Turn table crackle issue. Get out your thinking caps!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

GSM cellular technology is notorious for this. CDMA does not have the same effect in my experience. So, here in the US, AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM and will cause interference. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA and from what I've experienced do not.

EDIT @Cockroach beat me to it by a few seconds.

Cockroach likes this.
  2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

In my situation the cell phone interference is not constant it comes in bursts and then not a peep. I'm on project fi which utilizes Sprint (cdma) and TMobile (gsm) technology. Normally it is picking up TMobile in my music room and my WiFi is in that room also. Not a peep unless the phone is in there.

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

my phone is GSM.

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm stuck on static. The AC may be drying the air too much. What happens if you stick a little bit of moist paper towel under the TT dust cover and just leave it there with the input active and everything hooked up (but not playing records)?

6. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

cellphones will definitely cause noise in audio gear, if placed near them and the radio is activated, which can happen any time, not just when making calls. Happens on amps/preamps, guitar amps, etc. Phono is especially sensitive. should keep them *at least* 8-10 feet away from electronics

7. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Maybe a stupid idea, but did you swap inputs with your 'digital' source and make sure it's not a problem in the preamp section?

8. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

After reading through this post is it correct that the issue has "resolved" by relocating a cellular ph0ne? If so was it just your phone or does your wife's phone (assuming you both use the same carrier) have the same effect? From all you report the distortion is from the TT. So the question is what about the TT is acting as an antennae (if it is phone related)? Have you tested the phone theory by bringing the phone close to the TT and then slowly backing away to see if the distortion ceases? You can not reproduce the issue anywhere but you system location (you tried at your dealer). Have you anything to report when trying the TT in your other system? Did you have your phone with you at the dealers? Something about this is so very odd.

9. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

I have a Sprint phone. Samsung 5 I think.

I haven't heard the crackle in question in days...until today when my phone was near my TT

10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I use one of those cassette tape adapters in my old truck to listen to the phones music, after a while it will start crackling on the stereo. If I grab the cord to the adapter it grounds it and it stops...let go and it crackles.
    I just tuck it under my arm and it stops.
    The phone imparts energy/noise to the line and if I ground it with my arm it stops. Maybe kinda sorta related. Maybe the phone imparts energy/noise to the line in the tone arm.

11. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Perhaps you can experiment a bit more: Try shutting off Blue Tooth and WiFi services if they are activated. One at a time; Try a complete phone shut off when you hear the noise: Can you pull the battery on your phone? If so once the system goes snap crackle and pop then pull the battery. The phone is mostly a receiver of signals. But it also transmits to check mail, give out GPS data , update pushed content like messages, news and weather. Were you able to duplicate the sound with any other phone besides yours. It is possible that the phone is defective in some minor way. If your wife has the same phone with the same settings and it does not cause issues then maybe....?

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Hmmmm...Sprint uses CDMA which doesn't usually cause such interference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.