Turntable rotating too slowly

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by brstp, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brstp

brstp Active Member Thread Starter

I picked up a Fisher MT-6115 at a yard sale, had been enjoying it for a few days until playing a record I knew well and realized it's not rotating fast enough on 33 1/3 RPM. Is there some kind of tweak I can do to fix this?

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I think that model is a belt drive. Check the belt - it should be snug around the platter drum when it's taken off the motor capstan. If it falls off, it's no good.

3. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Yes, if the belt is loose, could run slow.. If direct drive, read on...

Some direct drive models get corroded and dirty in the variable pots and 33/45 switches where the speed frequency signal runs through. Clean those with solvent and often the speed improves and steady's up again.. I have done this on dozens of tt's.. Rolf.

I carry most sizes of TT belts.. Sell 'em new for $9.00 delivered to USA. Write me.

Attached Files:

4. Bahax

Bahax New Member

I have a Technics FGServo SL-BD22 that has had dodgy pitch for awhile now, the belt is easily 15 years old.
    Pitch has a hard time staying constant, but eventually it will settle into something (near the end of a side!).
    Do I need a new belt, or could it be dirty pots?
    Rolf, do you have a belt for this model?
    Thanks,
    Toby

5. Bahax

Bahax New Member

Heh heh. I figured as much.
    Clearly it's not my forte.

6. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Yes, I have that belt for your SL-BD22 which my selection table says is a 23.6" belt. Can you measure the curcumference??? It will probably measure now as bigger due to streching, perhaps 24.3" +?? If you want one, send $9.00 cash or check, or $17.50 for two belts, to:

Rolf Erickson
    #15, on Fifteenth St. Suite 9
    Hermosa Beach, CA. 90254

Please include a note saying what you need "Belt 23.6 inch" AND a return addressed label (could just be hand-drawn on paper) so I can accurately send it back to you. This saves much time for me, and wrongly targeted items.. That should do it..

Also, you may well have corroded speed adjustment pots and ON-OFF and/or speed select switches on the unit.. obtain some solution cleaner, I use Naphtha solvent for this.. remove the knobs and "drip" some solution into the joint of the shafts, then "work" the shafts back and forth lock-to-lock about 100 to 200 times rapidly.. This usually, at minimum, improves and often makes the speed and reliability as it was when new.. Somtimes you need to readjust the "course" speed settings, because the better conductivity now allows the signal to be stronger than before and often you find the speed is higher than previously when the contacts were corroded or dirty... If this fails to help, you may need to take stronger measures, DISSASSEMBLY OF THE TURNTABLE TO OBTAIN DIRECT ACCESS TO THE POTS AND SWITCHES.... Hope this helps.. Rolf Erickson.

Attached Files:

7. brstp

brstp Active Member Thread Starter

I have no idea what any of the terminology you guys are using means, but I'll root around.

8. Bahax

Bahax New Member

List the words, and we can explain. (well, maybe the others better than me)
    After all, it's your thread.
    I don't wanna hijack. :righton:

9. Bahax

Bahax New Member

Hey Rolf, it looks like to get at these will require disassembly, no?
    At least for the wheel

pitch.jpg

10. Bahax

Bahax New Member

Just squirt in the cracks, and move back and forth many times?

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That won't work. You have to get the spray inside the pots, which are like cylinders, so take off the bottom cover, and spray inside the slots of the pots. Then manipulate the controls before the fluid evaporates.

Lownote30 likes this.
  12. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

If you place a small lever (your fingernails???) under the speed switch knob, and carefully work it straignt up, it will pop off and you can get cleaner/solvent into the switch easily, and the rotary knob you just drip or as other's said "spray" cleaner into it. It will work it's way when you toggel them to and fro many times, into the working conductive parts and clean them.. Then it evaporates... And just push the switch knob back down on the shaft and it will stay there. Hope this helps.. if not an improvement, you will need to disassemble...Rolf E.

13. Bahax

Bahax New Member

Thanks, I'll try that.

My belt is approx. 24.5" now, and man does it fall right off the platter ...

14. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

That is exactly the expanded size as I expected... Typical old "Stretched" belt. You need a 23.6" new belt... I have those in stock. And the new one will usually hold right on the the platter drive rim and won't move or "fall off"... Rolf Erickson.

15. Bahax

Bahax New Member

Thanks.
    I'll be mailing shortly.
    Toby

16. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

OK.

Roger that...

17. iansen909

iansen909 New Member

Hey! I got a vintage soviet Vega 109 Stereo belt driven turntable that has an issue... the belt works fine and the first 6,7 minutes... it plays well... but then it constantly loses speed and the sound comes out very mumbly. As I said i think the belt is fine and the engine could be fine aswell... but i have no idea why isn't it working. thanks.

18. SeanSchmitz

SeanSchmitz New Member

Rolf,
    I've got TT issues also.... I currently have a Technics SL-BD10 and a Realistic LAB-340 TT. Do you have a belt and stylus for each?
    If so, could you please send me a total amount for this and I will send it to your address in this thread. Thanks much, Sean Schmitz (new member)

19. SeanSchmitz

SeanSchmitz New Member

I'm trying to contact Rolf Erickson..... need some belts and needles for a couple TTs. Rolf, if you see this please respond.
    Thanks, Sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.