Turntable: hinges to weak too hold dustcover in place. How to fix this?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FloydVivino, Oct 17, 2021.

1. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Technics TT dustcover hinges ceased to be able to hold the dustcover in its upright position (some 60degrees or so). Is there any solution for this? The hinge doesn't seem to let any access to the spring so that it could be reinforced somehow. Another solution would be for the hinge to allow for an upright position closer to 90 degrees, to the downward pull would be minimum. But none of this seems viable to my eyes.

Any of you with same problem?

I see a few replacement hinges very similar to these, but I fear I would get into the same problem later (if not immediately, as they don't seem to be new).

Any advice most welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave112 likes this.
  2. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Some hinges are adjustable. Certain Pioneer ones have an adjustment screw to tighten the spring. For people looking for better adjustable hinges, that entails buying both the dustcover + plinth mating pieces. Unfortunately, most people who sell hinges only have the dustcover side.

Or look for another dustcover side of the ones you have.

John3655 likes this.
  3. FloydVivino

bump for more views, please

4. FloydVivino

These hinges have no adjustable screw, unfortunately. And also they don't seem to split between plinth and dustcover side pieces. Unless you're suggesting there are hinges out there that are split between this two sides and most people only selling the dustcover side. In any case, buying was sort of plan B. But guess plan A (fixing it) does not seem possible

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not seeing any images. The forum doesn't support image hosting directly so you will have to use a third party hosting service like Imgur, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

What model are we talking about? You may have to measure the dimensions of the hinges and see if they are the same as brand new Tech hinges from a Panasonic parts dealer. Alternatively you could remove the hinges and convert the deck to a set on style dust cover using rubber bumpers. In that case, you would just remove the dust cover completely while playing records.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  6. harby

harby Forum Resident

With a new hinge. Technics part SFATB33N01A - discontinued.

There's used ones on eBay. Another: Technics Turntable SL-B202 Hinge. Tested. Parting Out Entire SL-B202. | eBay

Or for those that listed a hinge or whole cover for sale without knowing that part number: compatible models
    SL-B1, SL-B2, SL-B3 SL-B10, SL-B20, SL-B30, SL-B101, SL-B202, SL-B303, SL-B205, SL-BD1, SL-BD2, SL-BD3, SL-BD10, SL-BD20D, SL-D1, SL-D2, SL-D3, SL-D20, SL-D30, SL-D33, SL-D202, SL-D212, SL-D303, SL-Q202, SL-Q303, SL-210, SL-220, SL-230, SL-3200, SL-3300, SL-5200, SL-5300

One can also drill the flare off the hinge rivet or drive out a press-fit pin, disassemble, unwind and stretch the spring the other way with two sets of pliers until it definitely has bent more. Reassemble, replacing long rivet pin with another or with a bolt & nylon-insert lock nut.

patient_ot and aunitedlemon like this.
  7. FloydVivino

This is a Technics SL D-303. I wasn't aware images were not visible! I can see them and their hosted in Flickr. I'm posting them again from Imgur (after several testes, pasting the "BBCode Link" worked).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your suggestion resulting in removing the dust cover completely while playing is what I end up doing already.

I guess I need to get replacements of some sort.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Pkcpga and patient_ot like this.
  8. FloydVivino

Yep, replacement seems to be the way. Once concern is I have no guarantee that the replacement doesn't suffer from the same problem: relatively weak spring.

9. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

temporarily you might try cutting and folding a small piece of cardstock and sliding it into the hinge area to create some resistance.

The Pinhead, John3655 and FloydVivino like this.
  10. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

I always remove my dust cover when playing music, don’t want any chance of unwanted vibration or causes the table to be slightly not level.

FloydVivino likes this.
  11. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You can use a wood ruler or paint stir stick to prop it open.

timind and FloydVivino like this.
  12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The original mouse trap. ;)
    -Bill

Mick Jones, timind and FloydVivino like this.
  13. FloydVivino

yep, with a bit of cheese at the centre while spinning!

14. thedbp

thedbp Active Member

Found this while searching for a solution for my SL-Q350 with the same issue. After looking at options for new or repaired hinges, I also gave up on that remedy and decided to look into another solution.

I found that if I taped a weight to the back center of the dust cover, it will stay in place at it's upright position. I used my pocket knife to test so now I'm going to find a more permanent and hopefully not ugly solution to get some weight on there. I'll post back with what I wind up doing.

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. dpop

dpop Forum Resident

One of the problems with the Technics SH-10B3 & SH-10B7 bases for SP-10 MKII turntables are the hinges for the dustcovers. After decades of use, they become weak. The hinges *are* adjustable, and after re-tensioning, hold the dustcover up for a few months after re-adjusting, but then they need to be adjusted again and again (in my case). I have two of these turntable bases, and they both suffer from the same problem. I finally got a little tired of it, and this is what I did. I went to Home Depot and purchased a package of bumpers, and attached two back to back. I then position this at the bottom of the dustcover, after opening, and it holds up the dustcover very well (and these dustcovers are fairly heavy). As the dustcover wants to close, it exerts pressure on the bumpers and the base of the turntable, and remains in the upright position. You might try my method with bumpers. Thickness of bumpers is dependent on how much space you have between the dustcover bottom, and your turntable. If I ever learn how to post pictures on this site, I'll show you what I've done.

16. dpop

dpop Forum Resident

17. dpop

dpop Forum Resident

Sorry, Photobucket didn't work for my pictures.

18. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I actually removed the hinges on my 1200GR and just remove the cover when I play records.

19. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

If you have a Technics SL1200/1210 model, I'd recommend a Decksaver cover. Much tougher than the OEM cover. Lots of DJs use them. I'd put my OEM cover away in the box and get these instead. You just lift them off and don't have to worry about scratching your OEM cover. You can also get these on EBay on sale sometimes.

Turntable Covers - Decksaver

...and eBay

Decksaver Technics & Pioneer Turntable Protective Dust Cover 4534217720001 | eBay

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  20. thedbp

thedbp Active Member

OK, I found some scientific weights on Amazon with a fairly low profile. My pocket knife weighed about 82g so I went for a 100g weight. Right now it's just stuck on the back of the dust cover with some packing tape, so it isn't pretty yet, but it works - the added weight keeps it upright.

I thought I was buying only one, but they sent me a 5-pack for around $10. Here's the link:
    Slotted Mass Spare- Stainless Steel, 100g - Eisco Labs Amazon.com

It's a cheap, easy fix. I'm probably going to use Velcro dots to secure it, as I may want or need to change weight in the future. I considered hot glue but I don't want to do anything that can't easily be reversed, just in case by some miracle a fix or replacement for the hinges themselves becomes available.

Hope this helps others in a similar position!

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

22. thedbp

thedbp Active Member

Looks interesting! It doesn't look like it actually replaces the hinge though, just allows re-attaching the dustcover if the hinge tabs are broken off. In my case the assembly is fine, but the hinges have lost tension to the point they can't hold the dustcover up.

I got the 100g weight semi-permanently attached using some of those hook-and-loop art hangers, so I can adjust the position of the weight or change it out, and there's a pull tab on each to remove the fasteners if necessary. It doesn't look bad honestly and the dust cover now reliably stays in the upright position.

Took about 30 seconds to put in place once I decided how to do it, and the price is ridiculously cheap.

Designsfx likes this.
  23. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

Necessity is the mother of invention! If it works and doesn’t keep you running in circles looking for a fix it must be a good thing!

24. harby

harby Forum Resident

You can just get magnets and make a sandwich. Attach at the top of the backside of the dust cover. Big bars will definitely keep it open.

25. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Some things shouldn’t be made of plastic. Defeats the whole purpose.