Turntable setup tools - what have you tried?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael Renwick, Apr 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/ Thread Starter

Curious to know what setup tools people have tried?

I have the VPI tool and other mirror style tool, can't remember the brand.

I was wondering if the Dr. Feickert tool is worth it?

Gibsonian and WapatoWolf like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

VPI tool? What are you talking about, here?

Are you trying to say "protractor"?

3. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I have used the Analogue Studio protractor (it is mirrored). Works well.

I am pretty much set as far as my turntable/arm is concerned, so I might invest in a Mint LP protractor at some point.

4. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

I've used a few different alignment gauges over the years including:

Rega's own one for their tonearms, which I found effective but only used it with one of their 3 point mounting cartridges so wasn't much of a test for it, the 3 point cartridge mount meaning that there wasn't much to align;

a freebie print out one from the internet which is a two point protractor using Loefgren A alignment, and is excellent but which requires careful use of the sight line to the tonearm pivot in order to obtain accuracy. I found the best way to do this was to tape a length of thread along the sight line on the card and have it extend beyond it too, so you could pull it taught over the pivot point;

the supplied card one on an SME V tonearm, which, much like the arm itself, was straightforward to use and an accurate tool;

a SMARTractor. For me it is the best of the bunch, though very pricey at full RRP (I got mine s/hand). The mirrored grid allows easy viewing of the underside of the cartridge whilst it sits at the chosen alignment point, so you can align the cantilever easily too, and the magnifyer adds to the ease of use. Took me only a few minutes to get a cartridge accurately set up rather than fiddling for ages and still not being certain I had it done correctly.

5. Echo's Answer

Echo's Answer Forum Resident

Dr. Feickert tool, i have a friend with one that I've borrowed many times. It's really great.

6. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Same here, I've always got great results with mine.

Michael Renwick likes this.
  7. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

I tried a generic mirrored alignment protractor, but never really liked it. I didn't find the mirrored surface very helpful.

A printed arc protractor is much easier for me to see and use. With a free tool like Conrad Hoffman's arc template generator, you can create an arc protractor specifically for your tonearm's specs. The key is making sure your printer is printing the correct scale. Don't assume. Measure it to be sure. Without some manual print scale adjustment, it is most likely not printing correctly. I like to print mine out on heavyweight matte photo paper.

If I swapped out carts more often, I would invest in a Dr. Feickert tool. For now, the printed arc protractor is working well.

I also use a Hudson Hi-Fi VTA/Azimuth alignment block. It's just a clear block with an alignment grid printed on it. Nothing fancy, but it does confirm for me that my tonearm is level and that cartridge azimuth is as close as I can get it.

One other "tool" that has kind of become indispensable is a clip-on jeweler's loupe from Harbor Freight. Probably the best $5 I've spent on something turntable related. 16.5X Jeweler's Clip-On Eye Loupe Very useful for aligning carts, checking for gunk on the stylus, or reading those tiny etchings in the runout groove so you can make sure you're logging the right pressing in your collection within the Discogs app. :)

ubiknik likes this.
  8. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Technics and Pioneer overhang gauges and a set of quality precision screwdrivers.

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  9. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

I am also curious about Dr. Feickert and Mint protractors.

10. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

Dr. Feickert for me, makes things really simple. The only problem is I just don't see as well as I used to.

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I've gotten by with a Dennesen Soundtraktor and a Shure VTF gauge.

12. twelvealo

twelvealo Forum Resident

I just used a mofi geo disc on vm560 ml on my pioneer pl-560. So far the results are great

13. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

CartAlign (been using it for 40+ years)

Digital scale

Fozgometer

USB Microscope

Dats3 for measuring cables and everything else.

14. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I've used different bubble levels to establish the correct plane for the platter. A round bull's eye spirit level works, but I think a bi-directional T type level is much easier to use.

For protractor's, I initially used a MoFi Geodisc. It's fine, but it's not the easiest thing to tell if it's set properly. When I bought my first Rega, I picked up a Wally Tractor. I haven't looked back. The mirrored surface and the precise arc makes it extremely easy to ensure your overhang is set properly. After overhang is set, it's really easy to set the alignment and verify you haven't changed the overhang. You do need a lot of light, a good jeweler's loupe and a few cotton balls to keep the platter from moving. I found it much easier to use than Geodisc. It's particularly useful with higher end stylus profile tips like MicroLine where you really have to be dead on.

As far as scales go, I've only used a Shure SFG-2. It was cheap when I bought it years ago. Today there a very cheap digital options, but, I've never seen the point in getting one. I only use it to set my initial setting, so precision isn't that important. It's not like I set the cartridge to 1.75 g and then I'm done. I set it as a baseline. Then I tweak it by ear. The nice thing about the SFG-2 is that it never runs out batteries.

For anti-skate, I have a bunch of test records to with mono tones to center the image. But in the end, I play music then make final adjustments based on any improvements with the sound stage.

15. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

I found the Feickert tool made installation of a new arm and cartridge very satisfying indeed.

16. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/ Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

For those of you using the Feickert tool, what is the purpose of the arm that rest on the top of the tonearm assembly?
    I read the directions and I see it it not mentioned in the procedures? Its this just to make sure the arm is level?

Thanks

17. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

To ensure you have correct pivot to spindle distance.
    Thats the baseline measurement for correct arm installation and then ultimately cart setup.

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Dr. Feickert is good with some tonearms. You must be able to center over the pivot. If you are guessing at that, well...

I have a Rega arm with a non-standard pivot to spindle length. I make my own protractors and set the inside and outside dimensions as I like. I can control the width of the lines in the protractor, which adds accuracy. I have a printer that will do one-shot digital printing on card stock, which is very precise. The only issue there is being very careful cutting out the center hole.

irender likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

when i had my vpi the alignment template that it came with gave me the best sound, it lined up with the tonearm pivot automatically. the feickert tool although interesting opens up some amount of error because you have to visually align it to the tonearm pivot.
    have you used the one with the mirror? see if is the mint best tractor. if so, try it. it gave me the best sound on my technics table and improved on the stock gauge. if not then i recommend it.

20. irender

irender Forum Resident

I have a Systemdek IIX turntable with a tonearm that has no markings for the pivot on top. I have used a Feickert in the past and calculated the best I could where the pivot was. Last weekend I used the protractor in the HiFi News setup LP. I used Blu Tack to secure a laser line level to the protrator and sighted it down the line to be pointed at the pivot. I am able to see the pivot (hole where the tonearm wires pass through) under the arm. I was able to sight the line to the center of the hole. I made adjustments to the alignment and there is a noticeable difference. Any sibilance I had is gone and better sound all around. I checked the alignment with a Geodisc and a few assorted two point protractors and they all line up perfectly. Sorry to be so long winded agreeing with your comment, but I figured it could help someone with a similar situation.

21. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

My old Rega arm drops into a hole. I can remove the arm and platter, site a straight line, then physically measure outside spindle to outside pivot hole, then inside spindle (bearing cup) to inside pivot hole. Add those and divide by two. My confirmation was that it corresponds to Baerwald figures to the half millimeter, which I'm certain is what the table designer referred to in regards to the design.

irender likes this.
  22. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

You guys want a Jelco 750 series arm; the p2s measurement is so simple with a recess in the top of the pivot point.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Dr. Feickert protractor and the KAB strobe disc are absolutely essential for any kind of analogue set up.

24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Just about any protractor you need is over at Vinyl Engine in the tools section. All free of charge! My favorite is the Hoffman protractor though, which is a pinned post in the cartridge forum. My new alignment template generator- Vinyl Engine
    You need to know the specs of your turntable.

25. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

Love my Dr. Feickert!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.