Turntable distortion

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by reddyempower, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hooked my TT to my new Marantz receiver and it sounded all distorted. Plugged in my iPod to the amps phono input and it played fine. Then plugged my TT into my other system and it played fine there! Any ideas what the problem could be and what else I should be looking at? I'm at my wits end here.

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

What's your turntable & cartridge? What's your other system? It would helpful if you filled out your profile page.

3. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

This often has to do with turntables that do or don't have built-in phono preamps and receivers or integrated amps that do or don't have them. You want your turntable going through one phono stage.

Strat-Mangler and Davey like this.
  4. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

My guess is that you really didn't plug your iPod into the phono input jacks. If you had, it would have sounded very strange.

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I don't see a new Marantz receiver with phono.

6. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

If you have a phono input on your receiver was you turntable grounded properly?

7. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Other system?
    Marantz input?

Whole bunch of info missing here.

Prophetzong likes this.
  8. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Agreed. Can't help much if we don't know model number of receiver and turntable.

9. AGREED; need more info

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

DITTO! Please fill out your profile, then we call all try to help you solve your problem.

11. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Kenner close 'n plays usually do that.

12. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Please join us on the forum by filling in what your gear is in your profile. This is a great help to yourself and the rest of us particularly when you use the forum for help or hardware advice. It also let's the community get to know you a bit better. Cheers

13. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I stopped by to say that I really think you should fill out your profile.

SirMarc and drivingfrog like this.
  14. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

sorry, but you are in a land where profiling is SOP. This thread has the makings of the longest thread with no information!

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Since nobody mentioned it yet, let me suggest you fill out your profile. (;))

But then, for convenience, please post the model numbers here in the thread.

Actually, I would like to see PICTURES of exactly where you connected. If you really input your iPod to a phono connection, it would sound like no bass, too much treble, and unless you had the volume way way down likely overload and distort and possibly damage the phono input.

Rickchick and Bananas&blow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.