TV guilty pleasures, the foreign language edition...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeyH, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King Thread Starter

I've got over the air access to more than a few curious channels with compelling content that I have no way of understanding.

How about you? Do you enjoy things on non-English TV that you have no real idea about?

First up, something easy. Tengo Talento, Mucho Talento is like the bastard child of American Idol, Survivor, and that horrid reality show with the rat helmets. Last night someone's talent was crunching live bugs.

Those who think they have talent have to convince the judges not to hit their '!Fuera!' buttons and let them through to the next round. There's a 'post performance' cry-box interview by comedians. If the less than talented outstay the welcome time, a HUGE 'Blues Bro' comes on and carries them off. Forget that hook thing.

This show needs subtitles, or better still a new subtrack from the guys who did the Japan original of what is now WipeOut. It's on Estrella TV, which seems to be some sort of crazy millionaire's fun box or tax dodge.

It's must-cringe TV, for sure.

2. MikeyH

Highlights from the latest season of Tengo Talento include more than a few dancers, some with poles (including a gymnastic duo who rip their shirts off).

Most bizarre: a 'nightclub' (?) act of a tall skinny girl in glasses who can do long multiplication and division fast on a stage board. Judges are given calculators to verify the results. When she gets it wrong she takes off an item of clothing.

That one lasted a while until she reached the tv-14 limit. Mucho hilario.

Other things I'm watching include Vietnamese soap opera (worth it for the product placement alone) and there are a number of very strange Chinese antique analysis shows a la Roadshow but like the dating games, with a twist, crazy noises, and often destruction (generally just BEFORE they tell the poor owner it's a worthless fake)

Don't even attempt to follow the Estrella TV version of 'real housewives' where improbably endowed and dressed aging models behave badly everywhere.

3. MikeyH

This is Blanca Cecilia Alvidrez, and I predict she will win this season. Video is a phone film of her audition performance.

If her dress on the semi-final show had a vote, it would win on it's own.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  4. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

We had a big explosion of LatinAmerican Soup Operas on Spanish TV in the early 90's and I think either scripts, production values and acting left much to be desired, but it was a cheap way to fill in the gaps of a day programming. Nobody watch them now, and they are only (to my knowledge) run on one over the air channel. Spanish and Latin Americans may share the same languaje (which is native from Spain, of course) although that can be questioned as an ocean and 500 years separated both cultures, but we DON'T definetely share the same tastes. I think from the mid 70's on Spanish television has produced, in general, there are some exceptions, fairly good series with great production values, and I think this is more that can be said even of today's Latin American series, cheap cheap products with no script and bad acting. Just my 0.02 $.

5. MikeyH

Yes, it's definitely not highbrow entertainment on that channel. But I can't watch any more cop/body parts drama and that's what's everywhere else in the evenings now.

I actually find the culture references and jokes interesting, though often a lot of web searching and reading is necessary.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This show on The Simpsons is funny:

[​IMG]

7. MikeyH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Cheto

The Friday semi final featured Don Cheto (link above, one of the judges) a lot when he played with the audience.

Previously, he'd awarded one of his trademark shirts (fluorescent green satin Hawiian style) to one of the girl singers' fathers. Because he looked just like Don, of course. Don swapped places with the man after his daughter's performance, and while the father 'critiqued' the perfomance from the judges table Don flirted with the singer's mom to the delight of the audience. I don't think this is scripted, and it adds to the show's fun.

There's no telling what will happen in the 'Gran Finale' which is probably next week.

8. MikeyH

Well, Blanca only made it to the final 5. The winner was the more generously endowed Cecilia, who shouted her way to victory (though she did have the best parents in the competition, the aforementioned Don Cheto-alike father and the mother who suffered honorably when the actual Cheto swapped places with him).

Our next subject is WHAT'S UP WITH ALL THOSE SILLY GAME NOISES ON CHINESE DATING SHOWS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.