TV Shows that didn't hang around long enough (aka Brilliant but Cancelled)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Read up on the history of Riverboat (a show that should have been a classic) especially Burt Reynolds thoughts on working with McGavin. His portrait of DM is not flattering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

And it was IN COLOR!

BZync likes this.
  3. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Longstreet[1971]very good series with James Franciscus and Bruce Lee,Baby I'm Back[Demond Wilson]very funny.

4. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Might be time for a Richard Matheson appreciation thread, as he wrote:

A Stir Of Echoes - Turned into a movie in 1999
    Bid Time Return - AKA Somewhere In Time with Christopher Reeve
    Button, Button - First a Twilight Zone episode, then turned into the movie The Box
    Duel - Steven Spielberg's first movie
    I Am Legend - Filmed no less than three times, once as The Omega Man with Charleton Heston
    Legend of Hell House - Or Return To Hell House
    Steel - First a Twilight Zone episode, then the feature film Real Steel
    Terror At 20,000 Feet - The famous Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner
    The Incredible Shrinking Man

Along with dozens of episodes of The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Night Gallery, Amazing Stories, and "The Enemy Within" episode for Star Trek.

It's somewhat dumbfounding that he isn't more of a household name.

phillyal1 and Frankh like this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I liked it a lot once I turned the subtitles on. Before that the sound design was so crappy I couldn't understand what anyone was saying.

6. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

Better off Ted was wacky fun

Dr. Bogenbroom, Solaris, DLD and 2 others like this.
  7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The macerator, andybeau and DaveySR like this.
  8. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Wow, I totally forgot about this. I could feel the dust falling off this memory as I read your post. Maybe more details will come.:unhunh:

9. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Flashforward. This series is the reason I no longer watch a new show until they have three or four seasons aired. I don't like investing time and interest in a show that will never reach it's conclusion.

[​IMG]

FlashForward is a science fiction drama series, starring an ensemble cast headed by Joseph Fiennes as special agent Mark Benford. Without any prior warning or indication, the entire human race blacks out at once for 2 minutes and 17 seconds. Over 20 million people died from road collisions and other accidents during the Blackout. As a result, government agencies begin to try and determine the cause of the "Global Blackout" or GBO. As stories of people's experiences during the blackout are shared, it is soon clear that the majority of people experienced visions, each taking place at exactly the same time - six months into the future. Each person saw 137 seconds of what appeared to be their future - a 'FlashForward.' However, not everybody experienced a vision, and many of those who saw nothing during the Blackout must face the possibility that they have less than six months to live.

4_everyman, BZync, FVDnz and 10 others like this.
  10. Dan Curtis had nothing to do with the series. It was produced by someone else with Universal.

11. As I recall, McGavin had nothing to do with that. ABC and Universal bypassed Curtis and even Jeff Rice. Rice elected to sue them and got creator credit on it. McGavin and Oakland both agreed to return with McGavin saying he would only return if he got a piece of the action and be credited as a producer on the show (which Universal didn't do). Dan Curtis declined stating that he thought it was "a bad idea" (Night Stalker ). Without Curtis, Richard Matheson declined to return as he wanted to work with Curtis on the series.

McGavin had a verbal agreement with Sid Sheinberg that McGavin would be an executive producer but Universal didn't honor the agreement. Regardless, McGavin worked 7 days a week to make the series as good as possible but, without an executive producer to insure the quality of the scripts and supervise the show, it was a losing battle. McGavin had conflicts with producer Cy Chermak over the quality of the series but not Curtis.

12. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

13. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

:thumbsup:

That was a good one. I was disappointed when that was canceled after one season.

A great show on FX called Terriers was also canceled in 2010 after one season.

14. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

UNSUB, CSI before CSI.

15. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Sleepwalkers (1997-1998) on NBC.

[​IMG]

It starred Bruce Greenwood, Naomi Watts (in an early role just a few years before Mulholland Drive), and Abraham Benrubi (from ER) as sleep researchers who enter people's dreams to help the afflicted with their psychological problems or to solve crimes. It was basically Dreamscape meets The X-Files. If NBC had left it alone it was good enough to probably find its footing and catch on. However, only two episodes were broadcast on the east coast before it was canceled while seven episodes ended up being seen on the west coast. The last two episodes were never broadcast in North America. You can get six of the nine episodes on DVD as an import from Australia and Italy. Or you can find it on YouTube. :winkgrin:

The best episode is "S01-E02: Counting Sheep".

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

@kinkling

Nice to see someone else realize how great Once And Again was. To me, that's one of the finest of the century so far. And they still have never released the final season on DVD!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Jack Lord likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Outlaws
    Invasion
    Nowhere Man
    Bronk

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, the wife and I liked Pan-Am.

BwanaBob and BZync like this.
  19. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Life on Mars (US) Great Show that ran one season ( 2008-2009) . ABC blew it with this show. It was a great flashback to 70’s police with a modern day cop thrown back in time. Humorous, great music and storyline. ABC decided to cancel it midway through the first season and hence a stupid rushed finale was created to end the show. I haven’t seen the BBC original yet. Heard it was excellent.

ABC was stupid not to run this show at least 3 seasons . It would have made it on FX.

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

21. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

A few recent shows I forgot about. Recent for me is the 90s, which when you get to my age seems like 2 weeks ago:

Cupid
    Brooklyn Bridge
    Vengeance Unlimited
    Grosse Point

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. picket131

picket131 Forum Resident

Southland
    The Black Donnellys
    Rubicon (previously mentioned)

23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The Job...an early 2000's ABC series with Denis Leary. Basically a prototype for Rescue Me except it's a bunch of dysfunctional New York City cops instead of firefighters. Lasted about two seasons before ABC yanked it- let's just say the series pushed the boundaries of Standards and Practices one or two times too many. It was a very funny show, half hour sitcom, but Leary and Peter Tolan obviously realized they could only get away with so much on network prime time TV- hence, I suppose, why Rescue Me was on cable where there's a lot more latitude as far as what you can get away with (language, sex, etc)

audiofool and Jack Lord like this.
  24. John54

John54 Senior Member

Quark

25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Mighty Orbots (Wikipedia Link: Mighty Orbots - Wikipedia )

Great show that had potential. Unfortunately, according to Wikipedia it was cancelled after only 13 episodes due to a lawsuit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.