Turntable Wall Mount Advice, Please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by quadjoe, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member Thread Starter

Hello, everyone. I've been redoing my den where I have my vintage quad system housed. I've just received my new bookcases/record storage units, and in the next day or so I'll be running all new speaker wire. I recently purchased a VPI 16.5 RCM, and I want to put it next to the Sansui receiver on the audio stand I have, which means there's no room for the turntable. So, I've been thinking about getting a wall mount for my Technics SL-1200MK2. In addition to giving me more space, it will also allow me to get the turntable farther away from the speakers, which will help avoid acoustic feedback. I was looking at the Pro-Ject Wall Mount It 1, and then I read a review online where a person who ordered one found the distance between the mounting screws to be 17" rather than 16". If that's really the case, that's a problem as I want to be sure that the mount is securely attached to the studs in the wall, and I have no desire to use any kind of toggle bolts to attach the shelf to the sheetrock itself.

Do any of you have any experience with this particular shelf? Is what I've read in a review accurate? If so, What about the Mount It 2? I'm not a handy person, so building one myself is out of the question (I want it to look nice), but I'm willing to spend up to $400 to get a wall-mount shelf that will work. Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

3. quadjoe

That did look promising, but I'm hearing that Target has gone or is going out of business, which is why ND shows it as currently unavailable. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say. Thanks!

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I just installed the Rega wall mount!

If you need to stud mount your shelf how about a nice finished piece of wood larger than the shelf mounting holes. The Plaque/shield (like a large cutting board) or whatever you call it gets lag bolted to the studs and the shelf gets bolted in turn to it. I used wall anchors for two of my supports and drilled a stud for the final one.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    floweringtoilet likes this.
  5. quadjoe

Nice installation! Is that on an exterior or load-bearing wall? Where I'm going to have to mount mine is on a non-bearing wall, which I know is fine since our house is built on a concrete slab. I've thought about mounting it on a board as you suggest as well, and I might just have to do it that way. The Rega wall mount looks great. Would it be possible to place a board on the cups for the Rega feet to adapt it for use with a different turntable?

6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I suppose you could adapt the Rega mount that way but I would spend the extra money and buy a Quadraspire or similar TT shelf if I didn't already own a couple of Rega decks. The install is on a gable end exterior wall.

7. John76

John76 Forum Resident

You might have a difficult time finding a turntable wall shelf with 16 inch mounts. What I did was use a backer board made of Baltic birch plywood painted the same color as the wall. I bolted that to the wall hitting the studs and then attached the wall shelf to that using lag bolts on each.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

We have all been thinking along the same lines!

9. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I can’t seem to post any pictures here but I went to Lowes and purchased two heavy duty shelf brackets.
    Then sandwiched two 3/4 inch thick pieces of plywood together and framed it with 1/4 inch veneer then stained it.
    You can see a little bit of the shelf in my avatar.

It works and looks great.

10. quadjoe

Very true about finding one. It seems that ones made by Pro-Ject, for example, are intended to be installed in masonry walls or as you've installed yours. I have found one that is specifically made with mounting holes spaced 16" on center. It's slightly more than I intended to spend, but it looks nice and I know it'll work for my situation. It's a SolidSteel WS-5 wall shelf, and Roger at Music Direct was very helpful, and offered lots of good advice.
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-72223-solidsteel-ws-5-wall-shelf.aspx

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It's going to be about 6 weeks before I get the shelf, but I'll post pics when I get it installed.

11. Albert Ellis

Albert Ellis New Member

12. quadjoe

Nice installation! I looked at that as well, but I wasn't sure about the mounting hole spacing on it.

13. Albert Ellis

Albert Ellis New Member

Thanks! The holes are 16" apart so I was able to screw it into the studs.

14. quadjoe

Excellent! Now I have to decide if I want to cancel my order from MD. The cost of that rack and an appropriately sized cutting board is far less than what I've ordered, and it's not going to be here for at least 6 weeks.

15. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I was following this link and the shelf is no longer offered. I didn't find it on Targets limited site either. Does anyone know if its still in production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.