Turntable USB ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by J_D__, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member Thread Starter

It's been almost 25 years since I've used a turntable.

A few RSD releases interested me enough to buy a turntable with a USB option.

I got a good recording for The Pogues / Joe Strummer release but, when I recorded REM and The Pixies, I didn't get a recording of all the songs. I'm sure it's me but, not sure what the issue is. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. JD

2. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

To my knowledge there isn't any good quality TT's with a USB option. Reason being, you would need all the features of a quality ADC built in before transfer via usb to the PC. Many vinyl users don't care about digital transfers. So not enough customer base to cover such a high quality TT. Thus the low end ones. I think they only do MP3's also? Correct? That about sums up the main problem.
    :cool: Elvis

By the way, great bands!! :edthumbs:
    Fill out your equipment profile so we can see what your working with.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Maxell-LN likes this.
  3. J_D__

I get the options for mp3 or Wav.

REM recorded each side as one song but, The Pixies album still has me puzzled.

4. ElvisCaprice

How does it sound without the recording, just playback? Can you do a straight analog playback with this TT? If not, then maybe you need to clean the vinyl?

5. Maxell-LN

Maxell-LN Forum Resident

Agree

Keep in mind, though you can record WAVs with USB turntable, the actual output through the USB connection is infterior as it is a MP3 stream. So if for example you are recording WAVs through your software such as Sound Forge or Audacity, your WAVs would simply be recordings of MP3s. The USB capacity for the audio is using equivalent to a 128k mp3 with a frequency cut off at around 12 to 13 Khrz, and if there is info above this frequency in the audio file, it usually is artifacts seen as columns in a visual audio spectrumiser.

My suggestion is get a half decent turntable such as a entry level Rega or Project (around $400), and I'm sure that Rega make a good ADC phono preamp that can be used for such a purpose.

6. ElvisCaprice

Sorry, I misread your posting. Your not worried about the quality, your just wondering why it didn't record. Not enough information to even guess at why. Hard drive full? What software are you using? Could be a lot of things going on.

:cool: Elvis

7. J_D__

I haven't done a straight analog playback as my receiver is challenging to get too. I will clean and try an analog playback. Thanks:)

8. J_D__

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.