Tuesday 5th DVD releases

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Guys- What are you buying on Tuesday as far as DVDs go? I will be picking up the new Casablanca and the Rocky, Bullwinkle and Friends season 1. What else is coming out. I know there is Laurel and Hardy (Handshake) DVD coming out as well as The Simpsons season 3 later in the month. So much to buy...
    Rob

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I already have two Tuesday releases in my hot little hands ("The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" and "The Haunting"). I'm also looking forward to "Casablanca Two-Disc Special Edition", "The Thing from Another World", and "The Sure Thing".

Hmmm? This gave me an idea for a sci-fi romantic comedy called "The Sure Thing from Another World". I better start rounding up financing. :)

Regards,

3. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Although it may not be everyone's "cuppa tea" I'm kinda looking forward to the Superbit release of Starship Troopers, as well as picking up the Haunting and Casablanca SE. Looks like an expensive Tuesday for your's truly! :sigh: :rolleyes:

:cheers:
    Cat

4. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

This is my confirmed schedule of purchases - plus a few impulse buys along the way when Netflix does not have it or it is a long wait.

8/26
    The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Wide-screen Edition)
    Dark Side of the Moon - Classic Album dvd (?)

9/2
    High School Reunion Collection (The Breakfast Club / Sixteen Candles / Weird Science)

9/9
    The Lion King (Disney Special Platinum Edition)
    24 - Season Two
    Sleeping Beauty (Special Edition)

9/30
    2 Fast 2 Furious

10/28
    1969 The Italian Job (original version)

11/4
    The Adventures of Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark/The Temple of Doom/The Last Crusade) - Wide-screen (FINALLY)
    Legally Blonde 2

November 18th 2003
    Thunderball before moratorium from January 19th 2004 for an indefinite period

5. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

You can wait for couple months and get
    The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Extended Edition) (Widescreen) (2002)
    DVD Release Date: November 18, 2003
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/002-3799093-5142423?v=glance&s=dvd

It will have DTS sound. And two DVDs with extras.

~Mikhail

6. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Me too, Cat! Not the highest budget film, but it's still a SciFi! Looking forward to seeing the improved video performance.

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Target's ad has the Bullwinkle set at $24.99 here - that's $5.00 less than Best Buy. I have a gift card at BB with a few dollars still on it, so I'll get it there, then whip out the Target ad and make out like a bandit with the 10% difference refunded - yeeee haw!!!!

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Casablanca SE for me. $19.99 at CC.

Plus The Omega Man and Soylent Green (on order from Amazon).

I have never seen the original The Haunting, sounds like that may be a good sight-unseen pickup.

9. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

"Where Eagles Dare" for me.......Sept. 2

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

John: Really, you've never seen it?? It's my favorite scary movie! Cue it up on Halloween, it'll scare the willies out of your kids!:eek: :eek: Not to mention you and the Mrs!:eek: :eek:

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Oooh, thanks for the tip! I've got credit at Best Buy!
    :righton:

12. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

Man, I can't wait for the original "Thing". I must have watched it a million times on "Million Dollar Movie" on channel 11 in NYC. The John Carpenter re-make stinks......anyway you slice the thing.

Bill

13. R. Cat Conrad

Sorry Bill, I would like to agree with you, but in all honesty I could NOT disagree with you more on this! The original version of The Thing may be loosely based on John W. Campbell's "Who Goes There" ...one of the verifiable classics from the golden age of SF, but when I say loosely based, I mean VERY loosely! :sigh:

Don't get me wrong, Howard Hawk's version of The Thing, directed by Christian Nyby, is a fine little 50's era science fiction flick that deserves respect, but it's theme is more reflective of the paranoia that was central to the times (i.e., at the peak of the "red scare" & McCarthyism) than it is to a well told SF tale. Unfortunately ...for me at least, irrespective of it's claustrophobic setting and allegorical symbolism, the early version never really succeeds in conveying the sense of total isolation, fear and "alien-ness" of John W. Campbell's masterfully told story. Conversely, I feel that John Carpenter's version is much more successful at this because it's closer to capturing the atmosphere in the original story! Note: In John Carpenter's version, the alien is VERY alien; it's an incredibly scary creature, quite intelligent and capable of adapting to it's surroundings with uncanny efficiency. :eek:

I should note here that I'm not a huge fan of John Carpenter's more recent films! Shortly after a string of excellent modestly produced films, culminating in bigger productions like The Thing and the even more successful mainstream SF film Starman, it seems like his craftsmanship as a filmmaker started to nosedive; perhaps he just got sloppy as his budgets increased or he quit trying to fight the Hollywood system and started turning out more mundane fare. :rolleyes:

At any rate, I don't wish to offend you or any other fans of the earlier film, but I must strongly differ with you about John Carpenter's version of The Thing being an "odiferous" film (i.e., IMO, it does NOT stink, ...any way you choose to cut it!); I consider Carpenter's version one of the all time classic SF films in it's own rite! :thumbsup:

A corroborating opinion/review:

http://www.darrylsloan.com/booksread/campbelljw-whogoesthere.htm

Cat

14. Beatlelennon65

So BB does price matching then? Looks like I will go there and get Bullwinkle for under 25 bucks plus Casablanca. I might have to pick up the Highschool reunion 3 pack too. I will wait until November to pick up the LOTR.

Clay- Are you serious about the Legally Blonde 2? Though maybe you were joking...:)

15. Beatlelennon65

What is this DSOTM classic album DVD?

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It's part of the classic albums documentary series. It will be a 92 minute documentary on the making of the album. It's due out on August 26th.

Regards,

17. Beatlelennon65

I think I saw one of those for the Joshua Tree album from U2. I may have to pick up the DSOTM classic album DVD.

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

2 of the best of this series is the Steely Dan Aja one and the Who's Who's Next disc.

I would imagine the DSOTM version will be equally good.

19. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

20. R. Cat Conrad

Thanks for the polite reply, Bill; I appreciate your giving the Carpenter film another chance and likewise I'll make the effort to see the 50's version again since it's been awhile. :cool:

BTW, in retrospect, I guess that there's one thing I'm miffed about with the Carpenter version; it's that the dad-blamed movie isn't available as a WS anamorphic DVD yet. :shake:

Cat :D

21. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I believe season 4 of DS9 also comes out today. I'm gonna have to scrape together some dough for that...

I already picked up Casablanca and listened to Ebert's commentary. Good stuff.

22. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Am I the only one who rushed out yesterday to get VALLEY GIRL? The dvd has videos from The Plimsouls and Modern English, and it's not a bad film, either. Deborah Foreman is hot.

23. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I understand the vent, especially the painful absence of Deborah Foreman from any of the interviews, but I got all I expected on this dvd. Something about these 1980's classics that make the dvd people straddle the line between bare-bones and full-blown SE. The movie looks fine, and the sound is good, so I'm happy. I love this movie.

BTW- The sound on the video for "Melt With You" is fine, but when it appears in the film I get static in the low passage where the singer hums. Anyone else notice this?

24. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Lisa,
    Did we see the same film??? I was having just the opposite reaction to this DVD. In some ways, I got everything I wanted with this package, and more. I'm not trying to be cute (no chance of THAT!) but did you burrow all the way down into the "Featurettes" section on the Widescreen side of the disc? That's where Peter Case talks about the role of The Plimsouls in the film. They even interviewed the lead singer for Modern English and even Josie Cotton! I hope that maybe you just missed that section.

I hate to admit to how much I have loved this film since it first came out. I remember reading a review of it in my local paper and wanting to see it but not being able to talk my (then) girlfriend into going. I never saw it until it started running on cable and I was immediately hooked. I had a laserdisc copy for years and spent a LOT of time trying to track down all of the music to make my own soundtrack CD.

One thing that I thought was interesting was that they didn't even mention the original soundtrack album. IIRC, it was a 10" vinyl disc that was pulled from distribution almost as soon as it came out. It became one of the rarest soundtrack releases ever. It took several years before Rhino released their 2-disc set. I even bought a bootleg CD that contained most of the music from the film. I haven't checked the DVD to see if they restored all the music to its original theatrical edit. The video releases swapped a few of the songs (probably for rights issues) but the video lineup was all I knew. The credit roll at the end of the movie was the only give-away.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.