Tubes Are Coming...What Should This Solid State Dude Expect?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wags, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You're in a good position. Just using a SS amp to get you by until you hear what an ST-70 does.

You have to experience it for yourself. I don't think talking about it justifies it very well.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think you're gonna like what you're about to hear, Wags! :)

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

From my Dynaco experiences, you're gonna notice that the midrange comes alive (voices become more natural, echo and reverb are more distinctive - wait'll you play some Sun Records stuff - get a Bear Family Sun comp to get the throb); the highs will shimmer and linger - cymbals will sound more brassy/less sizzly. The damping factor with Dyna tube amps is on the low side like many classic tube amps - this means that if you have low sensitivity/long throw woofers you'll probably get some "flabby" bass as the amp doesn't grab onto the woofer with a hammerlock like a SS amp can do. The more you listen via the tubes, the less the sound seems to be "flabby."

Grover might tighten things up some with his mods - if you're out there, Grover, please fill us in on yer Dynaco mods!

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Oh yeah, if you gots the cash, Mullard EL-34's rule the roost; they were rebranded by most of the big name companies (they show up as RCA, GE, Zenith, Amperex, and lotsa other names from the 50's); on a tight budget - try the Siemens East German EL-34 - it's a really nice tube (thanks for the lead on these to our host)...

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Well, the one thing you are sure to notice is how hot it's getting in your listening room. Now that might be a good thing if you live in the North and winter's coming along.

Another thing you will probably observe is a change in behaviour - looking on eBay for NOS tubes, stopping at yard sales if you see an old valve radio, getting all excited when upgrading to a tube that was made years before you were born adds a palpable improvement in the sound.

The more things change ....

Regards,
    Geoff

7. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I bi amp st70 top ESS 500A bottom (500 watts channel into 4 ohms)
    sounds great. ( C20 pre amp and ESS AMT 1A tower 1/4 wave length transmission line 2 way speakers)
    I have 3 crossovers, AR EC2 tube, Pyramid and a ESS 2241. They all sound a bit different. JBL makes the best one if you want to spend $2k and then modify the caps and resistors to change it from pro to audiophile grade.
    Grover discourages bi amping due to the sonic signature of the crossover.

8. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

Sorry to hijack the thread, but was that an Audio Experience, by chance?

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Re: Re: Tubes Are Coming...What Should This Solid State Dude Expect?

Gee, I hope not. I own the Y&S Symphonies pre-amp and it sounds wonderful. It's very well built (by hand/no, not what you first thought) with very good quality parts with point to point soldering (silver wire, etc.). It's a no thrills pre-amp (input selector, volume, balance). I bet this would sell for tons more money if it were made in the U.S. (with a known audiophile company). I also have some nice Telefunkens in there which give it some nice life (thanks Steve). Say it isn't so Wags, say it isn't so.... :)

10. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tubes Are Coming...What Should This Solid State Dude Expect?

That's very possible. If it had a hum then it seems like something was wrong with the unit. Maybe the tubes were on their last legs? It's a shame you had such a bad experience with that pre-amp. I'm very impressed with the one I have because it does it's basic job very well. The Telefunkens really did raise the quality bar several notches.

Todd

11. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

wags posted
    ... but I'm just trying to keep the bass tight while adding midrange magic ....

I am a very happy owner of Grover Electronics modded Dynacos, the ST 70, and PAS-3. Since late July, and I am enjoying it tremendously.

I, too, was concerned about the bass. But I think I have better bass now than before. The finishing touch was a Grover Phono DIN Interconnect, I could not believe the improvement in the bass (as well as soundstage).

12. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I'll Second the statement above!:)

13. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Grover's Dynaco mods?

I'd like to hear more about this -- I have an ST-70 and a PAS-2 that might need some upgrading.

14. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

Thanks Todd, wags for both of your opinions. I'd posted a couple of weeks back about the MK3 in particular, but wasn't able to get any responses. Again, I'm sorry for taking the thread off-topic, and enjoy the Dynaco!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.