Tube Problems and Cons - Need HELP!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Funky54, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

V10 looks a little smoked.

2. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good Thread Starter

Wow. Your the first other than who sold them to me that uses these speakers. You give me great hope!

I'm checking v10, do you mean pin 2 on v10?

3. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Don't see anything around V10 except a little solder flux.:confused:

jeff

4. Spin Doctor

I thought it looked like it may have gotten overheated because of the "dusty" appearance. Looking at it again, everything in that corner is kinda dusty, so it's probably not that... Hard to tell from a pic.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  5. Spin Doctor

There are a few of us out there, lol. I'd be interested in hearing a set with a lot of power behind them though. What I really like about them is the midrange clarity, the soundstage and the layered presentation. Coincidentally, I used to run them with a Carver TFM-35 amp also, which was about 350w into 4ohms IIRC. So it was prolly rated a little higher for the 3 ohm load of those speakers. The 30w Hercules tube amp sounds way better overall and seems just as loud. I may spring for a really nice amp at some point, but most of my spare change gets sunk into bass guitar gear.

I had the woofers rebuilt and balanced at MillerSound some years ago. So they should last another 25 or 30 years, I'm hoping, lol.

So what are you planning to do, amp-wise?

6. Funky54

Well, I've had a long journey. I too have upgraded the speakers. Nola talked me into upgrading and it did make a noticable improvement. I was very happy before.. but its just plain "more" after the new drivers. I measured 101db at 19hz when using two Carver C-500 bi-amped. With one Carver I couldn't hit those numbers so the added power supply stiffened the base even more. However, I lost a bit of "presence" with the Carver vs the Outlaw Audio amp. (Also tried Crown, bryston 4b, Aragon and a few others) the Jolida does change it a bit. I'm not sure if that's better... but it wasnt worse.

I think I'll repair the Jolida... somewhere? I cant find anyone. I will give it a chance but I'll likely replace it. My delima is this. Its going to cost $160 or so to ship. I think its fair to assume the repair will be at least $300 where ever it goes. Used they go for about $1100. I have that in it now already.

If I pitch it I loose everything except a bunch of extra EL34 tubes. I could sell it for parts and hope for $300-$400.

I dont know.. very discouraging.

No matter what I'm holding out for even bigger tube power. Trying to find a VTL 225 watt or 300 watt pair of monoblocks I guess. But not right now with my money tied up with this debacle.

I do know this, the base just keeps doing more, the more watts I throw at those speakers. Tighter, more forward.

I'm angry with Jolida. I'm angry with my decisions, listening to Jolida about that board cost, the run around and now I'm burnt.

I could have sent it back to the seller... but when Jolida told me only $100 for a new board I figured it was a good move to keep it. The seller refunded me a portion of the money, but I said Id keep it because of Jolida saying I could get the board. Bad decision... Fool me once. I know another Jolida or this Black diamond or black Ice new name, isn't going to get a chance. I'm done with them. No offer from them to repair it either.

Right now I have it hooked back up to my Outlaw audio for power. I have a nice shiny paper weight to look at with the Jolida.

[​IMG]

It was a beautiful dream...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. Spin Doctor

Maybe you can contact the seller and explain that you've been working on getting it fixed, but the manufacturer isn't being true to their word. He may just give you the money back, if he's a stand up guy. Granted that's prolly a long shot...

Besides, it's not your fault is Jolida says they can fix it and then, renege on the deal. They should just suck it up and take care of it in the manner they said they would. Also I'd send this thread to Jolida, and show them they are not helping their reputation among people who would be their customers... They probably don't care as a company, but somebody who works there probably does. They should anyway...

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Funky54

Might be a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.