinking, do you tube folks with only one system have a SS amp for background listening, movies, and the like? I've only got some JJs in it right now, so I'm not too worried, as I'm sure I'll be changing tubes before these wear out, but if I put some nice tubes in, I can't help feeling like I'd be converting hours to pennies in the back of my mind while watching TV with it on.

Out of curiosity I started looking around, and found the Niles DPS-1 as a way to hook up two amps to one set of speakers. Should I bother getting something like that and keeping my previous amp around for non-critical listening? Or, in my complete newness to tubedom, am I worrying about things that aren't worth worrying about?

(And as a tube-wear-and-tear side question, the amp I have, the Cary AE-25 Super Amp Signature, seems to have a non-standard Standby feature, and since I don't have access to the manual, I'm not sure what the manufacturer recommends. The heaters don't come on until the standby switch is moved to "Operate." I understand that I should turn the amp on with standby activated, and after a minute or a few, switch from Standby to Operate. When I'm done listening, though, should I turn the amp off and wait a few minutes before switching the other switch back to Standby? Or if I'll be listening again soon, should I just switch it to Standby and leave it "On," so the heaters cool down but the amp otherwise is still seeing power?)

2. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I use a Marantz NR 1504 for watching TV and Video game/movie duties. Marantz makes respectable music reproduction even in their receiver line. At around $400 I would not want to invest much more on Solid State amplification because at $400 I won't be disappointed - at $2k or $10k or $50k for something that still winds up sounding solid state I would be progressively more disappointed. And the Marantz comes with a 3 year warranty ahead of competitors by a year. There is a more advanced in features NR1604 if you want 7 home theater channels over 5. And a less expensive 1503 and 1403 etc. http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=NR1504

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I have an active, multi-speaker bar thing. It's fine. Mounts to the wall above the TV, works with my universal remote.

4. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I have both a tube system and a solid state system in my main listening room. The SS 5.1 system for TV/Movie viewing. It also is used for surround discs (DVD-A, SACD and Blu-Ray) and when I just want to listen casually. Especially this time of year when the VAC Avatar can really warm up the room.

The only downside is the aesthetics of having 8 speakers in the room (5.1 for surround and 2 for stereo). Luckily, I have a very tolerant wife. Also, everything is in the family room. There are no electronics in our living room.

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have my CD player hooked up to an AV amp as well as a tube amp. Unless we are listening to surround, I have the surround speakers hooked up to the Front LR channels of the AV amp so my wife can play background music using the AV amp. It doesn't sound very good since the surrounds are pointed towards the couch from opposite sides, but what does she care- she's usually in a different room

6. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

My KT-88's are warming the room behind me while I work from home today with the radio running as background music. They also power the mains for movie watching. To me, it's not worth the investment or bother to swich things around all the time. Bought the amp to enjoy it, not work at it.

jupiterboy likes this.
  7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I am lucky in that my two channel SET amp that also powers the two front channel speakers in my 7.1 system provides easy access to the tubes. I put in the expensive 300B tubes for critical listening, and the Chinese cheapo 300Bs for movies/TV (and they don't sound bad at all).

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's not how things work in the amp. If you'd like to have a run-down on what I think that you should be doing and how to best address your concerns, you can give me a call and we can discuss it in real time.
    -Bill
    (540) 387-5050

9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Nope. I have a Cronus Mag amp. All digital runs through an Oppo 105. The Oppo is essentially an expensive digital switch. TV is running about 60% of the time. I usually don't even watch it.

10. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I use the c32's 10 watt monitor amplifier when I'm working at my desk.

11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

After integrating my tube amp/preamp into the HT setup for ages, I decided that my wife did not need to run the amps to watch her TV shows, I separated the 2channel system into it's own world and added a Sonos Playbar, Sub, and Connect Amp(rears). Soon much simpler, huge WAF factor and everyone is happy.

12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Two systems here, too. PSB 5.1 system with Acurus ss amplification for video, and a McCormack/Maggie/REL tube system for music. Does the trick, particularly when I watch sports and substitute the Zombies for the inane sportscasters.

13. senseabove

Thanks, folks! Looks like I'll investigate getting some sort of casual-listening system in place. I'm currently significant other-less, but I don't think I could handle 8 speakers in my living room. There's hardly enough space for the equipment I already have, so I'll look into a two-amp/one-speaker-set system.

I assume you're referring to the standby question, rather than the main question?

Gary likes this.
  14. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I do the same thing.

15. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

I've found my Prologue Two amp and main hifi system doesn't do benign 'background music' very well - it's just too damn involving to not get distracted by it. For that (if reading or whatever) I often indeed use the Cambridge SS amp and basic speakers in the separate TV system. OK sound and far less presence.

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have three systems :hide: one tube and two SS. I also have bits for another plus some extra speakers, vintage Dynaco separates (PAT-4 & ST80), a Technics receiver and some odds and ends. I like the idea of something SS, just flick a switch, press a few buttons and MUSIC!! :D

For serious listening (or serious enjoyment, I should say) I have my tube system.

nm_west and timztunz like this.
  17. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

1 portable tape/radio/CD players in kitchen and 1 around the house, I use it if I need it. Have used it July/August so far.

sean

18. mds

mds Forum Resident

Main 2-channel listening is all tubes but the CD player. Home theater is SS using my old amplifiers that I owned prior to discovering the magic of tubes for two- channel listening. Home theater needs the brute power SS can bring economically.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

There is a difference between a SS system and a SS power amp. I would never ever have a SS system. But a SS power amp is a different matter as long as All pre-amplification is tube.

20. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

The AE-25 does not use many tubes, and it likely runs them somewhat conservatively (given 25wpc output ratings), so I'd probably just use it for everything. You'll spend more to get decent SS amplification than you will on several tube replacements, so just use the good stuff exclusively!

The AE-25 is built to a standard that should allow it to last for decades of trouble-free operation, so it will have no problem being the "workhorse" in your system.

senseabove likes this.
  21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

My home theater has separate systems for movies and music-only.
    For music it's a Cayin stereo tube amp powering KEF tower speakers.
    For movies, I'm using a SS receiver by Denon powering a 5.1 channel speaker set-up (mostly Quad).

It works well for me. I'm more critical when listening to music than movie soundtracks--thus the separates.

22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Feel the same way about a tube preamplifier / solid state power amp combo?

23. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

SS for surround sound only.

There's no point in spending the big bucks on a secondary "HiFi" amp or system for passive listening IMHO - that's where an iPhone dock will do the trick.

That way, you can focus all of your budget on the one system and maximize the quality of your best stuff for the dollars.

24. senseabove

Oh, this wouldn't be a big budget, and I'm not even investing in surround sound. I don't have the space (or, really, the interest) for a surround system. I love movies and film, but I live in the Bay Area, hence the space problem, and I can just go to the movies for a quality film experience, because there's probably something showing I want to see on any given night. I live in biking distance of at least 7 theaters, from two screen to megaplex, and have access to another dozen if I want to get on public transit.

That's the impression I'm getting! I contacted a few people trying to track down a manual and all of 'em spoke very, very highly of the amp. I am absolutely loving it so far.

But even if the AE-25 runs tubes gently, I'm still in the budget audiophile camp, so if I drop a few hundred on tubes, I want them to last a very long time, and those hours I use on a Netflix binge could've gone to a Blue Note binge. So I'd rather spend a little on a speaker switcher, plug in the old Rotel amp I was using as a stopgap with some cheap cables I have around, and not worry about it. Which sounds like a conclusion lots of other folks have come to as well...

countingbackward likes this.
  25. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

I'd generally advise against speaker switchers - adding to the signal chain can only degrade the sound. So your Blue Note binge sessions will be a wee bit less enjoyable with the switcher in the signal chain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.