TV Show Westerns - What are your favorites/least favorites and why?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by melstapler, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I don't dispute a word you've said, Harry, but I think you're being a little harsh. Even with the trims and 0nly okay quality there is more to be gained from watching these episode than not. 97% of each episode is intact and the picture quality is sufficient to enjoy. I could adjust the color and contrast and brightness as needed but perhaps this inconsistency isn't as pronounced on my JVC. I accept the inconsistencies and just watch. Too, GUNS OF WILL SONNETT is an above average program in the story sense. Of course I wish the 35mm elements had been scanned for a hi-def release, but until they are, I recommend everyone buy this set.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    HGN2001 likes this.
  2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

These have already been mentioned, but here are my favorites:

Big Valley
    Rifleman
    High Chaparral

Least favorite are any of the more hokey-type ones. Roy Rogers, Lone Ranger, etc.
    Also, while I enjoy Bonanza, I always laugh at how Ben and his boys are always out riding but they never have a speck of dust on Adam's black hat, Little Joe's green jacket, etc. Their clothes always look like they've just been washed and pressed by Hop Sing.

3. Richard--W

I'm convinced that the intent of, and the value of, The Lone Ranger was to give youngsters good role models. Although it's never stated in the clear text, the Texas Ranger and the Indian are by definition adversaries in the real west, but in The Lone Ranger they work together, they know how to get along, they depend on one another, and they always manage to help those who need it. They do the right thing. There is no racial prejudice. Sounds overly simplified, but for the intended audience -- children -- the message was just right.

The new Disney version of The Lone Ranger introduced a feminist agenda that is destructive, I believe. The Lone Ranger is deconstructed, Tonto is made to look ridiculous, and their motives and behavior are corrupted. They are males, after all. The two stars failed to stand up for the material, or they were completely clueless and only out for the money. I was quite disgusted by the film.

Children need good role models in television and movies, not politically corrected interpretations.

Texastoyz, billh and Benno123 like this.
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I absolutely agree with you. Many of the classic western TV shows (and also a lot of non-western TV shows) were strong on morality.
    My comment on the Lone Ranger was that I don't enjoy watching it today as I did back in the day as a kid. I just find it to be a bit more hokey than some other Westerns that I do enjoy watching today on networks like MeTV and Antennae TV. That is not to negate its impact in role modeling for young people back in the day. I never saw the Disney Lone Ranger (or even the previous remake back in the 1980's) because they both looked bad from the previews, and while Depp has made some good films, I generally don't like his acting when he's playing well known fictional characters (Willie Wonka, Madd Hatter, etc)

5. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

The original sleeve for Don McLean's American Pie has a tribute to William Boyd - Hopalong Cassidy.

So Long Hopalong Cassidy

No matter how scary life got I could depend on you
    You had that easy smile and white, wavy hair
    You were my favorite father figure with two guns blazing
    Not even Victor Jory could stand up to those 44-40s you packed
    And that stallion you rode, I think his name was Topper
    He was so beautiful and white he even came when you whistled
    I've always liked black and I loved your clothes
    Black hat, black pants, and shirt
    Silver spurs and two guns in black holsters with pearly-white handles
    Black and white, that was you Hoppy
    The bad men fell the good guys lived on
    The ladies touched your hand but never kissed
    Whenever John Carradine asked a question you'd say
    "That comes under the heading of my business"
    Then you'd call for another sarsparilla
    I believed in you so much that I'd take my Stetson
    off and put it over my heart whenever anybody died
    My hat's off to you, Hoppy
    Say good-bye to all the boys at the Bar-20
    The black and white days are over
    So long Hopalong Cassidy

Don McLean

[​IMG]

source: http://www.b-westerns.com/hoppy6.htm

Speaking of Hopalong:
    Lyrics from "Its Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas"
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
    Toys in every store
    But the prettiest sight to see
    Is the holly that will be
    On your own front door

A pair of Hop-a-long boots and a pistol that shoots
    Is the wish of Bonny and Ben

geo50000 likes this.
  6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Perhaps. It's just that in the age of Blu-rays when we get close to perfection on video transfers, these GUNS OF WILL SONNETT transfers from KingWorld/Timeless leave a lot to be desired. Yes you can enjoy the episodes, and their stories and messages DO come through. In fact, I recommend the full-series box rather than spending more on two individual seasons. You can often find the series at Cracker Barrel!

Harry

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Would you believe Hopalong Cassidy, decades after his death, is STILL the 'spokesman' for Producers Dairy?
    It's "Hoppy's Favorite!"
    http://www.producersdairy.com/history/history.html

Alan G. and MaltairX like this.
  8. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

9. Richard--W

Raymond Chandler ridiculed Hopalong Cassidy, the early TV program, in the novel The Long Goodbye (published 1954) generally considered one of the finest crime noirs ever written. So it took me a long time to come around to the Hopalong films. I like the 1930s films. Haven't seen the program yet, but understand the first season consisted of the films broken into two parts.

10. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

"The Rebel" with Nick Adams.

"Laramie" with Robert Fuller and John Smith.

"Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater"

"Shenandoah" with Robert Horton.

"Wagon Train"...with Ward Bond and Horton.

"Whispering Smith" with Audie Murphy and Guy Mitchell.

"26 Men" with Tris Coffin.

"Tombstone Territory"

alexpop likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I remember as a kid thinking how corny Gene Autry was!

12. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

"Broken Arrow" with John Lupton and Michael Ansara.

13. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

One episode, "Hondo and the Judas", is crying out for cult status. Hondo receives a mysterious note implying Col Quantrill, with whose Raiders Hondo rode during the war, is still alive. Hondo ends up attending a Raiders reunion, including Frank and Jesse James (played by John Agar and Ricky Nelson!).

16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

One man's corny is another man's admirable.

Gene Autry's Cowboy Code:

1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
    2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
    3. He must always tell the truth.
    4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
    5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
    6. He must help people in distress.
    7. He must be a good worker.
    8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
    9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.
    10. The Cowboy is a patriot.

17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Daniel Boone: "Nightmare"

On the trail returning home to Boonesborough, the Boone family is attacked by renegade Shawnees. When Daniel is captured, his young son Israel must somehow rescue him.

One of the best episodes of the series, an action-filled classic that is basically one long chase. Direction credited to veteran George Marshall (The Blue Dahlia, Destry Rides Again)

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

This past weekend I watched an episode of Cheyenne and it was a crossover/team-up between him, Sugarfoot, and Bronco! Tellyawhat, it's surprising how the mind works. It's been 5+ decades and while I can easily remember many of the Cowboy shows, Sugarfoot and Bronco weren't among them. But as soon as they appeared it was instantaneous recollection!;)

19. I vaguely remember Sugarfoot, but I'm drawing a blank on Bronco.

Was this one of the episodes on YouTube? Do you have a link? I'm curious now what Bronco was about, I thought I knew all the oaters from this era.

20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

Big fan of the show "Bronco," starring Ty Hardin
    [​IMG]

21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'm not sure if you are aware of it or not, but "The Westerner" (complete series) is now available from Shout! Factory... I bought it at Walmart, but I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere or if it's a Walmart exclusive.

22. Grand_Ennui

Quoting dialog from "Stand By Me" are we? :)

buzzzx likes this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

There are a lot of good series listed in this thread, most of which I've at least heard of, if not seen... There are some that are mentioned as being available on DVD now which I'm tempted to seek out...

Some mentioned in this thread that I also enjoy are "Have Gun, Will Travel", "Rawhide", "The Loner", "The Westerner", "Wagon Train", "Wanted Dead or Alive", "Kung Fu", and another good (but short lived) series I'd like to mention is "Custer".

24. Grand_Ennui

Forgot to add "Gunsmoke" to the list as well...

Also, it's a good show, and I like it, but is "Daniel Boone" considered a Western? I can see where it could be in terms of some of the action and situations, but it's set in the South before the American Revolution, so do people consider it a Western, or maybe "Western-like"?

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I only watched The Big Valley occasionally, never much a fan of TV Westerns unless you count F Troop.

I liked 'that blonde'; didn't recognize her when Dynasty premiered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.