Turntable shelves - how did you do ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gekados, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gekados

gekados Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

Looking for inspiration from other people who has made DIY turntable shelves.
    So no interest in commercial products, as I suspect this is a very very high margin area of the hifi 'hardware', and one, where good results can be achieved quite easily by rolling up the sleeves a bit.

My criterias for the project was :
    Adjustable shelf
    De-coupled shelf
    Decent look

In that order.

My plan was to put the shelf on another wall-mounted shelf (where adjustability was not an option).
    For adjustability, then I first tried 3 legs (seemed natual as my TT has 3 legs), but found out that 4 was working better. The MDF wall-mount turned out to be rather 'bendy', so 3 legs just didn't work right.

The legs are bought at the local hardware store (bauhaus in Sweden), I think they're made for tables, but are readily available to purchase.
    First I chose long ones and drilled right through the shelf, with the idea of being able to tighten the shelf from the top as well.
    This was scrapped in V2, where shorter legs are now resting inside the shelf (only drilled 3/4 though the shelf).
    They can be adjusted from below individually. And top plate looks clean.

An idea to decouple them came to me, from Gert Pedersens Armboard mod to the Gyrodec, where the bolt is covered by plastic tube, and resting on rubber material.
    So a big spacer went on top of the bolt, and a larger 0-ring is resting on that. So the shelf itself is resting on 4 o-rings.
    The part of the bolt inside the shelf, is covered with smaller o-rings (tight fit over the M10 standard bolt), so internally there is no chance the screw will touch the shelf either.

For looks, as the first V2 design, I went with decent solid pine 80cm*40cm*2,8cm. Wanted oak, but it might be too heavy for the wall-mount. That can definately be improved.

Very happy with the result. All in all, it went for about 50$, and that includes an extra pine shelf, to replace the MDF on the wall-mount.

If anyone else has build their own, then please share experiences, I would love to tinker with this some more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33na3rd and octaneTom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.