Turntable - Pioneer vs. Nikko

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beebs, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beebs

Beebs Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have both both a Pioneer PL-2 and a Nikko-500II. Anyone have opinions on these, and how they compare? I'm considering upgrading, so trying to decide which to keep as my backup. Thanks.

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Why not sell both? You could buy a better cartridge or phono stage, if not a better turntable than you have budgeted for, with the extra cash. If you must keep one, then I'd go with the one that was in the best shape. But I would sell both as I prefer to have one system that is the best that it can be rather than hold onto redundant items without sonic benefit.
    -Bill

Beebs likes this.
  3. Beebs

Thanks, Bill. I'm just starting to upgrade my system, so maybe this is the best move (though I would like a second turntable for my office as opposed to my in-house setup). If I do upgrade, here are some possibilities that I've found on Craigslist. Not to overwhelm you, but if you have thoughts on these, I'd be interested. BTW, they're supposedly all in good working condition.

JVC Direct Drive Turntable LF41 - $80
    BSR 710 Turntable with NAD 9200 Cartridge - $115
    Pioneer PL-S30 Auto Return Turntable with Stanton - $75
    Technics SL-Q200 - $140

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I don't see the point. You've already got a vintage, mid-level turntable. Why buy another? What might happen is that you'll start to have problems with the one that you move to. I mean, you could have problems with the ones that you have now later, or with any table for that matter, but you have a known standard now. If you change, you will introduce another variable of reliability which is always a risk. What I was suggesting is that you sell both of the old tables and buy a new table. The two that are always the top recommendations from everywhere are the Rega Planar 1 and the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (or Music Hall MMF-2.3). If you buy a used table, you'll get no warranty and the lot of odd available options will change weekly. Condition is a huge factor with used gear and you inherit whatever the issues are with any used item. If you go new, you'll have support. Also, the used tables that are really upgrades for you (you already have a working used table) are also rather expensive. For instance, a technics SL-1200 Mk2 goes for around $500. I have one of those for sale now myself. I also sell the new tables mentioned and they are no more expensive, and they have warranty. So I suppose what I am trying to get across here is that if I were you, I'd not buy just any other table, but a better table. And a better table is going to be a lot more than what you are looking at now. If that's too much, around the $500 point, then I'd do nothing and continue to use the tables that you have.

One thing that you might do and still use your best table there is to sell one table and buy a better cartridge for the one that you keep. That will improve your sound. I don't even know what cartridges are on there now though, so no way to make any specific suggestions. You can always call me if you'd like to discuss the situation in more detail.
    -Bill

Beebs likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Bill's right, if going vintage, I'd look for a good deal on a turntable that is still well-regarded by audiophiles, not for one of the mass produced econo models that clutter the Craigslist pages. For instance, and this isn't necessarily a recommendation, but if I was looking for a nice daily driver table that has a record of dependability and good sound quality, and is still in use today by many, there's a Kenwood KD-550 up for bid on ebay right now in Florida. Looks to be in very nice condition, might be able to get it for a nice price too, but it's just one of many good tables that are out there (the KD-500 was sold without tonearm, the KD-550 came with Kenwood tonearm) ...

[​IMG]

Kenwood KD-550 "the rock" turntable -with manual and Signet cartridge. excellent | eBay

I like some of the high end direct drive decks from the 70s, in fact I have two Micro Seiki tables, DD-10 and DD-40, both with DC servo-controlled motors and without all the digital quartz lock circuitry, as is this Kenwood, which is what I prefer, keeping the digital circuits out of my analog system. But many people go for the digital quartz lock control circuitry that became so popular on the later tables, which guarantees near perfect speed all the time. If interested, this guy below has a lot of good things to say about this Kenwood series, and covers a lot of details with pictures showing what makes it a nice deck even today, and shows you how to keep it that way into the future ...
    Kenwood KD-500 / KD-550 Direct Drive Turntable Review

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Beebs likes this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Also a very nice looking AR turntable on USAM today with Shure V15VMR cartridge for $450, might be worth making an offer, there's a few folks around here with the same basic table, it's a bit of a classic, new Jico stylus and you might be in high-end heaven ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Beebs likes this.
  7. Beebs

Thanks everyone. Only just saw these replies for some reason. The Kenwood is especially interesting, since I loved my Kenwood KR-6160 receiver (it recently died). Not sure if Kenwood turntables are comparable, but that receiver made my vinyl sound very warm, which I loved. I'm on the hunt for another Kenwood now, though may also get an Advent 300 amp for $150 (used personally by the dealer, who is a friend of a friend). BTW, KT88, I recently replaced the Empire cartridge on my Pioneer PL-2 with an Ortofon. Was told that one's much better. Hope I was informed correctly. Thanks again everyone.

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Build quality aside, if it sounds better, it is better.
    -Bill

Beebs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.