TV Shows that didn't hang around long enough (aka Brilliant but Cancelled)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Nobody liked Jericho?

3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Says a broke ass divorced dad, check with you local library and the county or state inter-library loan system. I'm to cheap to buy movies so I borrowed the 35th anniversary Blu-ray of the original Halloween for a Friday night movie with my children.

4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The Mary Hartman DVD set is over a hundred dollars, though it's probably a bargain seeing as there are 38 discs. Canadian libraries are great for National Film Board and British DVDs, and documentaries, but not so much anything deemed 'commercial'. By contrast it was a bit of a shock knowing the Seattle library had the complete Hawaii Five-O tv series for checking out!

mdm08033 likes this.
  5. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

The Chris Isaak Show ran for 47 episodes.

Fictionalized version of Chris Isaak and his band.

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

7. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Personally I thought the third season in general was the jumping the shark moment. I love the first season of the show and while I don't like the second season as much it was still very good. But the 3rd season is when it went downhill and never recovered. I don't think giving as much emphasis on the Johnny character like they did would have helped the 3rd season as well. I don't think FOX moving it to Thursday nights helped its cause much either. If Mischa Barton didn't leave I don't know what else they could have done with her character since they had already done so much with her through the 3rd season.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I really miss R&R Jeopardy. What is nothing else on so-called music channel I watch anymore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. That ep is a key exhibit in the case against the early years being any sort of flawless golden age.

fr in sc likes this.
  10. Fatally flawed from the beginning when they centered the show on a completely inappropriate murder subplot.

eddiel likes this.
  11. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wouldn't consider any show which ran longer than 2 years for this topic.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I miss Rock And Roll Jeopardy...I used to kick ass at that one, as I'm sure most of us here did:laugh:

Matthew Tate and the pope ondine like this.
  13. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I'm unearthing this thread because several people mentioned "Szysznyk," a very short-lived TV show from '77 that starred Ned Beatty.

Does anyone have an audio copy of its theme song? It's a country-esque number I've never forgotten, but I've never been able to find it in any corner of the Web. Someone, somewhere had to tape an episode. Anyone? Bueller?

14. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Did they axe it after the main character got disemvowelled?

15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Planet of the Apes"
    "Alien-Nation"
    "The Night Stalker"
    "The Loner"

16. Grand_Ennui

I've heard that "Alien-Nation" *was* initially renewed (which helps explain the season ending cliff-hanger), but FOX decided to go the route of sitcoms rather than having "AN" go on... They (FOX) were mistaken to do so...

17. Grand_Ennui

Agreed on that one...

RickH likes this.
  18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I wish the 2002 Animated Series of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe never got cancelled after 2 seasons. Season 3 would have introduced She-Ra - not unlike the awful series that premiered on Netflix as of late (that's another story).

Sammy Banderas and Livewire91 like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Regarding "Apes"- I really wish the powers that be would have allowed the show to at least finish out the season, then reschedule it to a better night/time-slot over the summer where it might have picked up more viewers (like what happened with "M*A*S*H")... And, they should have paid attention to what was going on in the UK when they started airing "Apes", where it was close to a block-buster... I don't think they (CBS) knew what they had, especially if the show would have been allowed more time to find its feet...

Jack Lord and andybeau like this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

Agreed... While I was reading this thread, I thought to myself that quite a few of the titles I'm seeing were on for 3 seasons or more and I thought the might belong in a "TV series you miss" thread or something like that, not a "cancelled too soon" thread...

21. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Get A Life

Pete Puma, lightbulb and Grand_Ennui like this.
  22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The Feather And Father Gang. Was really bad but I watched it for Stephanie Powers and I was devastated when they cancelled it.

[​IMG]

23. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

this is probably redundant but: Rubicon is one of my favorite shows ever and lasted only one season

and, of course: Firefly

24. AceFrehleyJr

AceFrehleyJr Doesn't Believe The Hype

SMALL WONDER!!!!!

25. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

4 seasons and 96 episodes. Hardly short-lived.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.