Turtles new 2 cd sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

$12.79 each at Amazon US.

fitzysbuna and Lewisboogie like this.
  3. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

These are two-disc sets. Mono and stereo? Pretty cool for $12.79.

Myke likes this.
  4. Myke

I skipped the last round of reissues, but now...mono. Hmm, comparing track listings and such to my Sundazed stereo discs.

5. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

What tracks are on these discs that were not on the recent Manifesto label box set?

6. Myke

None that I can see, but Amazon has never been known for it's accuracy. Gets odd around the 4th album, track listing wise.

I'm selling my Sundazed tomorrow, and have pre ordered these. Mono + Bill Inglot again, is enough for me.

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I just now saw a picture of these posted by Shindig magazine on facebook. So what's on these that's not on the box? I didn't think they made 2 discs worth of material for each album for that box.

8. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The only difference is these new UK versions include the mono and stereo mixes on separate CDs. Otherwise they are the same as the 2016 US reissues.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  9. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

I think it's time I address the lack of Turtles material in my collection, and I'm looking at these releases. If I buy these, is there anything missing (e.g. 'b' sides etc)? Also, on Amazon UK, the cost of these 5 sets is close to the complete box set so which would be the better buy?

10. readr

readr Forum Resident

You'll need the 2 CD Singles collection released last year to have everything available. Actually, the box set of albums released last year is exactly the same as these two CD sets and may be cheaper....check amazon. And, there's a 2 CD released in the 90's called Solid Zinc that has a handful of gems not available on either of these new sets......mix variations.

Christopher B, eelkiller and Galley like this.
  11. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

Thanks, that gives me some food for thought!

readr likes this.
  12. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I have an HMV nearby and went in around 5 pm to find they had Turtle Soup in the racks. I made a return visit about 830 pm to ask if they had any of the other albums; but found they were all in the racks so, er, I bought 'em all at £9.99 each. They are very nicely presented, I must say.

13. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

14. Luke The Drifter

From what I can find, the Manifesto version of this is on 1 CD. The Edsel is the same tracklisting and mastering spread out over 2 cds.

Has anyone bought the Manifesto single disc yet? I am curious which packaging is better.

The Edsel is a digipack

Present The Battle Of The Bands - Demon Music Group

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  15. Luke The Drifter

Now I am not so sure. It seems the liner notes for the Edsel are by Andrew Sandoval, while the liner notes for the Manifesto are by Harold Bronson?

16. Luke The Drifter

I purchased the Edsel 2 cd set of Battle of the Bands. It comes in a nice digipack, which includes a small booklet with track information, and a short essay by Andrew Sandoval.

Disc 1 is the album with the nice new mastering by Bill Inglot. Disc 2 is the bonus tracks. Track 11 on the bonus tracks is the radio commercial, and after it is a hidden recording session for the harmonies on the middle part of Food.

I have not seen the single disc version on Manifesto to compare it to, but I would highly recommend this one.

Under $11.00 on Import CDs.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Do we have any idea what the bonus material might be here for Battle of the Bands? Singles/b-sides/outtakes or maybe mono?

18. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I haven't taken the plunge on any of these latest Turtles reissues. If I do, is there anything that will remain unique on the CDs I currently have? I have the Laserlight CDs, an Amazon.com CD-R of "Turtle Soup," Sundazed CDs of the other albums, and the "Save The Turtles" comp. Wasn't there a commercial or something included as a bonus track on the 1990s German CD of "The Battle Of The Bands" or something?

19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I DL'd a couple of these and have since ordered them from Amazon. The bonus material on Battle of The Bands and Wooden Heads is great. It's a mix, but mainly singles and some stereo remixes [of the first clutch of singles] tacked-onto Wooden Heads.

Are there any "Turtles" experts here who can vouch for the completeness of these sets? The two discs of Wooden Heads make for an interesting mix and as an odds 'n sods collection itself, it was a logical place to wrap up all the loose ends. But are there more loose ends?

Whenever I play The Turtles - and it's not all that often - my wife always asks me who it is. She really likes their style.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  20. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

This is the iTunes list:
    [​IMG]

The first six tracks are singles, A & B. I believe that track 7 was also a B-Side, as well as an EP track in the UK. The Owl appeared along with The Last Thing I Remember on a 12" picture disc EP on Rhino in the late-70's... I'm not sure if it came out "in its time." To See The Sun was the lead-off track on that Rhino EP. And then there's the alt-take of Earth Anthem and the Radio Spot plus studio chat.

This is the back cover of the Rhino picture disc:
    [​IMG]
    ...it says "Contains previously unreleases selections." Surfer Dan is from Battle OTB, but it isn't clear if all three of the others were outtakes at the time.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Tristero likes this.
  21. readr

readr Forum Resident

Three songs from the Rhino EP were previously unreleased......Surfer Dan is an alternate mix IIRC.

Guy E likes this.
  22. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

There was a time I would have killed for these; The Turtles were on my want list, but their stuff on CD was hard to find. Then, a record company issues these, like, 20 years later, and I'm, like, eh. Not that I don't appreciate them anymore, but I've just moved on in terms of what I'm listening to on a daily basis.

Regginold31 and mozz like this.
  23. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I found this low-rez image of an EP on London Records (UK?).
    [​IMG]

Was this a later creation or was The Last Thing I Remember issued in England back in the day?

24. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Guy E likes this.
  25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.