Turntable & Preamp - Upgrade Time (Please help)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AppleCorp3, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've finally decided to go for some upgrades in the next month or so which brings me here for advice.

First (and most importantly), I'd like to upgrade the TT. I'm looking at a Rega P6 and Clear Audio Concept as the two front runners. Both are pretty close in price and have had positive reviews on here. One plus for the Concept is that it has a 78rpm setting, which would allow me to only need one TT - space is a bit of an issue. I'm also not crazy about an external power source that the Rega needs. Open to suggestions in general, though.

Second, I'd like to move to a tube phono preamp. My HK 870 Power Amp is still cranking and is solid state, which I've heard can be a good combo. As far as specs, I'm looking for the following:
    • Flexibility for both MM and MC
    • A "mono button"
    • Multiple curves (not just RIAA) for the 78s
    That said, if someone can recommend a tube preamp unit with a good phono built-in, I'd be completely open to that as well, as I fear my current one is on its way out anyway.

The music I listen to is mostly classic rock. Beatles of course, but lots of Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, and that sort of thing. I also have a lot of folk and some jazz/big band stuff. No classical or hard rock. My current set up is 100% HK and I'd describe the sound as very clear, almost sterile (let's go with neutral). Not a ton of mids, though nice strong bass and nice and detailed -but not piercing - highs. I'd like a bit of warmth back into the sound to balance out some of the cold high end.

Budget is $3K but that's not firm. I'd be willing to splurge a bit for the "right" combo.

Thanks all!

2. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

You may have a tough time with that want list and a 3k budget. The Rogue RP-5 will give you tubes, MM/MC and a mono button. Nope on the multiple curves. It also blows your budget. 3500 and you still dont have your TT.

The external speed controller is actually a good thing, it keeps most of the electronics away from the cartridge. Don't let that keep you from buying the P6. Now, the 78 rpm Rega cant handle.

I'm afraid your preamp want list will is going to be quite expensive. Good luck with the search

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  3. AppleCorp3

Thanks! Any thoughts on the turntables otherwise?

4. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

You'll need to buy a used preamp at your budget. There are plenty of tubed preamps available for about 1500 or so as I have been looking for awhile and finally pulled the plug and bought one.

Your idea that you can play a 78 using a stereo cart is unfounded as you need a 78 cart to play a 78 as the grooves are vastly larger than modern records and modern carts can't be used and since the carts can't be easily swapped what's the point?

To stretch my budget and get great equipment at a price I can afford I buy used equipment from audiogon or USA and never had a problem that has not been taken care of by the seller. I just bought a 10K pre that I bought for 4200 and it's awesome!

5. Mike from NYC

There are plenty of great used TTs at your budget point.

6. AppleCorp3

The Ortofon 2M series has a 78 stylus that can be swapped out with anything in that line. Since it's not a mono cart, the mono button is more important.

Good advice on something used, I'll have to look around in that area as well. Thanks!

7. Care to reveal what you scored?

8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

For your needs, I'd consider the Technics SL-1200GR at around $1600 and the Gold Note PH-10 for around the same price. The Technics has 78RPM and removable headshell so you can keep one with a stereo cartridge and one with a 78 cartridge and one with a mono cartridge (better than a mono switch). The PH-10 has multiple EQ curves and gain/load selections.

Note: I haven't heard either, but there are happy owners of both pieces of gear around here. Looking at pictures online of the PH-10 insides, the build quality does look good, and it has a lot of features for the money. I tend to prefer discrete no feedback stages, but this opamp-based Italian design looks well implemented, with good isolation between the gain section and the microprocessor control section... Gold Note PH-10 | HighFidelity News

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    AppleCorp3 likes this.
  9. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Good call, I forgot about the Gold Note.

10. Mike from NYC

Audio Research Reference 3. The reviews were all great and everyone called it exceptional even against other AR preamps.

I compared it to 2 other preamps I have and it was by far the best in every way and brought my system to another level. The soundstage is huge - not out of proportion but wide. Comparing it to the preamp stage in my Rogue Pharaoh, it brought a wider and deeper stage about 2 feet wider and a few feet deeper and that's with mono recordings which, IMO, are the easiest way to see how well a preamp can flesh out the music. It also brought more body to the music in the upper bass and midrange and between the speakers filled out even more.

It simply blew the preamp in my older Yamaha receiver out of the water - no comparison at all.

The only problem is that the 6550 tube generates a lot of heat.

Sugar Man, morinix and AppleCorp3 like this.
  11. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

The KAB EQS MK12 meets your preamp needs—and goes way beyond them. The KAB site says it is temporarily unavailable, but the last time it showed a published price, I believe it was $1,650. If interested, perhaps you could find a used one somewhere or a dealer who might have one.
    -Bob

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I would get a new Rega 6 and go used for the amp.

13. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The OP wants tubes, thats what it makes it tricky.

14. AppleCorp3

Yeah, I'm realizing that now. I'm pretty sure I can get what I want as a solid state and within my budget.

I guess I'm okay with that unless a good deal (or used) tube one came along.

15. Mike from NYC

16. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I was on the fence on the Clear Audio and ended up with a VPI Prime Scout, brand new, for $1500. And then a week later on an impulse buy picked up a McIntosh MP100 phono preamp for $1300 from Audio Classics, but it's not tubed. Jolida makes a nice tube preamp for around $700 for the upgraded model or modded model.

17. AppleCorp3

18. Mike from NYC

They are all available - no need to worry and the tubes can last a very long time in preamps. ARC always made great equipment and you can't go wrong!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.