TV Series Premier- MODERN FAMILY

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jh901, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow. I haven't laughed so hard during a network sitcom in a long time. I don't know how the first season will play out, but the series premier was pretty close to brilliant.

Anyone else enjoy?

http://abc.go.com/shows/modern-family/index

turnersmemo likes this.
  2. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I enjoyed it so much I added it as a series record to my DVR. Hope the rest of the episodes are as well done.

3. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

I didn't like the way the camera kept jumping.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That was great! Excellent pilot. I was laughing out loud through the whole thing. I hope the show can live up to that the rest of the way.

I didn't see this at all. Not sure what you mean. Do you mean a shaky cam, or you didn't like the way it was edited?

5. jh901

Yeah, I nearly hurt myself laughing. I would be surprised if the show makes it beyond this season. That pilot episode set a pretty high mark and I'm skeptical about their ability to live up to that standard. I plan to tune in, so maybe I'm wrong!!

Shaky cam?

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Great show! Did any of you see that ending coming?

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I was quite surprised.

8. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Ha! I pointed the same thing out to my girlfriend while we were watching. The phrase I used was, "this director is too self aware". It was really noticeable on the stairway scenes.

Thought the show was very well done, hope it has legs. Of course, I also said, "this is too good for network tv, it's never going to make it." Please be wrong...

9. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

I felt sea sick watching it.

10. jh901

Curious if there is a correlation between those distracted by "shaky cam" and lack of film viewing experience. Willing to bet that those who see 100+ films/yr are less likely to associate various cinematography techniques, subtitles, etc with annoyance....

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It has never bothered me. I really don't even notice it.

12. agentalbert

I don't know if your theory is right, but I'm curious about this too. Some seem extremely sensitive to this. I didn't notice it one bit. My GF noticed it a little, but only when I asked her if she did because I was surprised to read people complaining about it. She said it was done with a hand held camera, but it wasn't shaky.

It's too bad it bother some people so much, because its a great show.

13. agentalbert

Could you elaborate on what happened here? My DVR recording cut off maybe 30 seconds or so early, I think. I remember the guy (the wanna be cool dad) talking and him playing basketball with his son. Did I miss something?

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What I'm referring to is the fact that they turn out to be members of the same family.

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I think "shaky cam" is something that either bothers you or you don't even notice it. I'm in the latter camp.

"Smeary cam" is another story. That fake film effect makes it look so strange when people move their heads or their arms. It's like "trails" when you're on acid. Now that drives me crazy. It's used on many of the cooking shows on the Food Network, and also on All My Children. I don't watch AMC, so no biggie there, but I can't stand to watch Rachael Ray's more recent seasons (some consider that a good thing).

16. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

our house loved it, and we're looking forward to more episodes. good writing.

17. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I hated the shakey cam thing...yuck, made me and my wife almost vomit. Seemed they overused that effect to cover lack of any real humor.

18. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

"I'm the hip dad, I text...OMG, Oh my god. LOL, laugh out loud. WTF, why the face."

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What do you like on TV? I thought it was funny, and I usually hate comedies. I'm not going to watch it because it's on opposite a show I like more, but if it weren't, I'd probably watch it.

20. agentalbert

Or, you're too sensitive to anything but a stable as a mountain camera to be able to detect the humor.

21. jh901

So this is a bit of a thread crap. You didn't bother with any insight at all whatsoever. Which sitcoms currently on network tv do you appreciate?

There are some shows that we ALL must laugh at as we are all share at least a few human experiences in common. The pilot of Modern Family DEFINITELY had at least a few moments where nearly anyone living in our world today would have to find humorous. Most of us grew up in either a traditional or non-traditional household. We were all once teens, etc, etc....

So please Kevin, bless us with your observations.

22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Sorry to make such a quick comment, but didnt have time to go in depth. Humor is a hard thing to understand, and I went in hoping to love this show believe it or not, but to me it just fell flat. I did laugh some at the stuff at the end about his gay son and live in uh boyfriend. But overall I didnt find it really all that funny, im not sure WHY.......:confused:

I do love Scrubs and Seinfeld mostly. King of queens I like quite a lot. Two and a half men is good, Simpsons, Family Guy. But honestly Scrubs took several episodes to really get me. So im gonna give this show a few more turns and see if it grows on me. Honestly the shaky cam thing can be very annoying to some people and its mood dependent I found out recently. We watched the Blair Witch movie and my wife was literally getting sick feeling watching the shakiness of it, and I was fine the whole way through, except for a few minor parts. I only mention the shaky cam thing as several I know who saw Modern Family commented on it also. So it must be a thing that really bothers some and doesnt others.

23. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Another thing....I will give it a chance, as im open to most comedies. Perhaps I caught it on a bad night, as I said the shaky cam actually made me sick. But I did watch Cougar Town afterwards and settled down. That show made me laugh a bit more, but it has severe limitations based on its initial premise.

24. jh901

fair enough....

It will take an entire season to convince me that any series might have staying power....but the pilot of Modern Family was downright funny from end to end....

As for "shaky cam", I watched the pilot a 2nd time and I can see how this might distract those who don't watch many films....foreign, documentaries, etc, etc....my position is that the more exposure one has to subtitles and various other potential "turn-offs", the more one is likely to be comfortable...

looking forward to episode 2 tomorrow....and Cougar Town too...

25. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I really hope this one lasts. Just watched the 2nd episode off the DVR last night and I thought it was great. My wife made a point to ask if I had set a season pass for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.