Turntable abuse at Guitar Center -- oh the pain!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I was at Guitar Center tonight, and for some reason they had gotten six Technics SL-1200s in "pre-owned." One looked pretty worn ($339) but five were in minty shape, including three SL-1200Mk5. These were pretty much in immaculate shape ($499). Or THEY WERE...

After I admired the tables I went to look at a midi box I needed in another part of the room. I was looking at my item when I heard this grinding sound. I turned around...

There were two 12 or 13 year old boys, chubby brothers. and they had the arms of the SL-1200s in their hands. There were literally wresting with the arms, trying to see how far they could bend them in different direction. I'm mean, I almost fainted. The grinding sound? One of them was pressing the arm (sans headshell) into the platter as hard as he could and spinning the platter to make a grinding sound, like he was working a grinding wheel. Oh my god!!! It was a nightmare!! And here were these two beautiful tables being totally trashed and manhandled by these bruts.

Well, there was no staff nearby, so I just walked over there and said to the one who was pushing the arm as hard as he could away from the table, like he was trying to tear it off, and said "Hey, you're gonna break that!" He looked at me and immediately dropped the arm and walked off, but I'm afraid I would have to pass on the table! And I feel sorry for the next excited kid who came in with $500 thinking he was getting a minter.

It literally made me feel ill for about five minutes seeing those brats trying to purposefully destroy those tables! Unbelieveable! I'm absolutely sure those arms were toast!

The funny thing is, three days earlier I had been there and was looking at the new Pioneer PLX-1000. I tested the arm and it was practically rattling, the bearing were so loose. Now I know why!!! Advice to Guitar Center shoppers --- don't buy your table off the floor! It's a shame because that's the only way your going to see a pre-owned technics displayed. Oh, the humanity! Those little bastards! It was like something from a National Lampoon vacation movie!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    bluemooze and Atmospheric like this.
  2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

And that is one of the reasons I do not frequent my local Guitar Center.

In the dedicated Pioneer PLX-1000 thread, many noted the loose arm as an issue, so that may be due to a design flaw and not abuse by Spanky, Mickey Alfalfa etc. :)

3. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

I was never able to get a new unplayed guitar or amp at Guitar Denter. Everything there is abused.

4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The bearing issue on the Pioneer is common. It's also easily rectified. I love mine.

johnny q likes this.
  5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Sad thing that if they came from DJ use, that was likely not the worst they have suffered. Great thing is that being a 1200, it likely just takes that abuse in stride and plays on!

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It's incredible those 2 kids were able to get away with trashing 500 bucks items. I'd have snitched them in a split sec so their parents would have to pay for the damages.

7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

[QUOTE="Waxfreak, post: 12204285, member: 52466"]It's incredible those 2 kids were able to get away with trashing 500 bucks items. I'd have snitched them in a split sec so their parents would have to pay for the damages.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you'd sorta think the store would have employees keeping an eye on something at that price level. I've never been in a Guitar Center, maybe it's a big box type place where there's really no employees around to help answer question and watch for tomfoolery.

8. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Yeah, you'd sorta think the store would have employees keeping an eye on something at that price level. I've never been in a Guitar Center, maybe it's a big box type place where there's really no employees around to help answer question and watch for tomfoolery.[/QUOTE]

Yea like Ray's Music in Blues Brothers.

Mister Charlie and forthlin like this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I haven't been to a Guitar Center in almost ten years. Horrible places. I've seen way too many atrocities committed to helpless musical instruments in those places - many times at the hands of their own paid staff.

10. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Senior Member

It's a pity that their parents didn't raise them to be conscientious enough NOT to destroy things. Look, don't touch, especially when in a place with expensive or delicate merchandise.

-Pat

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I never buy anything at GC except for strings, picks, cables, etc. All of the guitars on the wall have fingerprints and often rusty strings.

If I buy online, I get a factory-fresh instrument, and returns/exchanges are hassle-free if I get a dud.

Upinsmoke and riknbkr330 like this.
  12. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

And the cacophony of people trying to out shred each other........I hate that place.

Atmospheric likes this.
  13. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I would've done a Mortal Combat-style 'Finish Him' Fatality move on both of them instantly. What were you thinking, man?

[​IMG]

The Pinhead and leeroy jenkins like this.
  14. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I would have said something to the store staff. Parents need to keep an eye on their kids.

15. action pact

At least in the two Boston GCs, there a pretty good chance of hearing a really good jazz player. One of their two stores is literally across the street from Berklee!

cadillacjack likes this.
  16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

At 12 or 13 I had already owned a technics turntable for about 4 years,
    bought with money I earned from my paper route. It's incredible to me that these kids
    were are so immature and irresponsible. I suppose that what happens when you
    don't give your children any responsibility at an early age, they become irresponsible!

jimdavies111 likes this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wont say i wasnt occasionally naughty as a kid but i dont remember being that destructive. Also there wouldve been repercussions from my parents. Kids these days arent controlled by their parents...theyre not afraid of what they say or do anymore.

Its also down to the store. I wouldnt buy anything on display for that reason. If the store can afford to let this hapoen then good luck to them in sustaining a business. They need to be more proactive in preventing this.

18. action pact

Now now... 'kids these days' are mostly well-behaved and well-mannered. Those kids were just assholes.

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Well; my nephews are, but I've yet to meet any other kids matching that description.

20. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Sweetwater is a terrific online store. I recently bought a new Ernie Ball Stringray bass from them. They inspect, take detailed pics and weigh every instrument that comes through the door. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and the experience. I don't even buy strings at GC any more unless they happen to have the sets I use on sale.

Supposedly, GC is on the verge of bankruptcy and is rumored to owe Fender millions.

21. action pact

You forgot the candy they include with the shipments!

Atmospheric likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.