Turntable suggestions/advice to go with my Exposure 2010S2D Integrated Amplifier.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richierichie, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full. Thread Starter

Hi, Hoffmanites, I need some advise. I`m buying a new amp, the Exposure 2010S2D Integrated Amplifier.

I need some suggestions for a turntable pairing with this amp. I have up to £1,200/$1,500 to spend. I am very happy with my speakers, Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3s.

I have in mind the Project 2-Xperience SB DC Turntable (£1,095/$1,390) but this model of which I`ve read great feedback and also heard on a friend`s set-up, is being discontinued. The Dealer I`m buying the amp from has a display model which he`s agreed to sell me for £830/$1,055. Should I go ahead with this deal or........

Over to you guys but please bear in mind I`m UK based so some US made TTs are not available to me.

Thanks Richie.

2. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I have the older version of that Exposure amp in my 'office' (actually the dining room but it's where I work on days when I'm working from home) system (2010S2 without the 'D'). I use it with a Project Classic Turntable (not the super pack one - just the standard which I got for £799 shortly after launch) through a Heed Questar MM Phono stage, into some older Ruark Prelude floorstanders and it's a nice sounding combo to my ears.

Are you getting the separate Phono board added into the Exposure (doesn't come as standard as I recall) or running a separate phono stage?

If the dealer you're buying the amp from has a display model turntable then can't you take your speakers in and have a listen (assuming you can't demo at home)? Can't beat what your own ears tell you, whatever the rest of us might say. But that Project TT gets decent enough reviews everywhere for it to be a reliable enough choice I would have thought.

richierichie likes this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'd take look at the newer models. Do they have the new models in? What is the status on them getting them in? Can it be expected that there will be some overlap to be able to audition the older models with their replacements?

richierichie likes this.
  4. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

If you go and listen to the Pro-Ject, make sure to listen for speed stability performance. Records with lots of sustained piano chords/notes are great for testing this.

richierichie likes this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Since you are in the UK, there must be a Rega model (plus appropriate cartridge) that fits your budget?

richierichie likes this.
  6. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Exposure? I'd look at Rega or Michell: RP6 is a bit under yer money, RP8 a bit over; Tecnodec offers a choice of arms, but I've heard various Michells work well with Rega arms.

However, that deal on the Pro-ject is a good one and very much doubt you'll be disappoited.

richierichie likes this.
  7. richierichie

Thanks people.

Hi @Squiggsy68, I`ve asked the dealer to fit the seperate phono board. I`ve never used a pre-amp before all my previous amps have had phono boards included however the dealer has yet to fit the phono board, so I`m open to suggestions. I will take your advise and take my AE speakers in when I go to audition the amp and TT.

Thanks @vinylontubes, the new model isn`t out yet but apparently it`s imminent. I hope to have time to compare the Project 2-Xperience with the new equivalent Project model. I`m only buying the amp and TT at the beginning of September when I`ll have funds in place. I`m going to sell my Rega Brio and Audio Technica AT-LP5 TT.

Thanks for the tip @G B Kuipers, I will make a note of that.

Hi @Black Elk, so far it has been a toss up between a Rega TT and the Project. However having heard the Project at my mate`s I`m leaning towards that along with the deal with the dealer. But there`s nothing stopping me auditioning more than one TT.

Thanks @Blank Frank, good tips. I have yet to look at any Mitchell TTs but will do.

Plenty of good advice all of which I will take into consideration, cheers Richie.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Squiggsy68 likes this.
  8. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

The phono board for the Exposure is a good one - I used the 3010 for a few years and it's consistently well reviewed, including by folk I have good reason to regard as sensible) - and would keep the box count down.

Otherwise, Graham Slee offers pretty good value for money (yes, I currently use a Slee).

richierichie likes this.
  9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

You should be able to get a nearly new Rega RP6/Ania/Neo combo for that price, or maybe a new RP6/Exact if your phono stage is MM rather than MC.

richierichie likes this.
  10. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I think the Marantz TT-15S1 is worth a look. They can be found for right at $1500 and sound absolutely stunning.

richierichie likes this.
  11. richierichie

12. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Have those exact same floor standing speakers. They're powered by my Marantz PM 6005 which is connected to my Rega RP1. I love them as well although they do lose a bit of detail at lower volumes. Don't see them brought up that often.

richierichie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.