Turntable Purchase Help 1000-2000 price range

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matthew Chavez, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Chavez

Matthew Chavez Active Member Thread Starter

Hey Everyone!
    Long time reader, first time poster. Looking to purchase a new turntable in the 1000-2000 price range. I'm currently looking at the following:
    -Technics 1200gr
    -Eat B-Sharp Turntable
    -Rega Planar 3
    -Clearaudio Concept

The EAT and the Technics don't have a lot of info on them since they are so new. Any advice or personal experience on the above would be appreciated. The rest of my audio chain consists of: Goldenear Triton One Speakers, Hegel h160 integrated amp, and Schiit phono preamp. Currently running an older Technics 1200 but I've been experiencing tonearm issues, hence why I'm looking to upgrade.

Thanks!
    -Matt

4xoddic likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

There's a couple threads here about the new Oracle Origine, another nice one at the top of that range. Depends a lot on where you live, and what you have access to audition (looks like you are pretty well set there), and style, and a bunch of factors we don't know about you. And there will be a few people that will always tell you to buy an old refurbished Thorens. And some will tell you to look at the George Merrill table. Some like the old Mitchell TecnoDec. Some nice VPI deals around on demos and mildly used tables. Really competitive section of the market now, some nice tables in that price range. Even gets into Acoustic Signature entry level, and they make some very nice tables. I like what EAT is doing, much moreso that her husband's Pro-Ject offerings.

wgb113 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  3. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Grab the B-Stock VPI Scout 1.1 available at a popular online dealer for $1599 and spend the other $400 on a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS while they are still available for $399.

I have no experience with the new 1200GR or Eat B-Sharp Turntable but based on your speakers, I would not want the Rega or CA. I'd want a heavier mass loaded table, that and the Scout is really hard to beat without spending boat loads of money. I've spent the boat loads, and can say the Scout provided the best price/performance ration in my system.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd buy the new Technics. Fremer did a review. I think a couple forum members here have them as well.

BTW, you can have the tonearm replaced on your old Technics, either with a stock arm or something else entirely. Lots of options out there.

McLover and bru87tr like this.
  5. Davey

I don't think Fremer has reviewed it or anyone has it yet, he's talking about the new 1200GR.

Aftermath, wgb113 and patient_ot like this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Aftermath likes this.
  7. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

You should seriously consider VPI. This is the TT you want: VPI Scout 2017 Turntable . Call Seth at SSD and see what kind of deal he can give you on the table and a cartridge. Tell you are a member here and use my name (not sure what it will get you but I buy a lot of stuff from SSD).

Spsesq likes this.
  8. Tony Plachy

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yes it is. The newer GR model is supposed to cost half that.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  10. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

It is. Which means I'm just as puzzled as you that ppl are recommending it (??), when the OP is looking for a 'table in the $1-2K range.

Cool. That makes a lot more sense than the G, from the OP's point of view.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  11. Davey

Right, around $1600 based on what I've seen.

Right, the OP has the GR on his list, that's why we mentioned it.

wgb113 and patient_ot like this.
  12. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

But, no in-depth reviews of it yet, right? Just of the $4K table?

13. Davey

I don't really know since I'm not in the market, but I'm pretty sure none have shipped yet. I remember someone around here said they put in their order, though. There have been show reports, and Technics has published the specs. Personally, I wish they would get rid of the slider and the strobe and platter dots and all that old 1200 stuff, and just offer a nice and clean looking audiophile deck. Maybe a walnut lower plinth, that would look nice.

Gumboo and Benzion like this.
  14. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

15. Tony Plachy

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just ordered a B stock Scout from SSD that someone recommended up thread. Not sure what B stock is but I assume it doesn't effect performance? Appreciate all the comments about that table here!

dolsey01 likes this.
  17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The 1200GR is shipping in June in the US at a street price of $1,600. I had a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for about 4 years that was all tricked out: speed box, acrylic platter, 2M Blue.

I was in the same market and considered many of the same tables. I grabbed a Clearaudio Concept Wood w/ MM. it was a noticeable step up but the cart was the weak spot. Seems the MC is the way to go on that table but it's more than I wanted to spend.

I returned it and ordered a 1200GR with Ortofon 2M Bronze and grabbed a 2M Mono as well - all for $2100. I like the build/durability and the ease with which I can go from cart to cart. They've improved upon many of the gripes people had about the original 1200 so I'm anticipating this will give 90% of the performance that the 1200G delivers. Now just awaiting delivery. I

4xoddic, H8SLKC and Gabe Walters like this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just got an MC cart for my Technics and it was a step down from the MM MLX150. I don't know if it was the table or the cart (EV33...very shrill sounding and I can't turn it up very much without hurting my ears so I put the MLX back on). I am wondering if the Scout will handle the cart better.

19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The 2M line should match the new Technics well since that's what they often demo them with at shows.

I was referring to Clearaudio's MC cart for the Concept Wood turntable - seems like that combo is a stunner - but at over $3K it was well more than I wanted to spend on an analog front end. I'd already dumped more money into my phono preamp which also serves as my ADC for needledrops. Moved from a Pro-Ject PhonoBox V USB to a PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter. It handles a wider range of carts and is even more flexible than the Pro-Ject.

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

21. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I got a B stock and the only difference is black feet instead if silver. And $600 off! The reviews for this are amazing. Sounds hard to beat for $1600. Upgrading from the Technics 1200.

23. Matthew Chavez

Matthew Chavez Active Member Thread Starter

Hey Guys!
    Thanks everyone for the advice, super appreciated on my end, lots of useful info.

Unfortunately everything has to pass the girlfriend test regarding looks, so VPI is out of the question. She hates the way they look.

I put in a deposit for a technics 1200gr. Its refundable if I change my mind. I'm a bit nostalgic having owned a 1200 for a long time so that might be what's also pushing me in that direction. Also the GF loves the way it looks. I'll probably pair it with a Ortofon 2m Bronze.

The Clearaudio is another one we are considering, trying to find a place in LA that carries them on display so I can see in person. Same goes for the EAT table, would love to see in person but just too new and not a big enough name for most vendors to carry. Even in the greater LA area.

There are so many options in this price range it's a bit daunting, hence why I posted.

Again thx for all the info, love these boards!

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  24. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The Clearaudio Concept Wood was nicer in person than I expected it to be. The whole package seemed very solid and well built. It sucked having to pay $200 for a cover though that was non-returnable - I took a hit on that one. The Concept MC cartridge is supposed to take that table to the next level but you're pushing well north of $3K at that point.

I can't wait for the 1200GR to arrive. I'm hoping to catch one on my dealer's first allocation, if not it might be backordered to the end of June. The new vinyl continues to pile up in the meantime...

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

She didn't like the looks of the Marantz either?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.