Turntable Purchase Help 1000-2000 price range

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matthew Chavez, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Dude, I am going to be very blunt. Along with a new TT you need a new girl friend. Who cares how a TT looks, it sits on a shelf, not in the middle of the room. Buying a TT for looks is a waste of money. I hope you can take this in the spirit it was given, I am trying to help you.

2. Tony Plachy

I expect you are going to be blown away. Be sure you a sitting firmly on a strong seat when you start to play it. :righton:

3. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

4. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

I've read good things about the Well Tempered Simplex. I've heard their other models and they're very very good. They do think a little outside the box though. Good luck with your search!

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sure appreciate your enthusiastic opinion! Im excited to try it out.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A real beauty imo. I was considering that a couple years ago but didn't think it would necessarily be a move up from the Technics. Guess I'm glad I waited until I felt okay spending more money on the Scout. I hope it's a lot better, but no denying the Marantz is gorgeous.

7. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

What's wrong with the tonearm?

8. Tony Plachy

Which tonearm are we talking about???

9. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

OP said in the original post "Currently running an older Technics 1200 but I've been experiencing tonearm issues"

If the SL-1200 is in nice shape a tonearm fix or replace would seem to make sense to me.

patient_ot and Benzion like this.
  10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I second that. Buy a Jelco 750D for $600 or thereabouts, and your 1200 will give you enjoyable performance for another 20 years. Or, a new stock tonearm is only $149, Kevin at KAB USA will do the work for you, 1200's are his specialty, and he stocks the parts. I would suggest you get a better phono. Someone here suggested the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS - it's a great deal for $399. Lounge Audio phono is also very good, for only $300.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Benzion

New GR will retail for $1,699, coming from Technics themselves at Axpona.

patient_ot and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  12. Benzion

AT33EV take some time to break in, after which they should sound great. Ask @chervokas, he's got one, and he is the house expert on all things technical here.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Benzion

14. Benzion

Sell your old 1200 then, you should be able to get $300-400 for it, even with a wobbly arm.

15. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Yah, the initially confusing thing was that ppl were saying "get this" and pointing to a review of the $4K 'table.

Hopefully, the $1700 'table sounds a lot like the $4k one.

16. Benzion

I have a firm habit of not allowing my women to have ANY opinions on my cars, motorcycles, and audio gear. Decisions are hard as they are, there's no need to increase the pain geometrically by letting women in on the process...

And that includes mother, daughter, and an occasional girlfriend...

17. Benzion

What I hope is that it sounds better than the 1200 we all know and like.

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

FWIW, I did reply to @Jrr 's other thread. But I'd just like to say I am HARDLY the tech guru here. Not only is our host an audio engineer, but we have a lot of really knowledgeable folks on this board with real education and experience in audio engineering, circuit design and repair, and mechanical engineering, etc.... I'm not one of them....but there are a lot of folk here who really CAN teach one something when it comes to technical questions, I defer to them.

Jrr likes this.
  19. Benzion

Your replies have been good enough for me, so far. More technical than that - and I'd be adrift, lost.

20. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I won't give you turntable advice but if you don't mind I will give you some advice anyway. Considering the factors that you have GF approval to contend with and practically the entire universe of turntables at your disposal in Los Angeles, you would be FAR better served by spending a few weekends looking at and listening to tables in your price range rather than wading through all of this mostly biased advice or MANY times people give opinions on things they've never actually heard. Use your ears, and apparently your GF's eyes. That's my 2 cents.

Opeth, Bubbamike, eyeCalypso and 3 others like this.
  21. Benzion

As long as we're talking here - I have a Zu Denon 103 that I'm planning to install on a 1200. Seeing how AT33EV might be shrill, anyone has any advise for/against the 1200/Denon pairing?

22. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Not sure what this has to do with the OP's original post, but why don't you just try it and hear for yourself?

23. Benzion

OP has informed us already that he's getting the new 1200GR, at which point, the original rationale for this thread is finished. While the thread is still alive and breathing, I thought I'd ask a question. Should I have asked for your permission first?

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The At 33EV is not shrill and is a better match than a 103 which requires extra weight added to the head shell. I would say go for the AT.

25. Benzion

I can always get a heavier headshell, no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.