TV Interviewers who are embarrassing to watch

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This one has nothing to do with politics, despite any example I could offer is from my "favorite-network-that-the-other-network-doesn't-like"; but, there's nothing more awkward than a guest who chooses to go on a show he doesn't agree with, then proceeds to shout-down the host, or continue talking so he doesn't have to look like he knows the host is speaking to him...when the host is perfectly willing to let the guest make his own point, so long as he can ask follow-up questions and get a fair answer. This is the talk-show equivalent of a spoiled little kid sticking his fingers in his ears and shouting "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LAAAAAA!" rather than act civil. It's repugnant and juvenile, and certainly doesn't bring the audiece any closer to his point of view.

There are certain parts of the viewing audience who, as in many governmental situations I won't speak about today, want complete chaos from the institutions they oppose, and don't really feel honest, earnest journalistic practices belong there if they don't like the content. So, while they may want to see this sort of guest-bomb "make hay" out of a perfectly-topical interview segment, it certainly doesn't do anything for the audience who regularly watches the show, who does relate to the host's intentions. So, they try to give the guest a fair podium, and all they get is wasted air time, and ramping-up the discomfort factor. And all I can do is shake my head and tell myself, "well, at least one of 'em is a class act..."

2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes that’s the one. The host was really giddy

3. DaleClark

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think dick showing the album and having ravi on is the promo, im sure George knows this as well, this is kind of like when john bring yoko on shows and they would always focus on beatles etc. its what people what to know about

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It’s
    It’s a shame he screwed up. I have been feeling like not only were the women victims, but so were the loyal viewers (obviously in another way). Just so utterly irresponsible on so many levels. What was he, and others, thinking?

All that aside, Rose was the only one left that I actually looked forward to watching. He was a masterful interviewer, well prepared and he knew how to let his guest’s talk. There is literally not a single interview show left I watch. I was shocked somebody I respected and admired so much, as a master of his craft, could behave as he did. You would think people with that kind of responsibility, and respect, could just be happy and satisfied with that...and one awesome partner. I just don’t get it.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  6. DaleClark

I agree. I think one major reason Interview Shows stink is because we know everything already. With social media, youtube, Google, etc....an artists opinions, activities, inspirations are already known. If Paul McCartney sat down with Larry King, what would we find out that is not already known? Maybe some inspirations on new material, etc...but Larry would focus on the normal Beatles questions that have been asked over and over again for the last 40 years.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Back in the early '80's I was an ad designer and graphic production artist for an entertainment tabloid promoting south Texas Padre Island tourism. My boss, who was the editor, writer and layout producer formerly from Ithaca NY, told me as a college journalism major he took the chance to go back stage after a Bob Dylan concert to ask Mr. Dylan for an interview for his college newspaper.

Bob said, "Sure kid, just as long as you don't ask me any stupid questions".

My boss answered..."Who's your favorite Beatle?". He told me Bob laughed and waved him in to do the interview.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. John54

John54 Senior Member

It may depend on the interviewee. There's a well-known interview by a U. K. personality named Cathy Newman that has become infamous for its cringeworthiness.

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Jiminy Glick
    (Just kidding. Martin Short is magnificent)

10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Oh gawd.

As an American I cringe with embarrassment at just simply the sight of her mug. Instantly the term "dimwit" comes to my mind. Her interview with Russian President Vladimir Putin was a new historical low in American journalism. I could not believe it as I watched it. I just kept shaking my head and muttering "idiot", "idiot". She had the demeanor of a religious zealot madwoman. Just look at her eyes. I mean, come on, couldn't they have found a real journalist (assuming there are any real journalists around anymore) to interview the president of the world's second most powerful nuclear state? No one? Just her? Doesn't matter what your politics are, sending her to interview him was just a great way to demonstrate for the world how savagely stupid the American mainstream media is. If you haven't seen the interviews, you should see them. No matter what you think of the Russian president, if you're like me you'll find yourself sympathising with the looks of sheer exasperation and incredulity that come across his face as he listens to this buffoon. He actually looks dumbfounded at times as he listens to her, like he's thinking to himself, "They sent her?! Really?!!" I still cringe remembering it. It's as if the US sent its top high school cheerleader -- who got a C- in history -- to conduct a complex interview with one of the most important international actors on the world scene, someone whose finger is literally on the button as is the US President's, and thought this was a sharp move. Wait -- strike that. Not "as if."

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  11. Cathy Newman of the UK's Channel 4 is pretty terrible. Nothing like a lightweight who can't vary from talking points trying for a "gotcha!" moment.

12. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Charlie Rose. Never understood why he was so in demand (until his recent "issues"). He was either nauseatingly obsequious or totally unprepared. You knew he'd lost the thread when his question was "because...?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.