Turntable question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rxonmymind, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok so in looking at various turntables I'm liking WAY to many. Empire, Denon 300, Elac, Thorens etc. and what I've learned along the way had me more than a bit hesitant to purchase one.
    Everything from speed issues, rumble (not sure what that means), platter issues, tone arm slop etc. Some of these on new moderns ones. Anyway to really buy one without issues?

Ideally I'd like a table that is automatic so my kids can throw a record on it and just press play and once done it'll return to it's place. Plug & play out if the box.
    Also I'd like to know if there are any turntables that automatically "shut off" after being idle for a period of time? Any such thing as a smart turntable?
    Again, it's for simplicity.
    Budget around $500? Is that reasonable?

Thanks again.

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

For an auto table, best to go the vintage route. Check your local stereo shop or music store, they should have some sort of a warranty, even if it's just a 30 day thing.

Helom, rxonmymind and The FRiNgE like this.
  4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Thorens TD115,
    Its a superb sounding turntable
    Often overlooked by its sub sprung bretherin,
    It is mainly manual except it has
    Auto lift off at the end of play.snd it shuts down .

Helom, rxonmymind and The FRiNgE like this.
  5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The fully automatic turntables would be vintage only, such as Dual and Garrard. These turntables contain complex mechanisms, require a tech highly proficient in mechanics and who are experienced in the restoration of them. (fewer of us around nowadays) You could consider purchasing a Dual 100o or 2000 series (1215, 1218, etc) or for higher cost a 1229 from "Fix my Dual". I also restore them, but do not have anything ready at this time.

My suggestion is for a more robust and simpler direct drive model from Technics, Pioneer, Sony, etc (Hitachi known for low end produced a few nice direct drives) The direct drive is maintenance free, have auto return, and a cue lever, auto start by moving the arm from rest. Teach your children how to use the cue lever, and how to handle a record, and you should be set for musical fun times.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:doh:

The vintage good ones you mean ? Absolutely. I own one. But this one's fully auto and not too shabby :

Amazon.com: Denon DP-300F Fully Automatic Analog Turntable: Home Audio & Theater

Kids around a TT of any kind, a recipe for disaster:(

The FRiNgE and H8SLKC like this.
  7. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Accidents can happen. And probably will. But if he manages to get his kids interested in music early and is able to share that passion with them as they grow up, that is priceless. I wouldn't encourage kids to use a very expensive esoteric turntable, but the kind he is shopping for is perfect. If something goes wrong, it is a learning experience, and you look for a new one. (I'd be more concerned about my vinyl than the turntable, to be honest)

rxonmymind likes this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Look for a vintage Japanese built direct drive tt, preferably one built before the cd craze took off and the major companies dropped the quality of their turntables. I have a Pioneer PL7 direct drive built in 1981. Smooth, quiet, checks all the boxes you mentioned and with a decent cartridge, sounds wonderful. I'm thinking this thing will still be turning well after I stop.

As for kids around a turntable, a lot of us grew up with turntables in our living rooms. Just teach your kids proper handling techniques and hope for the best.

rxonmymind likes this.
  9. Northa40

Northa40 Well-Known Member

You could do a lot worse than this, and with kids, it's pretty user friendly. good luck on your quest.
    The Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB Turntable Shames the Plastic Competition

rxonmymind likes this.
  10. rxonmymind

You are correct.
    My daughter is nine and is very respectful of my current system so I have no worries. I've waited to this age to introduce her to vinyl as I believe she is ready.

The FRiNgE, Tim Irvine and IanL like this.
  11. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I have been thinking about this lately and I'm surprised, with all the renewed interest in records, that no one has stepped up to the challenge of building a high end, fully automatic turntable. It seems like a lot of the problems of the past could be eliminated by using tiny servo motors and photo sensors to eliminate all the complicated mechanisms in older tables. There have been great strides in motor design since the 80's when auto turntables fell out of favor.
    It was nice to just place a record on the platter, close the dust cover and hit play. Then at the end, no need to suddenly jump up and run to the turntable at the end of a side, it's all handled for you. Extra nice on those nights when you fall asleep during a side.

rxonmymind likes this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

I had a vintage Pioneer PL55x a few years ago. It's direct drive with automatic return. It was a very nice sounding deck. When I received it, the auto-return wasn't working, but it was a simple fix and worked reliably thereafter.

Another good deck is an MCS 6700. I picked up one of these for my sister for $100. It allows for simple adjustment of the auto return and start points. It's also direct drive. She loves it and it's been very reliable. I did have to use thick headshell spacers for the cart because the platter was originally designed to allow a stack of LPs, and tonearm height was not adjustable.

As for new, some people like the Denon DP300f. I only mentioned the Marantz because it's one other option that I stumbled across last night. I didn't realize they offered an inexpensive full-auto, though it would probably be my last choice.

13. rxonmymind

Isn'tthat the truth!
    Ok so here I'm "looking out" for the "kids" but maybe *cough* there is something of a mid afternoon nap that MAY be in play here. :ozzzz

Helom likes this.
  14. rxonmymind

Anyone know or live in AZ? I think I found one.

15. rxonmymind

Never mind. Gone. Me and my big mouth. A Benjamin Miracord 625 ELAC mint. $75.
    I especially liked the auto feature and the option of manual. Dang. Dang. Dang.

16. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

When my daughter was that age she handled the Thorens 125 just fine. It did have that little after market thing to pick up the arm at the end of the side.

17. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of choices in Sacramento, but Deetes' Sound Room in Carmichael has been around for years and is a vinyl lover. I believe in supporting B&M retailers, especially when it comes to supporting you after the sale...

While he may not have a new turntable in your price range in stock, he often has some used turntables and can probably order a new one if you want. Even if he doesn't he's a worthwhile resource in the area so you don't have to travel to the Bay Area...

rxonmymind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.