TV Commercials featuring songs or artists you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CraigVC, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought surely this topic would have already been covered (in an all-encompassing way) on these forums, but unless I overlooked the thread in the first 8 pages of results of a search for the word "commercial," the closest I found is this years-old thread with just a handful of posts:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/unexpected-songs-in-commercials.298426/

There are plenty of threads created that are dedicated to a single commercial ("Can't believe Pixies music was used in a commercial!" etc.), but none that I could see that would serve as a central place to share our experiences whenever we notice a TV commercial featuring one of our favorite bands or a song we like.

So (unless an active thread already exists and someone can point me to it), I'd like to establish this new thread as place where we all can post whenever we see a new TV commercial that features a song or artist/band that we like (or liked when we were younger).

Yesterday I saw two different TV commercials for the first time, each of which featured music by an artist that I like:
    • Brand - Artist - Song - Link to TV commercial
    What TV commercials have you been seeing recently that feature your favorite artists, bands, or songs?

Craig.

2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Not recent, but I remember Joanna Newsom's "This Side of the Blue" on an advert but can't remember what for.

And the brilliant Feist was on the Ipod Nano ad doing "1, 2, 3, 4".

Also remember The Velvet Underground's "I'm Sticking With You" on an advert - can't remember what that was for either.

More recently, "Stupidly Happy" by XTC was on an ad.

There's been loads!

3. Back in 2007, Volkswagen and Wilco teamed up for three commercials. The songs used were "Sky Blue Sky", "Walken", and "The Thanks I Get".

Fletch and Phil Tate like this.
  4. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I used to like the song Roam by the B-52s.

6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I never did like to hear songs I loved used in commercials and that feeling hasn't changed one bit.

the sands, hardknox and PackmanJim like this.
  7. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

ARK likes this.
  8. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

There was a commercial a few years back from Intel for the Pentium chip that had a rocked up version of "I Feel Pretty" from the "Sound Of Music". Kinda of sounded like Fountains of Wayne, would've loved to track it down.

9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Yeah! How dare an artist you love get paid! The nerve!

Vidiot, PackmanJim, Turmatic and 2 others like this.
  10. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I remember a friend seeing/hearing it and saying it was awful - I had the delight of telling him who it was and I'm not sure he thought I was being serious (!) Google throws up Hyundai and a car one sounds likely but I'm not finding anything on You Tube; I think I'll dig a little more...

BUT I remember this one below very well and unusually, I approved. I thought that the more people hear The Velvets, the better. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Phil Tate likes this.
  11. OneStepBeyond

Got it!

From 0:43

Phil Tate likes this.
  12. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Exactly! I'm a big fan of stand-up comedy, and I love spotting someone I like in an advert (which happens often), especially if they're not a big name. I don't think "oh they've sold out", I think "excellent, they can pay their mortgage for a few months!"

Danby Delight likes this.
  13. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I used to kind of like Wilson Phillips, but the use of their "Hold On", featuring Carnie Wilson in a recent Progressive commercial, was a bit of a comedic stretch, in my opinion. But maybe I don't care for the "tone" of Flo or Carnie in it, rather than the use of the song?

Why is it that commercials love to tap into that magical place I call "great memories", always using songs that a consultant of a radio station today would say tested poorly and would never play it in a million years, but the advertisers feel it has worth (and they usually do)? I often wonder if I missed my calling working in the advertising world, rather than wasting so many years of my life working in radio where nothing matters anymore?

Vidiot likes this.
  15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

And then they screwed up the potential for bagging more new VU fans by

a) releasing a spin-off single which utilized the just-released and hardly-heard 'Live 1993' version, and NOT the studio version (why??).
    b) taking the track off all together for late runs of the ad which made no sense without the music.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

No wonder I've so little faith in the world of advertising. :sigh:

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I
    I Feel Pretty is from West Side Story.....just sayin'.

18. "Turn It Around" by Lucius is being used in a new Samsung cell phone commercial.

19. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

The Creation's "Making Time" was featured in TWO different commercials recently that ran at the same time. I can't remember what the first one was for, but the other was for adult diapers... WHY o_O

20. John54

John54 Senior Member

There's a current commercial - I think it's for a women's beauty product of some kind - which features either an instrumental bit of Edwyn Collins' A Girl Like You or something that sounds a lot like it.

21. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

22. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident

Like A Rock - Bob Seger

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

A very old ad but one that I love - for a now defunct Australian airline (TAA). The jingle uses the title & tune from Up Up & Away.

iloveguitars and Joy-of-radio like this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Hundred Waters got a superbowl gig last year in a pretty cool Coca Cola ad, not sure how much it did for them, but opening song from one of my favorite albums of 2013 ...

25. I avoid any commercials that are goi g to ruin my fav songs. I have no problem with the artist making money (it is their song of course) but I don't have to watch them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.