Turner Classic Movies (TCM) -- the best cable channel?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BEAThoven, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just thinking out loud here after reading that "time compression" thread--

Could this cable channel be the banner for effectively merging the respect for the art they choose to "sell" while still addressing commercial/financial concerns?

I really believe this station could be the perfect illustration of having the "best of both worlds," as it were.

So many current cable stations definitely give me the feeling that their actual programming is just a "necessary evil" to fill time between commercials.

Just wondering what other folks think and what other channels they think strive to reach a higher standard.

milankey, junk and Benno123 like this.
  2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The Weather Channel is the best now that Dave Schwartz is back!:)

Seriously, TCM is an excellent example one of the best cable stations. They certainly have a respect and love for the cinema heritage, and their programming strikes a good balance between the obscure and challenging and mainstream. I guess another way to ask this question is "Could TCM be improved?" and I'd say 'not by much'.

junk likes this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Much love for TCM at our house.

nightstand68 and junk like this.
  4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Other than for baseball, TCM is the only channel I watch. And now I get it in HD!

Mark E. Moon, milankey and junk like this.
  5. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Don't jinx it...

6. junk

junk Hellion

Looove TCM! Watch it almost everyday. I've even begun to dress like some of the characters on TCM...Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart and all...:agree:

nightstand68 and John B Good like this.
  7. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

It's about the only one which hasn't sold out and regressed (like Bravo, A and E, ESPN Classic, TLC, MTV, History, PBS, etc).

nightstand68 and junk like this.
  8. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I check there first. Can't imagine being without it.

9. junk

junk Hellion

And the Sundance channel! Whatever happened to the Sundance channel?! It used to have some of the coolest oddball independent feature films, world cinema, documentaries and short films. I used to watch it all the time. Now it mostly just sucks! :cussing:

g.z. likes this.
  10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I recently watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. Terrific!

Even PBS has far more 'interruptions' than TCM, which are among my favorite channels.

JimC and junk like this.
  11. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

I thought the Sundance channel was the best thing since sliced bread when I discovered it in 2000. Except for a couple of series, I mostly avoid it like a plague.

Big TCM fan here.

junk likes this.
  12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The Hustler is on now. I can't remember the last time I saw it. Great movie!

13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

TCM is pretty much the only reason I haven't dumped my cable yet. I wish they were available on Roku.

I have noticed a worrying trend of them starting to repeat titles more frequently than they used to. Don't know if it's due to a change in programming philosophy, or lack of inventory, or what. I'd sure hate to see them become the TV equivalent of a 500-song classic rock radio station, though.

Benno123, John B Good and junk like this.
  14. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

Yes, they have been repeating titles a lot over the last year, or less. Far too 'top 40-like' for me. Plus they have been doing some very strange varied theme days as well on a regular basis. Programming on that channel has definitely changed, and I am not all that pleased with it, especially when the same movie, of a particular actor/actors is played repeatedly, while other notable movies by the same actor/actors are completely ignored.

Benno123 and junk like this.
  15. junk

junk Hellion

Agreed.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Anything they are going to run that I want to watch I most likely already have. But still a great channel.

17. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I love TCM but I do agree they have become a bit repetitive lately. However, I did like their musical retrospective last month with Michael Feinstein, giving some due to underrated musicals like Star! and Finian's Rainbow.

18. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I've only had it for a few years, and thought that maybe it was just a limited inventory. But more often in the last year I've noticed 'blackout in effect' slots in the program guide. Wondered if that was only in Canada?

19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

One-of-a-kind treat (for now, anyway)

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Probably the best station on television. I wish I had the time to watch all the things I want to see on there.

21. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

I agree with you guys about TCM also I would like to add that they have shown films by Ozu (even his silent stuff) and they showed the Wadja war trilogy and of course great classics like Metropolis and Dr Mabuse. I could go on and on but I am a big fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.