Turntable dust cover: Up or Down

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No, but I compare the cover to a condom. Just prevention man.

russk and Mazzy like this.
  2. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Yes I reattach it, the hinges on the dustcover slide into brackets that are attached to the back of the P25.

3. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Turntable on top of cabinet , dust cover open. TT in cabinet, Dust cover is removed during play.

4. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

My Garrard and Thorens were made without dust covers to begin with

Long Live Analog likes this.
  5. russk

russk Forum Resident

RP6 and down. One of the reason I chose an RP6 was the dustcover. Can't hear a difference between down and off. With up the table is more prone to skip

6. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

98% down, 2% off, 0% up

7. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Down during play....always. No audible difference up or down.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  8. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have happily settled into dust cover completely off during play. When I am done with my session I put it back on.

I feel I have noticed a subtle improvement and I also think it looks cooler : )

9. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Exactly the same for me with a modified RP6. I have a bead of soft hollow white 'draft extruder' around the edge of the plinth
    - reduces vibrations from the acrylic cover being transmitted to the arm
    - seals against dust when playing
    - allows the use of a VTA adjuster/raised counterweight without fouling the cover

russk likes this.
  10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Precisely.

11. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Mine doesn't come with a lid. I can (and should) purchase a lid but that's down the track

12. Miha Podlogar

Miha Podlogar Well-Known Member

Cover down, with heavy book on the top !

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

That's a great idea. Totally stealing that this weekend.

14. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Here are pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

russk likes this.
  15. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

Tone is in the dust cover

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yikes I dunno if id want to stick weather stripping on my plinth. To each his own though. Whatever works, right?

17. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

...Problem is, if your dragging home strange (possibly dirty, infected) vinyls, you need the protection on yr stylus! And playing with a "Jimmy protector" on guarantees the music that will be made is of far less (detail) and emotionally satisfying. But putting a cover over the whole event doesn't save ya from anything, man. :)

Happy (Paul's Boutique) Listening!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    The Pinhead likes this.
  18. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I guess unwanted vibration into your deck and sound, could be referred to as "tone".

That's a "tone" I will avoid!

19. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

My dust covers are both lift-off, and they stay off for the entire listening session. Even if I thought it would sound OK to play records with the cover on, I'm not setting a big hunk of plexiglass down near a moving platter and cartridge.

I suppose if I had a hinged dust cover, I might lower it just so that there was absolutely zero chance that it would fall down with a record playing. But when I had one, I typically removed it entirely.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It's always closed since I don't have it hooked up anymore. Whe I did play records the dust cover was off.:cheers:

21. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

How so?

22. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I guess in a clinical environment with no airborne dust, leaving the cover off is bound to minimise vibration and deliver a better sound. As I don't live in a vacuum and couldn't hold my breath long enough if I did, I prefer my vinyl to remain as clean as possible and trade that with a small degredation in sound

23. Rega's achillies heel is resonance. The dustcover acts as a microphone to amplify resonance. In the up position, the effect is reduced. Taken off, it is eliminated.

mcenters likes this.
  24. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

DangerousKitchen, that is true and I found that the hollow seal between the cover and platter helps to minimise (but not eliminate) resonance. I have an RP6, it is playing loudly at the moment and I can feel some vibration on the cover but not the plinth - whatever is there, I hope it is reduced

25. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

The dust cover on my LP12 is not attached to the TT by the hinges provided. I left the hinges in the box and just place the cover over the TT when not in use. When I want to play an LP I just lift off the cover and rest it either on the floor or against the wall beside the TT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.